Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on the vents of a Coleman Mach system

2021 310GK model. No heat pump.
    I've spent about 30 min going thru the manual and googling and I can't find the answer.

Are these vents suppose to remain closed or open during operation of A/C?
    What are their purpose when it is a ducted-style AC system?

Open?

Closed?

2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Originally posted by sportsdad60 View Post
    2021 310GK model. No heat pump.
    I've spent about 30 min going thru the manual and googling and I can't find the answer.

Are these vents suppose to remain closed or open during operation of A/C?
    What are their purpose when it is a ducted-style AC system?
    The ducts in the photo typically expel cooled air in addition to the air that is forced into the racetrack ducts. However, there is a kit produced by RV Airflow Systems https://rvairflow.com/ that shuts off the air to these ducts and directs all of the air to the racetrack ducts. It is my understanding that Grand Design has been installing these kits on new models at the factory. So... when you run your A/C, if air comes out of those ducts, the kit has not been installed. And if no air comes out of those ducts, the kit is very likely installed. If the kit is installed it really doesn't matter if you leave them open or closed because they are essentially non-functional.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

My 2021 303rls built in Feb has the kit
      2021 Reflection 303RLS
      2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
      Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

sportsdad60 By the looks of the first picture, it appears you have the RV Airflow system installed as ntoed by RJAPCOK (the white 'styrofoam' visible inside the housing). As he points out, the dump vents are redundant with this system installed and the airflow is directed into the ducts. My 2021 303RLS also has the system installed. While I have not yet used our A/C (still cold up north), the reviews I have read are pretty impressive.

In case you're interested, more info here:

https://rvairflow.com/

Edit: Ooops - apologies for the reposting the link already posted in #2
        Ken & Sandra
        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Thanks all.
          Air does indeed come out of those vents if fan or AC is running.
          They came closed from the factory so I will leave them that way.
          2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
          2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

We open them for quick cooling, then shut them. Our dealer told us that is what they are for.
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Actually the white you are seeing is part of the duct from the evaporator to the dump. The RVAirflow foam is not visible from that angle.

While the dumps do help cool the unit fast, they are very local cooling. So if you want to cool he bedroom or whatever area that AC is in, it works for that, it should be noted that the rest of the unit will not be cooled. There is also the likely hood that you get a lot of recirculation of already cooled air back into the intakes. While it does take a bit longer, running the AC with those closed does result in a more uniform temperature through the unit. If you can run all of the units at one time it helps as GD plumbs all of their AC into the racetrack for rapid cooling.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
              X