Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mini split from another manufacturer (come on Grand Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that Min-Splits are amazing. I installed one in my detached 3 car garage with 14 feet ceilings. This commercial grade unit puts out heat down to -13 degrees F. That video of the New Horizons RV is 1 year and 4 months old. The mini-splits are still not in practically any RV from the factory. There has got to be more complications than we are aware of, such as can the units hold up to the constant earthquake when driving down the road?
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

The key behind these units is fan design and getting the condenser off the roof which transmits vibration like a drum. The energy balance Rob describes cannot be avoided but to have a specially built unit for the RV industry would be interesting. -13F is really cold. Sure there is not an electric heat strip that is compensating to get down to those temperatures?

Looks like hot water heat is next.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
        I agree that Min-Splits are amazing. I installed one in my detached 3 car garage with 14 feet ceilings. This commercial grade unit puts out heat down to -13 degrees F. That video of the New Horizons RV is 1 year and 4 months old. The mini-splits are still not in practically any RV from the factory. There has got to be more complications than we are aware of, such as can the units hold up to the constant earthquake when driving down the road?
        A lot of the guys in the Escapees RV Club who pull 20K+ fifth wheels with HDTs (think Volvo 740s and 760s) have mini-splits for the sleepers on the trucks. I've not read of any problems with them being used in that mobile setting.

Rob
        Rob & Laura
        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

A lot of the guys in the Escapees RV Club who pull 20K+ fifth wheels with HDTs (think Volvo 740s and 760s) have mini-splits for the sleepers on the trucks. I've not read of any problems with them being used in that mobile setting.

Rob
          Rob,

Our RVs would need a much higher capacity unit than the 12V DC units used on the Volvos for cooling. They must be made to handle some road abuse, though our rigs are probably not as smooth in comparison. The highest BTU mini split system on 120V AC is around 12K.
          A 15K system could be designed for RV use for 120V AC where it would be a nice addition with an electric strip for borderline temps and until the gas furnace is needed for heating.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X