Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold Enough? This May Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner Not Blowing Cold Enough? This May Help

When your Dometic AC was installed, there is a partition inserted between the cold air discharge side and the warm air return side. The sensor for the thermostat is in the warm air side. When the coach cools down to the preset thermostat temperature, the sensor tells the AC unit that it has achieved the set point and turns off the compressor. It works very well unless the partition has moved and is allowing cold air to immediately return to the warm air side. The smallest gap between these two sides can trick the sensor into thinking the coach has achieved the set point temperature when it really hasn't. The fix is very easy!

1. Disconnect from shore power and disconnect your negative battery cable.

2. Remove the interior air register. There should be four screws inside the filter area, and two more screws under plastic caps.
    ​​​​​​

3. Locate the partition and inspect for any gaps like I've identified in the next photo.

4. Use any type of duct tape to seal around the top, bottom and sides of the partition. As you can see in the photo, I used metal foil duct tape, but cloth duct tape will work also.

5. Reinstall the air register, connect the negative battery terminal and reconnect to shore power. Test the unit for improved cooling.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

In addition, I've experienced the partition movement on other units. In 2014 and 2015, GDRV was using Atwood Air Command units. The partition looks different than Dometic, but the concept is the same. Here's a photo of my Atwood unit after moving the partition and taping.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
    X