AC run on low through night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC run on low through night

Is it ok to run the ac on low cool through the night? We had setup first couple nights to run on low Auto but when temps were under 72 setpoint it shut off and the air felt stagnant since auto shuts off after hitting temp. We tried just fan but was to sticky so we tried low air not on auto so it runs continuous. That worked well but not sure if it is hard on the ac system
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Dennis66 In hot weather our unit will run all day with the compressor cycling off and on. Day, night all the same I would think. That being said everything has a service life whether it be hours or cycles. Continuous operation is often better than off and on, much like a well pump, engines etc. I would be comfortable and worry about wear later, most things are expendable in one way or another.

Dave
    flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

We run our ACs on low or high cool (continuous) - mostly during the day when it's hot. During the day when we're in the living area, we run the bedroom AC that way and turn the living room AC up a couple of degrees and put it on low auto. That way it's quieter in the LR. At night, we'll turn off the bedroom AC and turn the LR AC down to the temp we want but leave it on auto. We have a big dehumidifier we run at night to keep the humidity down when the AC is not cycling as much. We use the equipment as designed.

Rob

Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Dennis66

The arrangement that most find to be best is to have the fan running continuously and the compressor cycling on/off per thermostat set point. Different AC units require different settings to accomplish this. Some will do this at all fan speeds and some on only certain fan speeds. "Auto" usually turns the fan on/off as you have experienced. Leaving the fan running constantly also evens out the "white noise" to help hide the noise of the compressor cycling.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I hope it isn't hard on the AC units to run for long periods of time! When it's hot (105-120F), we'll have both our units running for 12 hours and the secondary unit for 18 hours every day for weeks. I use Auto mode but it doesn't really matter because they never shut off.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

We have run on fan on "low" setting (night time white noise) with AC on at a desired temperature on our 303 since new 8 seasons ago and did the same with all of our prior RVs as well. Our current Owners Manual and prior ones made no reference to this as not being OK.

Dan
            Last edited by Canyonlight; 06-10-2021, 01:34 PM.
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
              I hope it isn't hard on the AC units to run for long periods of time! When it's hot (105-120F), we'll have both our units running for 12 hours and the secondary unit for 18 hours every day for weeks. I use Auto mode but it doesn't really matter because they never shut off.
              A certified HVAC tech told me, while working on the unit at our last house, that it's better for refrigeration units to run continuously than to cycle on and off.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

A certified HVAC tech told me, while working on the unit at our last house, that it's better for refrigeration units to run continuously than to cycle on and off.

Rob
                I agree. At least from an electrical point of view, a motor that stops and starts will fry long before one that runs steady.
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Working...
                X