Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Chill AC Unit Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit (Castle Winch P/N# TSRK)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Chill AC Unit Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit (Castle Winch P/N# TSRK)

Furrion Chill AC Unit Temperature Sensor Relocation Kit (Castle Winch P/N# TSRK)

Cost was $39.99 + $5.00 Flat Rate Shipping

I installed this remote room sensor relocation kit to address the issue when running the furnace and the thermostat not registering the actual temperature due to room sensor being located up inside the AC unit and not in the actual wall thermostat. After mod, the thermostat now reads within +/-1 degree of actual room temperature).

NOTE: If I were to do this over again or make a suggestion to others looking to do the same thing, if your comfortable with wiring, I would recommend just making your own extension to what ever length you need and save yourself the money as I feel the kit is overpriced for what your getting. I also ended up not using the included grille for the sensor as I was getting very slow/inaccurate temperature readings on the thermostat when doing so which is why I have it inconspicuously protruding out from under the overhead cabinet.

The cheapest option is to just poke the existing probe out of the inlet air filter but I didn't like that option.

I still have hope the Grand Design will come up with a solution for those of us that ended up with the Furrion AC units.

Link: https://castlewinch.com/product/tsrk/

Attached Files
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
    USMC Veteran

Hopefully Grand Design customer service is monitoring all of the concerns posted about this Furrion system and is doing something about it. Our 2500RL is due to come offline on April 26. Too bad we have to spend extra money on this system right off the bat just to make it work as it should in the first place. Not a good system for boondocking if the A/C fan has to be run to bring temp to thermostat setting. Thanks for sharing Heavysledz
    2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
    2017 Chev Silverado 1500 LTZ 6.2 Max Tow Package
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
      Hopefully Grand Design customer service is monitoring all of the concerns posted about this Furrion system and is doing something about it. Our 2500RL is due to come offline on April 26. Too bad we have to spend extra money on this system right off the bat just to make it work as it should in the first place. Not a good system for boondocking if the A/C fan has to be run to bring temp to thermostat setting. Thanks for sharing Heavysledz
      Radar silence thus far from GD as far as I am aware....
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      USMC Veteran

Comment

Thanks for this very important write up. GDRV mentioned this to me when I was back there a few weeks ago. Their customer service is supposed to be up to speed on this modification. Did you talk to their customer service department about this?

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I want to get the upgrade but I'm not sure how it is installed. Is there a diagram to show how it's installed? How do you keep the wire hidden?
          Thanks
          Chuck

2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost pulling an 2021 Imagine 2600RB
          2021 Imagine 2600RB
          2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/Tow package

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Thanks for this very important write up. GDRV mentioned this to me when I was back there a few weeks ago. Their customer service is supposed to be up to speed on this modification. Did you talk to their customer service department about this?

Jim
            I did and they basically told me that they were aware...they did not divulge any information pertaining to a fix...simply that they were aware.
            Jeff and Debbie
            2021 Imagine 2250RK
            USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Braddock View Post
              I want to get the upgrade but I'm not sure how it is installed. Is there a diagram to show how it's installed? How do you keep the wire hidden?
              Thanks
              Chuck

2017 F150 3.5 ecoboost pulling an 2021 Imagine 2600RB
              It comes with some basic instructions and once you drop the AC panel from the ceiling it is pretty easy to find what your looking for. As far as hiding the wires, I just ran mine thru the ceiling by dropping my speakers and a few of the puck lights and fishing it thru the rafters and then removed the top trim piece above the sliding door for the bathroom which reveals a void that allowed me to drill a hole in the ceiling and then into the wall inside of the adjacent cabinet.....your layout will be different but should still be able to do the same thing to get the wire where you want it....

NOTE: Before you decide on where you want it permanently, I suggest you temporarily put the sensor where you think you want it and then test it to see if the sensitivity of the sensor is good in that location. Obviously, you don't want it where it is going to be blown on directly by any of the vents but I found it works best if it is somewhere centrally located in the trailer.

Hope this helps.
              Jeff and Debbie
              2021 Imagine 2250RK
              USMC Veteran

Comment

I did the easy fix and brought the room sensor (labeled as such) down from the air conditioner through the filter and screen. It's black and only protrudes about 2 inches. The great thing is that it works! Don't have to run the air conditioning fan while running the furnace and it regulates temperature accurately. This will provide comfort when boondocking also.
                2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
                Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Heavysledz Thanks for the info and suggestion on moving it around to locate a suitable location. We have a 2021 2600RB which we love. I recently received the sensor extension kit from GD at no charge, Thank you Norm and GD. As soon as I get done with chores around the house and yard I am going to start the process of finding a suitable location and figuring out how to get it there. Question, do the puck lights have little spring loaded arms on them that just fold away when gently pulled? Do the speakers work the same? How did you get the wiring through the side of the a/c unit? There seems to be about 10 feet of wire in the kit and that should allow for finding a suitable location. I have not looked closely at the project or a/c yet and any help or advise is appreciated.

Thank you,
                  Dave
                  flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

flyfshrockies
                    Hi Dave

Some lights have the spring fingers that you describe . . . but some have a backing plate that screws to the ceiling and the lens pops off to get to these screws. The speaker trim ring should pop of with screws underneath holding the speaker to the ceiling.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	1622727670.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.1 KB ID:	56314Click image for larger version  Name:	1622727474.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	56315
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, thanks. I just looked and the puck lights are on spring arms and should be reasonably simple to pull down. It always nice to have an idea of what I am doing before applying too much force to a job. Now if I can just find a suitable location within reach of the the supplied wiring.

Dave
                      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I did the easy fix and brought the room sensor (labeled as such) down from the air conditioner through the filter and screen. It's black and only protrudes about 2 inches. The great thing is that it works! Don't have to run the air conditioning fan while running the furnace and it regulates temperature accurately. This will provide comfort when boondocking also.
                        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
                        Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

I also pulled the probe down through the foam filter originally. It certainly helped, however I am wanting to get an even more normalized operation out of the a/c and the furnace. The furnace cycles at about 40 % duty cycle which uses an increased amount of both propane as well as a lot of battery power when boon docking. I believe that with proper location that could be reduced to at least 30/35% with the decent insulation in the 2600RB. The furnace does a great job of heating the unit with temps down into the upper teens/low 20's. Another item I noticed is the t-stat seems to have a narrow temp. tolerance range compared to a Coleman Mach unit we had in the last couple of rigs.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flyfshrockies View Post
                            Heavysledz Thanks for the info and suggestion on moving it around to locate a suitable location. We have a 2021 2600RB which we love. I recently received the sensor extension kit from GD at no charge, Thank you Norm and GD. As soon as I get done with chores around the house and yard I am going to start the process of finding a suitable location and figuring out how to get it there. Question, do the puck lights have little spring loaded arms on them that just fold away when gently pulled? Do the speakers work the same? How did you get the wiring through the side of the a/c unit? There seems to be about 10 feet of wire in the kit and that should allow for finding a suitable location. I have not looked closely at the project or a/c yet and any help or advise is appreciated.

Thank you,
                            Dave
                            Sorry for the very late response to your questions....it looks like you figured out the. lights. The speaker grills pop off and then the speaker is screwed to the ceiling. Interesting that GD sent you an extension kit. Would be curious to see if it looks the same as what I purchased on my own.Post some pictures the kit that GD sent to you if you don't mind.

As far as getting the wiring out of the AC unit, I used the same hole that the all the other wiring comes in thru and then sealed the hole back up afterwards...hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5040 copy.jpg
Views:	6256
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	57059
                            Jeff and Debbie
                            2021 Imagine 2250RK
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

I contacted Customer Service and requested the sensor relocation kit. They are shipping to me. So I too will be installing this fix to help the system run more efficiently. Thank you all for posting information and pictures regarding this fix. And thank you Grand Design for working with us owners on it.
                              2021 GD Imagine 2500RL
                              Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Comment

Working...
                              X