Error Code E4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error Code E4

I have a Dometic 15,000 btu single zone air conditioner. I’ve had some minor issues with it, but it continues to work and blow cold air, as it should. Last night, for the second time, it began giving the “E4” code. It flashed E4 and the set temp back and forth, on air and heat.

I couldn’t recall how I corrected it last time, or if it corrected itself. The ac continued to work. I then read several posts on the internet by fellow owners that had, and maybe solved the issue by various procedures. This error code indicates an open circuit, having to do with the heat pump. Since I do not have a heat pump, the ac continued to work. I tried doing a reset on the thermostat, and the screen began to freak out a bit. Then the ac wouldn’t shut off. I removed the outer cover and turned it off with the inner posts. I left the cover off the rest of the night.

Today, I tried another suggestion. I turned off all electricity, 120 and 12v. The thermostat works off of 12v. After a couple of minutes, I turned everything back on, then I put the thermostat cover back on (I was willing to leave it off if I needed to). I turned on the air conditioner, and everything is working well with no error code.

I suspect that the culprit in this case is the thermostat. I will be looking into replacing it. I have the three button, black, square thermostat.

I thought this this might help someone else with this issue.
    Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
    2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Had the same problem on the bedroom ac. Had to continually turn all power off and disconnect battery, but code kept coming back on. They had to replace stat and some other corresponding part up in the unit. Not had any other problem since.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2014 F350 6.7 Powerstroke Platinum Crew Cab Long bed
    2011 Harley Davidson Road Glide Ultra
    Brenham, Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Firewalker103 View Post
      Had the same problem on the bedroom ac. Had to continually turn all power off and disconnect battery, but code kept coming back on. They had to replace stat and some other corresponding part up in the unit. Not had any other problem since.
      This is a good point since the E4 code may actually be reporting a real issue. It may be best to call Dometic to get feedback on the code and its meaning, before replacing parts.

Found this online which may indicate a problem depending on the unit or an issue with the initial setup of the thermostat. Calling Dometic with the serial number of the unit should result in a quick solution.

https://acerrorcode.com/dometic-ther...ror-codes.html
      Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2019, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Steve7,

Did you find out what was wrong with your AC system?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Steve7,

Did you find out what was wrong with your AC system?

Jim
          Hi Jim, sorry I’ve been off line for a while. To answer your question, no I didn’t. It’s been working fairly well. Had one or two times when it didn’t turn on or off when temp was reached, but other than that it’s been fine. I’m considering a second unit in the bedroom for next summer.
          Steve, Sue, and pups Sky & Sierra
          2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
          2017 F350 CC, LB, 4x4, 6.7 Blue Ox WD

Comment

E4 is the outside ambient air temp sensor failure , it is very easy to change ,he sees a link to part no. , you have to remove outside cover and styrafoam covef to replace , 1 screw and plug in ,then restart your rhermostat. ,,, https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...xoC7OQQAvD_BwE

Comment

Just to add to this thread for future reference, researching online turned up this info:

Dometic CS number is 800-544-4881 and their email is customersupportcenter@dometic.com

Dometic support will ask for the mfr number (on the label). If it begins with 64 that indicates that it does not have a heat pump. (As noted in post above E4 is a defective outdoor temp sensor.) If your unit does not have a temp sensor, the error code is probably due to a bad main board - PN 3313107.076.

(Note: Text and info is a paraphrase from a different site by member "SouthTX".)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X