Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a second AC unit to a 337RLS

Hi All,

Last year after experiencing temps around 100 and no RV Park shade, our single AC unit could not begin to cool our 2017 337 RLS. So I want to add a second AC unit in the bedroom.
    I believe I read that the unit is pre-wired for both the AC unit placed in the existing bedroom vent and thermostat installed in the wall. Am I correct?
    Also, I have a choice of adding a Dometic Brisk II 13,500 btu or a 15,000 btu unit. Any recommendations?
    We are heading out this August and want to be sure my Cabernet is not ruined!!
    Thanks,
    California Jim

CALIFORNIA JIM Jim, err on the side of caution and gofer the larger unit. It's much easier to set the thermostats at different temps if they are not running long enough to draw enough moisture out.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I believe most new 337rls comes with a 15,000 main unit and a 13,500 bedroom unit. The bedroom is small and 13,500 should be more than plenty. In the bedroom you should have main wires and connecting ducts up by the fan/vent and thermostat wires in the wall by the light switch.
      Charles and Susan
      2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
      Andersen Hitch
      2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by CALIFORNIA JIM View Post
        Hi All,

Last year after experiencing temps around 100 and no RV Park shade, our single AC unit could not begin to cool our 2017 337 RLS. So I want to add a second AC unit in the bedroom.
        I believe I read that the unit is pre-wired for both the AC unit placed in the existing bedroom vent and thermostat installed in the wall. Am I correct?
        Also, I have a choice of adding a Dometic Brisk II 13,500 btu or a 15,000 btu unit. Any recommendations?
        We are heading out this August and want to be sure my Cabernet is not ruined!!
        Thanks,
        California Jim
        I did the install myself and it was pretty straightforward. You will probably want the low profile unit for the bedroom. I went with the Coleman unit even though I had the Dometic in my living room. The prewire does not matter, its the same for both. The Coleman draws less power and I think its a little quieter. I did a 15k unit, that way I can run either one or both as needed, and have full redundancy. I also got the electric heat and heat pump for not much more money. Great to have when in an electric site and use less propane.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I did the install myself and it was pretty straightforward. You will probably want the low profile unit for the bedroom. I went with the Coleman unit even though I had the Dometic in my living room. The prewire does not matter, its the same for both. The Coleman draws less power and I think its a little quieter. I did a 15k unit, that way I can run either one or both as needed, and have full redundancy. I also got the electric heat and heat pump for not much more money. Great to have when in an electric site and use less propane.
          Neil,
          You previously mentioned it took longer to locate the correct parts than doing the work. Could you provide the model numbers for top and bottom components, to give me a head start?

Comment

Originally posted by bsktcas1 View Post

Neil,
            You previously mentioned it took longer to locate the correct parts than doing the work. Could you provide the model numbers for top and bottom components, to give me a head start?
            Sure. I found the email address for a rep at AirXcel (Coleman) on another forum, I can send that to you in a PM if you want it. He helped me to verify the part numbers I selected were correct. You need the thermostat to match whether you go with a heat pump or have a propane furnace (not needed for the bedroom AC as this is controlled by the other unit). My system has a Coleman Mach 8 plus low profile with heat pump and backup electric heat, ducted cover, and digital thermostat. I got all my parts from RVUpgrade store. They shipped really fast, and were great to deal with some shipping damage I had. They sent me out a replacement AC unit the same day, and I was able to ship back the damaged one later on when I had time.

Electric Heat Kit 47233-4551
            Coleman Mach 8 Plus Heat Pump (Black) 47004B879
            The ducted side to side ceiling assembly for a heat pump is 8530D735
            The thermostat to run one heat source is 8330-3362
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the info. It gives me a place to start!
              Yes, please send the contact info along.

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Sure. I found the email address for a rep at AirXcel (Coleman) on another forum, I can send that to you in a PM if you want it. He helped me to verify the part numbers I selected were correct. You need the thermostat to match whether you go with a heat pump or have a propane furnace (not needed for the bedroom AC as this is controlled by the other unit). My system has a Coleman Mach 8 plus low profile with heat pump and backup electric heat, ducted cover, and digital thermostat. I got all my parts from RVUpgrade store. They shipped really fast, and were great to deal with some shipping damage I had. They sent me out a replacement AC unit the same day, and I was able to ship back the damaged one later on when I had time.

Electric Heat Kit 47233-4551
              Coleman Mach 8 Plus Heat Pump (Black) 47004B879
              The ducted side to side ceiling assembly for a heat pump is 8530D735
              The thermostat to run one heat source is 8330-3362

Comment

CALIFORNIA JIM bsktcas1 Welcome to the family and the forum!

When you have time, the moderators have created a welcome letter to help new members navigate the forum and complete their profile to make it easier to get the help that they seek. The welcome letter can be found at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
                Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                X