Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thermostats on cool with no 120VAC to ACs... any harm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats on cool with no 120VAC to ACs... any harm?

This is a travel day question. Is there any harm in leaving the thermostats on and calling for AC when not connected to shore power (no 120VAC to AC units)? These are Coleman Mach 15s with individual thermostats. I'm wondering if there's any risk of damaging a relay or something if there's a constant call for cooling but no AC to power the ACs (clear as mud?).

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rob - I don.t think so for traveling unless there is a constant 12V draw. However when you connect to shore power the next time it might create a pretty good surge trying to start as you plug in. That could cause issues.

Just thinking
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I guess it would depend on the duty cycle of any relays involved. Since the 12v load is low, I would think it wouldn't hurt.
      Jim (& Sharon)
      2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
      2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
      The toys:
      2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
      2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

I would ensure that the breaker at the pedestal is off when connecting to shore power at your destination if the AC is switched on. Like Yoda said, you'll probably have a pretty good inrush current and you would want to ensure you have a solid connection for it, and not having the plug halfway connected.

I doubt the OEM thermostat would care, but just incase you've upgraded yours, our home thermostat will throw an error if the call for heating or cooling is taking too long and no change in temperature is observed. Again, our home has a smart thermostat though and the OEM one would be fairly simple.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
          I would ensure that the breaker at the pedestal is off when connecting to shore power at your destination if the AC is switched on. Like Yoda said, you'll probably have a pretty good inrush current and you would want to ensure you have a solid connection for it, and not having the plug halfway connected.

I doubt the OEM thermostat would care, but just incase you've upgraded yours, our home thermostat will throw an error if the call for heating or cooling is taking too long and no change in temperature is observed. Again, our home has a smart thermostat though and the OEM one would be fairly simple.
          Thanks... I always make sure the 50 amp breaker is off before plugging in. I usually just leave one AC on to prevent both coming on at the same time initially. It helps get a head-start on cooling the rig down while I finish unhitching and leveling on days like today. The thermostats are OEM and have never thrown an error.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

It helps get a head-start on cooling the rig down while I finish unhitching and leveling on days like today.

Rob
            Lately on days like today, I am jealous of everyone with power sites. We are headed to a campground with no power this weekend and there are heat warnings again ​​​​​
            2019 Imagine 2400BH
            2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

Second Chance Rob, the AC's should be on opposing legs of the 50A service so starting both at the same time should not be an issue. I've done it by accident before, but since there are 2 or 3 of us moving around the unit, it gets unhitched and leveled before any of the utilities are hooked up. After the jacks finish their dance and the power is hooked up, she heads in to start A/C and get slides out while I finish water and sewer.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Second Chance Most of us have surge protectors that won't pass the voltage to the load of the ACs (if they are on) until 15 seconds (Progressive Dynamics) or so after you plug into the pedestal. So, even if you forget to check and the circuit breaker is on, you won't create an arc between the male plug end and the receptacle with a surge protector installed.
                Pat and Karen
                2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post
                  Second Chance Most of us have surge protectors that won't pass the voltage to the load of the ACs (if they are on) until 15 seconds (Progressive Dynamics) or so after you plug into the pedestal. So, even if you forget to check and the circuit breaker is on, you won't create an arc between the male plug end and the receptacle with a surge protector installed.
                  Yes - we have a Progressive Industries HW50C, so thanks for that thought.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob- I still can't believe you actually asked a question here. That's almost like Cate&Rob asking a question about plumbing.
                    Brian & Kellie
                    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
                      Rob- I still can't believe you actually asked a question here. That's almost like Cate&Rob asking a question about plumbing.
                      Brian, I'll take that as a compliment (I think). The fact is, I don't have expertise in RV air conditioners or their control circuits. I thought there might be folks around who do. To quote an infamous former Secretary of Defense, "There are known knowns, there are unknown knowns, there are known unknowns, and there are unknown unknowns..."

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Second Chance Rob, You might try and see how the unit reacts when you first turn it on. I think the fan comes on for several seconds, then the compressor kicks in. If that's the case, then it should not make that much of a difference. The only time you may have issues is when connected to a 30A instead of 50A.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                          Second Chance Rob, You might try and see how the unit reacts when you first turn it on. I think the fan comes on for several seconds, then the compressor kicks in. If that's the case, then it should not make that much of a difference. The only time you may have issues is when connected to a 30A instead of 50A.
                          Yeah - I'm pretty sure that's the case. My primary concern, though (my original question), was whether or not a constant call for cooling from the thermostat when 120VAC was not present for the AC unit during travel would harm anything (like relays) on the AC control board.

Rob
                          Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

No different than it running all day to combat the sun.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X