Airexcel Thermostat removal for upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airexcel Thermostat removal for upgrade

Folks, I have a 2021 GD Reflection 295RL 150 series and want to upgrade my Airxcel thermostat to Airxcel Bluetooth... Question how to remove old thermostat? I've tried pulling up as I did in my old trailer but nothing.. Airxcel stated either pull up or separate cover and remove screw? How did Grand Design install? (don't want to break old thermostat or wall, just in case..)

I can't speak to your thermostat but for my Airxcel thermostat, it separates into two halves. I used a screwdriver to pry them apart. Once separated, the remaining part was attached to the wall with two screws. I also replaced mine with the Bluetooth version. It's really nice being able to turn the furnace on from your bed on cold mornings!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Agree its nice, Installed in my old Thor Class C was great to turn Heat or air on at the campfire and not have to go in and out to do so....
      Thanks for the welcome
      Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rmoskun View Post
        Folks, I have a 2021 GD Reflection 295RL 150 series and want to upgrade my Airxcel thermostat to Airxcel Bluetooth... Question how to remove old thermostat? I've tried pulling up as I did in my old trailer but nothing.. Airxcel stated either pull up or separate cover and remove screw? How did Grand Design install? (don't want to break old thermostat or wall, just in case..)
        The two halves separate easily from the SIDE with a small screwdriver. The base is screwed to the wall.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat Main.jpg
Views:	3586
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	48645
        Attached Files
        Pat and Karen
        2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

pengle That was mighty nice of them to not used the slotted holes for attaching the thermostat.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ill Try the sides in the next day or two... Hope it works...

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              pengle That was mighty nice of them to not used the slotted holes for attaching the thermostat.
              Ready for this? The thermostat in the bedroom DOES use the plate that screws to the wall, so that you can just remove the WHOLE thermostat off of the plate as one piece. Yep, why would they want to install them the same way?
              Pat and Karen
              2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Pop the sides with a small screw driver, they did not use slots... ordered upgrade today.... Wish my compass connect already did this.... Bluetooth heat and air here we come...

Comment

I replaced my living room one with the BT version (I have a heat pump model) - it works well. I am actually going to move the BT one to my bedroom and have ordered a Micro Air Easy Touch RV thermostat that is fully compatible with my system and has Bluetooth and WiFi as well as an App to monitor/adjust it. I needed a way to monitor the temperature for times when we are out hiking and our dogs are in the camper without us. The Easy Touch does not require a subscription and satisfies my need to monitor the temperature from anywhere. My bedroom thermostat has a flaky display anyway so moving the BT one to there is a win-win.
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                  1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                  2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post
                    I replaced my living room one with the BT version (I have a heat pump model) - it works well. I am actually going to move the BT one to my bedroom and have ordered a Micro Air Easy Touch RV thermostat that is fully compatible with my system and has Bluetooth and WiFi as well as an App to monitor/adjust it. I needed a way to monitor the temperature for times when we are out hiking and our dogs are in the camper without us. The Easy Touch does not require a subscription and satisfies my need to monitor the temperature from anywhere. My bedroom thermostat has a flaky display anyway so moving the BT one to there is a win-win.
                    Please post a review once you have some real-world experience with that Easy Touch RV thermostat.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

The two halves separate easily from the SIDE with a small screwdriver. The base is screwed to the wall.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat Main.jpg
Views:	3586
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	48645
                      I have to change the thermostat in our 2020 Solitude 310GK. The thermostat is not triggering the furnace consistently. The thermostat will be here tomorrow. Your picture showing the cover popped off the base is very helpful. Thank you posting them.
                      2021 GMC Denali, CC, DRW, Duramax, 25K B&W Hitch
                      2020 Solitude 310GK
                      Previous: 2018 Reflection 337
                      Previous: 2016 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

openrangeowners looks like has been several months since you installed the Easy Touch thermostat. I would love to hear your review. I have a new 295RL and I wan to monitor and control the AC unit remotely. Appreciate your input.
                        2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

Today I upgraded to a MicroAir EasyTouch thermostat and could not happier! After figuring out what color wires go where, mounting, and turning in the power, the system fired up and works flawlessly. After a few false starts with connecting to the Wi-Fi, I was able to connect and control the heating AND cooling from anywhere! Now I can fire up the HVAC prior to arrival and make the the RV comfortable. I can also monitor and change the temps remotely via Wi-Fi. I can also set the new thermostat to automatically change from cooling to heating without any manual intervention (like the original equipment Airexcel thermostat). Very pleased with the product and performance. Great upgrade
                          2022 Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel. 2016 Ford F-250 Short Bed Super Duty Diesel, with B&W Patriot Slider Hitch mounted on rails. Formerly owned a 2008 40 foot Damon diesel pusher and a 2016 30 foot Airstream Classic TT.

Comment

The upgrade to the Micro-Air Easy Touch Thermostat is really simple AND expensive at $250. I installed one to control my heat pump/AC and one to control my bedroom AC Only unit. I love their versatility. It does everything my home heat pump thermostat did.
                            • Via Bluetooth you can control the thermostat from your phone anywhere around the trailer.
                            • Via Wi-Fi you can control the thermostat from anywhere you have Internet. Of course, your thermostat also has to be connected to the Internet (park wifi, your hotspot, etc).
                            • It has an AWAY mode where you can set the thermostat so that your room won't go below a certain temp and it won't go above a certain temp.
                            • You can set a SCHEDULE: I.E. At 7am bring the temp up to 72. At noon when it is getting hot inside set the temp to 75. There are 4 times you can set per day.
                            • If you have a heat pump you can tell the thermostat to NOT turn on the gas furnace if you raise the temp on the thermostat over 4 degrees above the current ambient temperature.
                            • If you set the thermostat for heat to 75 it will consistently come on at 74 and shut off at 76.
                            • You can select to heat with just the heat pump or just the gas furnace.
                            • You can calibrate the ambient temperature reading on the thermostat to MATCH the other thermostats you have in your trailer.
                            • Go to Micro-Air's website and they walk you through which model of new thermostat to order based on what you currently have in your trailer. It makes it very easy to get the correct thermostat.
                            Pat and Karen

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              There is a reason. Slotted holes can loosen and the thermostat can bounce up and come off the wall - don't ask how I know

Safe travels Joseph
                              Keith
                              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
                              X