Coleman Excel control board malfunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Excel control board malfunction

6 month old 310 has standard 15k unit in living room. It has two modes of operation: either hi fan and hi ac don’t work at all, or both do work but hi ac also turns on the furnace. At that point only way to shut off furnace is to shut off gas supply. Brought it back to dealer and they said it ran perfectly for 30 minutes. At next stop, tried the hi ac and furnace comes on. Mobile techs with Excell say it is a GD issue with bad wires and won’t even come out to look at it. Anyone have a clue where to go?

I'm pretty familiar with Dometic and Atwood AC units, but I'm not up to speed on AirXcel units. Can you please provide the model number of your unit and I'll check out the tech manuals to see what I can come up with? The link below shows how to find your model number if you don't have it readily available.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...y-model-number

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

According to the GD data sheet it is 48004-869 15 btu with hp

Comment

Originally posted by MJChiaro View Post
        6 month old 310 has standard 15k unit in living room. It has two modes of operation: either hi fan and hi ac don’t work at all, or both do work but hi ac also turns on the furnace. At that point only way to shut off furnace is to shut off gas supply. Brought it back to dealer and they said it ran perfectly for 30 minutes. At next stop, tried the hi ac and furnace comes on. Mobile techs with Excell say it is a GD issue with bad wires and won’t even come out to look at it. Anyone have a clue where to go?
        Are you wanting to try and fix yourself or continue to pursue having it repaired under warranty?

If the latter, I suggest taking your unit back to the dealer and stand there with the Service Manager to show him (or her) the issue. I'd also take a video of the problem. When the dealer claims it is fixed, CHECK before leaving the lot that it really is fixed.

Does your thermostat look like this? (If not, please post a picture.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	4941
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Okay, I've done some research, and I can't find any examples of the situation you're running into. If your dealership says it's okay, and the mobile techs won't look at it, your next step is to get Grand Design customer service involved.

Howard (Howson) has a great suggestion with making a short video showing the problem. Then, once you have that, I'd call GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 and ask for assistance. Make sure you have your VIN handy when you call them.

I'm also flagging a couple of GDRV representatives with this response so they can get involved if warranted.

GDRV-Emily
          GDRV-Megan

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I had thought the furnace turn on/off control would be just from the thermostat W terminal that runs to the furnace Thermo terminal.
            Attached my DIY drawing of how I think mine should be wired. I still have to vet the drawing against my equipment.
            Attached Files
            Gene and Kim
            2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
            2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

I had thought the furnace turn on/off control would be just from the thermostat W terminal that runs to the furnace Thermo terminal.
              Attached my DIY drawing of how I think mine should be wired. I still have to vet the drawing against my equipment.
              Hi Gene,

A GDRV tech told me that "the thermostat talks to the AC unit and the AC unit talks to the furnace". I know that there are four wires going to the furnace . . . I don't know where each comes from. (Thus endeth the mechanical engineer's knowledge on this .) This is Atwood info BTW

​​​​​​​Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Gene,

A GDRV tech told me that "the thermostat talks to the AC unit and the AC unit talks to the furnace". I know that there are four wires going to the furnace . . . I don't know where each comes from. (Thus endeth the mechanical engineer's knowledge on this .) This is Atwood info BTW

Rob
                I have both Atwood and Coleman and they do connect differently. The Coleman has a control unit that mounts in the ceiling.
                Since it's the Coleman is the first one I got drawn, I just put the furnace part on it for now. If I only had Coleman A/C I think it'd be right.
                The Atwood is the one on mine that actually connects to the furnace and once I draw that one, I'll remove the furnace part from the Coleman drawing.
                Gene and Kim
                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Sorry, WiFi problems today. So many questions to answer.
                  1. Does my thermostat look like the one pictured? Yes
                  2. Do I want to fix it myself? I have done all I can by replacing the thermostat myself - that’s $75 out of my pocket, and it did the same thing again.
                  3. Did I test it in the lot? No, I do not have a 3500 watt generator to power the ac.
                  4. Contact Grand Design. Yes, that went well! At the time, I was camped 30 minutes from GDHQ in South Bend, they would not let me bring it in. They gave me the names of two mobile techs in the South Bend area. One was out of the rv business, and the other was an authorized repair for Coleman. He called both GD and CM. They pointed fingers at each other - Coleman says the wires are pinched somewhere and it is GDs responsibility, and GD said no ticket no pay because it’s a Coleman issue. That was when I went to the dealer who said there was nothing wrong. I am headed to the east coast. I will get it fixed in Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Savannah (tried to get into the rally there). I’ll send the bill to GD and see if they pay it.

Comment

Thanks for the update MJChiaro - I'm going to escalate your issue to the GDRV management team. I'm moving your post from the "HVAC" section to the "Ask Grand Design Section" of the forum.

GDRV-Emily
                    GDRV-Megan

Can either of you get the ball rolling on trying to resolve this?

Thanks.
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

MJChiaro - I just sent you a PM.

TucsonJim thanks for the tag! - sorry I missed the first one from 10/6!!

Comment

I answered your PM and sadly got no response. Can anyone at least tell me who to send the bill to when I get it fixed? I will be in Charleston SC in about ten days and will find someone there.

Comment

I answered your PM and sadly got no response. Can anyone at least tell me who to send the bill to when I get it fixed? I will be in Charleston SC in about ten days and will find someone there.
                          GDRV-Megan - Do you see his PM?

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

GDRV-Megan - Do you see his PM?

Jim
                            Yes, I sent MJChiaro a reply on 10/9/19 at 7:40. The VIN you supplied is a FORD VIN. I need the Grand Design VIN.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	295
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	5594

Comment

Thank you Jim. I touch this board once in a while looking here for a response. Not familiar with these type of boards, I never saw that a message was waiting. The first pm popped up differently. I responded with the vin for the rv.

Comment

Working...
                              X