Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mini split from another manufacturer (come on Grand Design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mini split from another manufacturer (come on Grand Design)

Not the rv you were thinking of, pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/aDXKuZaMXoY

Last edited by howson; 04-21-2021, 05:42 PM.
    2018 337RLS
    720w solar, 100/50 scc 1500w psw 2 battleborn
    disc brakes, ems

Jim,

Where are they mounting the main unit with condenser, compressor and fan? I suspect its not on the roof to be so quiet.

Jim

Comment

Did you watch by chance? In an enclosed cubby with fan shroud venting outside and venting underneath to allow air intake.
      2018 337RLS
      disc brakes, ems

Comment

2018 337RLS
        disc brakes, ems

Comment

Impressive. Wonder if it can be retrofitted into existing RVs. Current units are loud and power hungry. Would like to see actual number comparisons.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jims94vmx View Post
            Did you watch by chance? In an enclosed cubby with fan shroud venting outside and venting underneath to allow air intake.
            I apologize Jim,

I moved on during his first break in the video and looked it over again. Very nice. My in laws have a split system on their cottage and it is very quiet. Would be a nice to have this on an RV.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Impressive. Wonder if it can be retrofitted into existing RVs. Current units are loud and power hungry. Would like to see actual number comparisons.
              On the plus side, my wife doesn't need to bring along her sound machine to help her sleep. Both our furnace and A/C make plenty of "white noise".
              Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
              2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
              2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I apologize Jim,

I moved on during his first break in the video and looked it over again. Very nice. My in laws have a split system on their cottage and it is very quiet. Would be a nice to have this on an RV.

Jim
                No worries, just making sure the link worked. I would love to see the roof also. Much nicer looking then the wall version, but would imagine running the lines as a retrofit would be hard!
                2018 337RLS
                disc brakes, ems

Comment

The 2600RB has a closet/entertainment area that could be used to house the condenser unit and would allow for lines to run up to the ceiling and would be within about 3ft from the location of the roof unit if someone wanted to do it.

Here is a video that shows a creative idea in space saving (would not recommend it) where the valuable part of this video shows the size of the condenser unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFkLrGx6la8

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I wonder the gain of output efficiency over existing setup. As far as I can find, LG 115V mini splits have a 12k BTU max, whereas the Coleman's are 15k.
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Mini-Split inverter based ACs are much more efficient than single stage compressor ACs. FWIW, most of the world uses inverter mini-splits for home AC. I have an inverter variable speed AC in my home and the power savings is ~65% annually over my single stage system! To be fair I also had my ductwork tweaked for better air balancing but that would be a very small efficiency gain.

Dometic makes an inverter roof AC called the Harrier but it's not sold in the US. It's 220-240V and 50 Hz input power and pulls 6.5A at full power. The magic of an inverter AC is it can run well under it's full rating to maintain temperature and humidity saving lots of power.
                      2021 3740BH-R, Roadmaster Comfort Ride Shocks, MORryde Pin Box, EMS-HW50C, 3rd AC w/ Heat Pump, Gen Prep
                      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum CC LB 4x4 SRW, B&W Companion 20k, Timbren Rubber Springs, RetraxPRO XR
                      100W (x4) Rich Solar portable solar, Bluetti AC200, Ecoflow Delta 1300

Comment

We had a 12000 btu C&H mini split on a tiny house. That was the largest you could get in 115V. It did a great job and was very quiet. Of course the tiny house had a whole different construction!!!
                        2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                        Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                        2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                        Formerly M&K337

Comment

We installed a mini split in our master bedroom seven years ago as part of a major remodel job. Like most of them, it is a heat pump version with heating and cooling. We shut the house unit down at night, and just run the unit in the bedroom. The bedroom is 400 sq ft, and the ceilings are 12 feet high. It will handle all of the cooling and heating of the room with no problems at all. I'm positive it could handle an RV with ease. But it is a 240 volt unit.

The external unit could easily be mounted on a shelf carried on the rear of the trailer.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Our tiny house was 40’ long 8.5 wide and around 11 foot ceiling. Was able to put the blower/evaporator unit almost midway and it cooled the whole house easily.
                            2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                            Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                            Formerly M&K337

Comment

Comparing the insulation in houses (even tiny houses) to the insulation in trailers is an "apples and oranges" thing. They are not even close to comparable. I am not arguing with the efficiency or noise improvement with a split AC design, but if you need 30,000 BTUs of conventional cooling (two roof units) . . . 15,000 BTUs from a split design is not going to get the job done. I can cool a 2000 sq ft home with the same 30,000 BTUs it takes to similarly cool a 400 sq ft RV.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X