Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE Furnace Noise.. minor LP explosions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE Furnace Noise.. minor LP explosions?

I have a 2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE, with a furnace issue, wondering if anyone has experience with this issue.

This began two days ago when I had been gone for several days and ran out of LP. I got the tanks filled and when I re-hooked up to the trailer, I had no flow to any of the appliances. I tied into the quick-connect coupling on the exterior of the trailer and had a large volume of air evacuate the system, and then all appliances had LP to them. At which point the furnace functioned normally for ~8hrs before the banging noise began. If I were to try to explain the noise, I'd say it is equivalent to a small explosiion, as if theres too much LP getting to the igniter and when it lights, makes a small explosion.

I turned off the tanks that morning until I got home from work to prevent any risk of fire, and when I returned home I again had the same issue with no flow to anything once opening the valves. I again tied into the quick-connect and had air purge out. It functioned normally all evening and around 3AM this morning, it did the same thing again.

I have taken soapy water and doused every connection location from the tank to the furnace and found no leaks, inspected around the unit for spider webs/nests and have found nothing.

Anyone got any ideas on what to test to try and diag. the issue and get it fixed?
    Last edited by 01_Cummins; 05-11-2021, 11:18 AM. Reason: *Edited to fix some grammatical mistakes*
    Aspin & Joel
    2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 24V/47RE
    2020 Imagine XLS 22 MLE Dinette Deleted, Generator Added, More Mods to Come

01_Cummins --sorry, I have no idea about the propane issue but since that was your first post just wanted to say hello & welcome to the forum.

Howard (Moderator)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It almost sounds as if there is an obstruction in the line. Have you checked the output pressure on the regulator? If not, you may want to monitor the output pressure between when you first start the system and when you start hearing the noise. If pressure changes, you may have a bad regulator. Also, check to see which tank you are running on, there was a discussion on the red regulator and its function.

As for why you do not get flow when you first open the line, again check the auto switch to ensure it's green when you have everything up and running, if not, then it has switched and is drawing on the other bottle. Second, when you open the tank valve, it is possible that too much air flow trips the output, Try cracking the valve slightly and allowing the pressure to equalize then open fully. I've had to open and close the valve a couple of times to get it to reset correctly. If possible, only turn on one tank to see if the temps are affecting output pressure of the tanks and causing the auto switch to change tanks at random during the night, this also leads to 2 empty tanks without notice.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        It almost sounds as if there is an obstruction in the line. Have you checked the output pressure on the regulator? If not, you may want to monitor the output pressure between when you first start the system and when you start hearing the noise. If pressure changes, you may have a bad regulator. Also, check to see which tank you are running on, there was a discussion on the red regulator and its function.

As for why you do not get flow when you first open the line, again check the auto switch to ensure it's green when you have everything up and running, if not, then it has switched and is drawing on the other bottle. Second, when you open the tank valve, it is possible that too much air flow trips the output, Try cracking the valve slightly and allowing the pressure to equalize then open fully. I've had to open and close the valve a couple of times to get it to reset correctly. If possible, only turn on one tank to see if the temps are affecting output pressure of the tanks and causing the auto switch to change tanks at random during the night, this also leads to 2 empty tanks without notice.
        I'm unfamiliar with this red regulator you mention. If you're talking about the regulator @ the tanks, mine had a white cover. Or is there a secondary one somewhere I don't know about?

My auto switch, doesn't show green when everything is hooked up, honestly I can't recall ever seeing it show green, so maybe it's been a little screwy since day one. I also never have both tanks open at once, helps me be a little more proactive on keeping them filled during the winter and not running out at 1AM.🤣

Going off of what you stated I'm guessing you're correct on the regulator going bad. I don't have a gauge to check LP pressure, but I'll pick one up on my way home to try and verify. But if the regulator was going bad, theoretically wouldn't the other appliances show issues as well, since they're all fed off the same line and split at the junction block? I ran the fridge, stove, and h2o heater on LP in an attempt to put as much load as I could on the system and nothing else showed any apparent supply issue.
        Aspin & Joel

Comment

01_Cummins -- a 5th wheel has an additional high-pressure regulator between the bottles that won't be found on our travel trailers. The only regulator you'll have on the Imagine is the low-pressure one.

The regulators are a known high-failure item, though I've never read this failure mode associated with a regulator.

If you run the stove top, does the flame jump (when the heater is "exploding") or is the flame steady? If the flame jumps there's an issue with the supply. If the flame is steady there's a problem with the furnace.

I admit, though, that given the highly volatile nature of propane (thus the high risk involved) I wouldn't advise too much self-diagnosis on this one.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson

I can't vouch for what the stove top does when its "exploding" . Every time it has happened, has been very early in the AM.
            I did notice the flame jumping very minutely last night after everything was off or back on elec., but I figured that had more to do with the fact I had the door open.

Understandably theres the high volatility, but taking it to a dealer to get checked isn't in the cards. I've been a mechanic professionally among my other ventures in life, and have a fair amount of experience with highly volatile substances, so I'm not too overly concerned about going through any diag. procesess, provided I can get my hands on the right tools. Plus I will be spending the next 5 months stationary where the nearest dealer is a minimum 3hr drive, so I'd prefer to spend the money on tooling to repair it myself than deal with a dealer if its even remotely feasible to do so.

I'll probably throw a new regulator on and see how the system acts, as well as pressure test it if I can find a gauge. At the very least, I'll have a backup regulator if the problem persists after replacement.
            Aspin & Joel

Comment

Originally posted by 01_Cummins View Post
              howson

I can't vouch for what the stove top does when its "exploding" . Every time it has happened, has been very early in the AM.
              I did notice the flame jumping very minutely last night after everything was off or back on elec., but I figured that had more to do with the fact I had the door open.

Understandably theres the high volatility, but taking it to a dealer to get checked isn't in the cards. I've been a mechanic professionally among my other ventures in life, and have a fair amount of experience with highly volatile substances, so I'm not too overly concerned about going through any diag. procesess, provided I can get my hands on the right tools. Plus I will be spending the next 5 months stationary where the nearest dealer is a minimum 3hr drive, so I'd prefer to spend the money on tooling to repair it myself than deal with a dealer if its even remotely feasible to do so.

I'll probably throw a new regulator on and see how the system acts, as well as pressure test it if I can find a gauge. At the very least, I'll have a backup regulator if the problem persists after replacement.
              Understood--I'd do the same. Now that I know a little more about your background I won't be as hesitant. This forum attracts individuals with widely different backgrounds and experience.

My fellow moderator TucsonJim recommended a propane test kit at some point--it's still on my "wish list". Might be a consideration: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016H12KS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Jacket.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	53541

Comment

Was not thinking about the fact that its a TT and not a 5er for the red regulator. What are your outside conditions? By chance have you gone out and checked to see if there are any obstructions (flying paper could be a bad one) around the furnace access panel when it starts? Nor certain if you have the furnace that feeds fresh air from the outside via a single combine vent or dual vent. If the intake screen is blocked or if something is allowing the intake to suck in exhaust it is possible that there is not enough oxygen for proper combustion leading to issues.

If you've never seen the green indicator, I would seriously look at the regulator system. You may be able to bypass it with a normal LPG regulator if you have one and a hose handy (might need a bit of creativity by temp relocation of the bottle pending hose length).

Just like any other combustion process, the furnace needs a constant steady supply of fuel and oxygen.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

01_Cummins

Since the problem began with a refilled tank of propane, I would wonder about the quality of the “new” fuel. There should certainly not be any air in a properly purged tank. The fuel is actually LPG (liquified petroleum gas) and could be any combination of propane, butane, hose plasticizer and compressor oil. The switchover regulator does sound suspect if you have never seen the green indicator. I would suggest a new regulator and a fresh tank of fuel (from a different supplier).

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I know its been a few days, had my truck lose an injector line as well so been a little busy, but figured I'd post an update incase anyone else runs into this issue.

The regulator was the issue. I picked up a Enerco Regulator Item No.106398 (per camping world) and the system now functions perfectly.
                    I'd recommend upgrading to this one if you have the Winntec 6020 regulator that likes to fail. It is a little bigger, but it is impressively stout in construction compared to the Winntec.
                    Aspin & Joel

Comment

01_Cummins
                      Thanks for the report back on this issue. Good info for those who will inevitably experience this same problem in the future.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X