Too hot in the bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too hot in the bedroom

I have had three fivers, A Columbus and now two GD's and all three get way too hot in the bedroom. The only way to sleep at night is to set the furnace on 55 so it won't come on during the night. If it does come on it will cook you in a matter of minutes. In my 29rs I put an old metal license plate over the floor register. Any one else had this issue?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer

2016 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

2017 F150
    2020 F350 6.7 PSD

Donald

Ours is not quite that bad. Ours gets pretty hot in the bathroom. The small vent in the bottom of the vanity is nothing to be proud of , I will be fixing that soon , our cabinet gets pretty warm. You may have some blockage under the island in the kitchen that is forcing more air to the bedroom. Maybe also a crushed flex hose that is attached to the furnace , you can check this behind the false wall in the pass thru. Be careful when removing that wall there are things back there that know one should ever see.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Our Reflection 303 RLS has pretty good heat distribution. Originally it was the reverse of what you experience. All the heat went to the three outlets under the kitchen island and almost nothing went to the bathroom/bedroom duct. This turned out to be poor installation. The flex duct to the bedroom ductwork was way too long and compressed on itself and the flange attachment to the bedroom duct was misaligned by half the opening.

Getting the installation to match the “design intent” has created a good balance between main area heat and bedroom/bathroom heat for our 303. I wonder if doing this on your layouts might have the same result?

On a cool night, we typically leave the electric fireplace on and the thermostat set to a cooler than comfortable setting. This means that the bedroom is colder than the main area and once the fireplace can’t keep up, the furnace comes on. Usually about 5 in the morning which warms things up just right for getting up.

I would like to have more heat go to the bathroom and less to the bedroom, but this is not how the ductwork is configured. Given that these two areas are connected by the second door on the 303, it still works well.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This takes a little bit of work in tight confined spaces.

The distribution of air and the temperature of the air isn’t the same for all vents out of the furnace. For example on a Suburban furnace there are vents across the back, and right side looking from the back of furnace. The hottest and most airflow is from the left most back vent, the heat and airflow decrease in a counterclockwise direction.

I moved our bedroom ducting from the left rear to the right most rear vent.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

It "shouldn't" be too difficult to install dampers at the unit. Then you can dial it in exactly how you want. Every home HVAC install we do, we put dampers in multiple locations and get the exact air balance you want. Amazing how many "professional" don't use dampers.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
            It "shouldn't" be too difficult to install dampers at the unit. Then you can dial it in exactly how you want. Every home HVAC install we do, we put dampers in multiple locations and get the exact air balance you want. Amazing how many "professional" don't use dampers.
            While certainly a valid input, but checking for crushed, blocked and/or disconnected duct lines from the heater should be checked first.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X