Heat Duct issue and a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Duct issue and a question.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so if I'm posting in the wrong place, please move it where it belongs.
    In my 311BHS, on the left side of the sink vanity in the bottom storage area is a small 3" heat duct and very little warm air comes out of it when the furnace is running. Much less than the other ducts throughout the trailer anyway. Is this normal? Also behind the toilet is a floor duct that no air comes out of and I can see Red and Blue Pex lines that run through there. Is that a cold air return for the furnace or is that a heating duct that isn't working and should be repaired? Thanks in advance for any input.
    2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

The 3" duct may have been partially crushed during manufacturing , I have seen this on mine. You may also remove the vent to see if the duct is connected or not. The vent at the back of the toilet is return air for the furnace. If we are running the a/c we put a hand towel over that vent to keep the cold air inside the camper instead of inside the pass thru. I figured that out about half way thru the first year , opened the pass thru and it was really cold in there. If we are heating with the furnace we remove the towel.

Southern Tier of Western NY , we are almost neighbors.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for the information Brian. I'll take off the heat vent cover and check things out. Also thanks for the explanation about the cold air return and the tip! It would never have crossed my mind to cover it in the summer. We are almost neighbors! About 80 miles as the crow flies and 2 hours by highway.

Comment

Originally posted by RobWNY View Post
        Thanks for the information Brian. I'll take off the heat vent cover and check things out. Also thanks for the explanation about the cold air return and the tip! It would never have crossed my mind to cover it in the summer. We are almost neighbors! About 80 miles as the crow flies and 2 hours by highway.
        Also be sure the hose and flange are connected to the furnace. In my unit the drawers above the furnace were extremely hot. I pulled the drawer out and found one flange that connects the hose to the furnace was not connected. So a 4" hole blowing hot air into the cabinet and not through the duct.
        Mike & Lisa
        Central Florida
        2021 Imagine 2970RL
        1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

Also be sure the hose and flange are connected to the furnace. In my unit the drawers above the furnace were extremely hot. I pulled the drawer out and found one flange that connects the hose to the furnace was not connected. So a 4" hole blowing hot air into the cabinet and not through the duct.
          Thank you. I'll pull out the drawer and check that too.

Comment

The 3" vent in the vanity actually the duct is connected to the floor and there is a space in the cabinet behind the vent opening that the air is blown into and then has to find a way out the vent , not ideal. I have though about tearing into this at one time but left it alone for now. In the pass thru storage there is a "trunk" line , solid duct work , and I think there is just a hole in the top of that that allows the air to get to that vent. Although there is not much air flow out of the vent the floor stays nice and warm.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I'll take a look at the suggestions that have been made and see what I can do to increase air flow from that vent. Luckily, most of our Camping is done when the weather is warm and heat isn't needed but we're going to go camping next month and we'll likely have to use the furnace. Not a big deal since it's the bathroom but the difference in air flow is significant compared to the other heat ducts throughout the rig.

Comment

Working...
              X