No announcement yet.

2021 265BH propane heater & thermostat problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Brian for passing this along. Also I am trying to figure out how to do the @ thing but I am very much not computer savvy, guess I will get there eventually. Again thanks. Dave.
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

Hello all, a couple nights ago i found some small gauge speaker wire and crimps and cut out the temp sender from within the AC unit. Spliced in the extra 2 feet and fed that out the grill. experimented with placement (makes big difference!) and settled on taping it to the speaker by the couch outside the bunks. works great! keeps a comfortable temp in the unit all night and actually doesn't seem to come on as much even though we are in the teens at night. It's an ugly splice job but i need to order some super fine stranded signal wire (26 guage) to make it look better. I'm still a bit shocked at the lame location and missing such a critical detail. NOW, onto why my 12 volt Furrion refrigerator which hasn't turned off once since we got our unit! even on the lowest setting. ALL the food gets ruined and freezes! ALL of it! Knowing my luck with this $36,000 trailer the thermostat is somewhere ridiculous. really sucks to throw so much food away.

Comment

Hopefully by now GDRV is aware of these (IMO) poorly engineered HVAC units from Furrion. In they are not, please pass on a link to this thread to the Transcend team and any other line considering putting these units on a trailer.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I wonder if the intent from Furrion is that the probe be installed somewhere in the rig, similar to the thermostat? The sensor could be anywhere and cable could be run from it back to the unit to read temperature anywhere in the rig.

Or it’s just a bad design....
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

That is what i have been hoping.. but i've got the unit all apart and cannot even find the circuit board yet....

Comment

Originally posted by dave brown View Post
              That is what i have been hoping.. but i've got the unit all apart and cannot even find the circuit board yet....
              That’s not promising then. If the intent was to remote the sensor it would have some kind of connector or splice to extend the wiring.

Neil Citro

Comment

Sorry Neil, i was responding on the wrong subject. there clearly was no intent to relocate this little sensor. It was on the end of about 3 inches of wire and kinda suspended in the inside of the AC unit behind the air cleaner. clearly not intended to relocate

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Please read thru this thread and the other one that has been linked here.

The issue that the owners are having is with the Furrion A/C and thermostat. The heater probe is located in the A/C unit and requires the A/C fan to be running when the heater is trying to heat the RV , this is the only way that heat gets to the thermostat probe that satisfies the temp set at the thermostat. The issue is with out the A/C fan running the heat does not register on the thermostat and thus the heater keeps on running. When folks are camping and not hooked to shore power , How does on run the A/C fan to get the temp to register so the heater shuts off?
                  Does Grand Design have a fix for this issue?
                  Are they aware that there is an issue with this?

Thanks
                  Brian
                  I will look into this and get back with you. Thanks for the tag!

Comment

Fair warning I don't have a Furrion unit and everything I know I've learned in this thread, but I saw a post somewhere where were someone recommended this as a relocation kit for the probe. Might be useful to you.

https://castlewinch.com/product/tsrk...-MsDPcor1ClvAo

Neil Citro

Comment

This thermostat sensor issue has me concerned. We have an Imagine 2500RL on order. We boondock periodically therefore cannot run the A/C fan when heating the trailer with the furnace. Is Grand Design repositioning the thermostat sensor in trailers now under construction or planning to do so in soon to be constructed trailers? I would hope this will be corrected prior to our trailer build. Thank you in advance for passing this on.
                      2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
                      2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
                      Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

I was concerned about this because we have a 2500RL on order. I left a message with sales at Grand Design and got a call back from Jeff. During our conversation he did advise that the fan in this unit does work off of the 12v system but understands that this will put a drain on the batteries when boondocking. One thing I do like about this unit is its dehumidifier function which will be nice when we're in Florida next Winter. Jeff did mention that they may be going to a GE air conditioner in future installs but did not know when. This is a supply/demand issue with the manufacturers of the air conditioning units. Here is a link to a video that Grand Design put out on the Furrion A/C functions: https://youtu.be/DmBDyY7cjjk
                        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
                        2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
                        Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

I would be surprised if the A/C blower fan runs off 12V. More likely he meant that the furnace fan would run off of 12V, but that will not circulate air up to the temperature sensor.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                            I was concerned about this because we have a 2500RL on order. I left a message with sales at Grand Design and got a call back from Jeff. During our conversation he did advise that the fan in this unit does work off of the 12v system but understands that this will put a drain on the batteries when boondocking. One thing I do like about this unit is its dehumidifier function which will be nice when we're in Florida next Winter. Jeff did mention that they may be going to a GE air conditioner in future installs but did not know when. This is a supply/demand issue with the manufacturers of the air conditioning units. Here is a link to a video that Grand Design put out on the Furrion A/C functions: https://youtu.be/DmBDyY7cjjk
                            FWIW, my Transcend with a build date of 1/8/21 came with Coleman AC and thermostat. The Fan does NOT turn on when the furnace is on. Haven't really plugged it in much to see if 120 triggers the fan. I expect to do more through when temps get more agreeable for such things.
                            Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                            2020 Silverado 1500
                            2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Originally posted by jwhigham View Post

FWIW, my Transcend with a build date of 1/8/21 came with Coleman AC and thermostat. The Fan does NOT turn on when the furnace is on. Haven't really plugged it in much to see if 120 triggers the fan. I expect to do more through when temps get more agreeable for such things.
                              To my knowledge there's no way to get the a/c fan to turn on with the Coleman setup when set on "Heat". I've wondered if a second thermostat mounted exclusively for the air conditioner (or furnace) would give me this option. I may try it by using my bedroom thermostat. Should be simple to wire in temporarily.

Caution: Soap Box Opinion Ahead In concept what Furrion and others are doing is a good idea--using the a/c ducts as a way to circulate the warm furnace air in the camper. Unfortunately the implementation is less than ideal.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Caution: Soap Box Opinion Ahead In concept what Furrion and others are doing is a good idea--using the a/c ducts as a way to circulate the warm furnace air in the camper. Unfortunately the implementation is less than ideal.
                                100% agreed

the one I toured on the dealer lot had the furrion thermostat, when I saw the video on CD YT I thought it was clever. After reading a few issues with the Furrion AC on the forum, I am glad I have the Coleman setup
                                Jonathon, Sarah, Things 1, 2, & 3 Higham
                                2020 Silverado 1500
                                2021 Transcend Xplor 297QB

Comment

Working...
                                X