2021 265BH propane heater & thermostat problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 265BH propane heater & thermostat problems

I am curious where the actual temperature sender/reader for the thermostat is located. Here's why. When i turn the furnace on at the thermostat without using the A/C fan but just letting the propane furnace use it's blower the furnace will not turn off... this will bring the inside temp up to 95 degrees if you let it. I'm looking at the temp on the thermostat and it says that the inside temp is 58 degree f. The furnace has been on for 15 minutes and this reading hasn't changed... even with the vent aimed up blowing right on this thermostat. Now i turn the A/C fan on and the inside temp quickly goes up to 85 degrees thus shutting off the propane heater. This thermostat basically does not work with the A/C fan blowing ! that means when i'm off the grid and relying on just the batteries and propane i can't use the propane furnace or it will bake me out of the unit! does anyone know where the temp sensor is for this thermostat? thanks!

The temp sensor is on the board in the thermostat, specifically where would depend which thermostat you have (probably Dometic or Coleman), and it uses the same sensor for both heating and cooling.

Poor air circulation from the furnace is somewhat common, I'd recommend a 12v fan to help even things out. If the furnace turns off when you turn the thermostat off then the furnace and wiring is good, there's just two wires between the two to turn it on and off.

If you want to test the thermostat turn it on furnace and blow on the thermostat with a hair dryer. The temperature should come up and it should turn off. If so then you just need to circulate the air more.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

There is a post on here that I will try to find where the owner states that the actual temperature probe is in the air conditioner unit. He found that he pulled the temp probe down thru the ac vent and that helped the furnace. If you do a search you may find it before me. Slide to vent cover off of the inside of the ac and see if you can see it.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        There is a post on here that I will try to find where the owner states that the actual temperature probe is in the air conditioner unit. He found that he pulled the temp probe down thru the ac vent and that helped the furnace. If you do a search you may find it before me. Slide to vent cover off of the inside of the ac and see if you can see it.

Brian
        I could be wrong but the temperature probe in the A/C unit is for freeze protection of the air conditioner. This is based on a Coleman and Dometic I have, if it's a Furrion I have no experience.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

With all of the shortages and such I believe that GD is using the Furrion thermostat with A/C unit , or control I should say. I also think the the control does not have a temp probe at the control but instead it is at the A/C. Trying to find the post has yielded nothing. dave brown Can you confirm what brand thermostat and A/C that you have?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
            With all of the shortages and such I believe that GD is using the Furrion thermostat with A/C unit , or control I should say. I also think the the control does not have a temp probe at the control but instead it is at the A/C. Trying to find the post has yielded nothing. dave brown Can you confirm what brand thermostat and A/C that you have?

Brian
            Yeah that certainly could be, I do not have any experience with those. I had heard they were using them, but not sure in which models.

Neil Citro

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying. Good idea, so i put an electric space heater up to the Furion control unit and it didn't register any gain, just sat at 58 degrees! Clearly the thermostat is not inside the Furion control unit! how useless! When we first bought the 265BH it was 12 degrees f outside and we went out to get groceries, came back and even thought we set the control unit to 71 degrees, after turning on the AC fan it read 95 degrees! i have a hard time thinking GD has run out of parts and so carelessly put together units that don't have properly functioning heat systems? So does anyone have any ideas how i can "relocate" the thermostat? heat is NOT useable this way

Comment

dave brown -- see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...b-lr-heat-vent

flyfshrockies is the first forum member I can remember that discovered the "probe" used in the Furrion unit. Post #23 has a picture.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

flyfshrockies is the first forum member I can remember that discovered the "probe" used in the Furrion unit. Post #23 has a picture.
                  Wow I just read through that thread, that is crazy. Having the probe up there for heat makes little sense, coupled with the fact that you cannot run the AC Fan unless you have shore power. Sounds like the best you could do is pull the probe down like @flyshrockies did. Hopefully Coleman gets their production back up and they switch back for all the lines.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I knew it was here I just could not find the right thread.

Thanks Howard...

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

HI Dave Brown and all. From Dave, flyfshrockies from the earlier posts. That sounds like the same setup that is in my 2021 2600RB. I have talked with customer service and was told they would pass this issue on to someone. I have not heard anything back as yet but it is an issue that needs a better correction than my rube goldberg setup of pulling the probe down. It does help but is not optimal. I feel better, in a sad way, knowing that we are not the only owners experiencing this problem. Understanding the supply issue does not help correct this either. Perhaps one of the Moderators can contact GD and push this a little farther/higher up the food chain. I am only guessing here but as this situation is noted and spreads that some hard feelings may become evident and grow into true discontent. We love our unit and GD was understanding of the problem and was interested and we are grateful for that at least. Dave
                      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

indeed this is the room temp probe, put a heater on it and watched the thermostat near the fridge rapidly climb in temp. too bad this probe is "insulated" up inside and behind a foam filter. definately the problem with the furnace baking us out and never turning off. What a lame oversight! Looks to me to be standard dual conductor 24 or 26 awg stranded copper wire. i will look at lowes and see if they make any of this in white and splice a couple feet onto this probe and mount it out in the middle of the trailer somewhere. it will be so nice to not have the AC fan constantly going all night! Will also be nice to have a furnace that i can use when off grid. Now, i wish i understood the "dry" feature of the thermostat. i'm sure it's just using the AC as a dehumidifier but some sort of details in the manual would be nice. A side note about the lame thermo sensor. We first noticed the furnace not turning off when we went out shopping for over four hours with the furnace set to 70 degrees on a 25 (f) degree day outside. When we got back and opened the door we were blasted with heat. Furnace was running and thermometer registered 95 degrees f! The cat and dog we had in the unit were alright but did look a bit sleepy. Again, what a messed up thing to not be noticed. Could be dangerous :(

Comment

Originally posted by dave brown View Post
                          indeed this is the room temp probe, put a heater on it and watched the thermostat near the fridge rapidly climb in temp. too bad this probe is "insulated" up inside and behind a foam filter. definately the problem with the furnace baking us out and never turning off. What a lame oversight! Looks to me to be standard dual conductor 24 or 26 awg stranded copper wire. i will look at lowes and see if they make any of this in white and splice a couple feet onto this probe and mount it out in the middle of the trailer somewhere. it will be so nice to not have the AC fan constantly going all night! Will also be nice to have a furnace that i can use when off grid. Now, i wish i understood the "dry" feature of the thermostat. i'm sure it's just using the AC as a dehumidifier but some sort of details in the manual would be nice. A side note about the lame thermo sensor. We first noticed the furnace not turning off when we went out shopping for over four hours with the furnace set to 70 degrees on a 25 (f) degree day outside. When we got back and opened the door we were blasted with heat. Furnace was running and thermometer registered 95 degrees f! The cat and dog we had in the unit were alright but did look a bit sleepy. Again, what a messed up thing to not be noticed. Could be dangerous :(
                          Thanks for the update on this. I will be adding this to our list of "items" to talk to GD about when we are there next month. One item of not though is that during the recent on goings the supply chain for items installed into RV's has been less than stellar. There have been some products that have been introduced and installed on the fly that have not been truly tested and even figured out yet. This does not give GD a pass on this but it is an explanation. I am also going to contact GD to see if we can get a user manual that we can learn from to help owners such as you.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

dave brown

I also moved your post to the thread that you started with the issue.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Please read thru this thread and the other one that has been linked here.

The issue that the owners are having is with the Furrion A/C and thermostat. The heater probe is located in the A/C unit and requires the A/C fan to be running when the heater is trying to heat the RV , this is the only way that heat gets to the thermostat probe that satisfies the temp set at the thermostat. The issue is with out the A/C fan running the heat does not register on the thermostat and thus the heater keeps on running. When folks are camping and not hooked to shore power , How does on run the A/C fan to get the temp to register so the heater shuts off?
                              Does Grand Design have a fix for this issue?
                              Are they aware that there is an issue with this?

Thanks
                              Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X