Question about Options for 2nd AC install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Options for 2nd AC install

I just joined this forum so if this has been asked before I apologize. We just spent a week in our 2020 295RL in 95+ degree with extreme humidity and our single AC unit could not keep up, we steadily lost ground throughout the day, set on 70 and got up to 84 in afternoon and cooled finally overnight. I would like to explore options to adding the 2nd AC unit to my rig. I want it done “right” and would like to see if Grand Design does this after the fact at one of their shops. Has anyone done this? If so what was the cost and lead times to have it installed? If factory is not an option what route have people taken to add the 2nd AC? My dealer or other dealers in the area are not a good option as they have shown gross incompetence at simple jobs and this is not something that I believe is in their ability to perform.

Thanks for your help.

Since the second AC is an option on your rig, the installation should be fairly straightforward. It used to be that hardest part of installing an RV air conditioner was getting it up on the roof, but now it's just finding a unit to install and getting somebody to do it. A good mobile RV mechanic can knock it out in no time if you can find a unit, but it will likely be cold in many places before you can get on their schedule.

In the meantime, add vent cushions, block the furnace return, keep the awning(s) out when you can, Reflectix on windows facing the sun and avoid cooking inside.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Check out https://www.pplmotorhomes.com they are located in Houston but ship. I picked up a unit there for my previous 5er when the Dometic on the roof failed due to plugged capillary tubes.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Hendersonc1 View Post
        I just joined this forum so if this has been asked before I apologize. We just spent a week in our 2020 295RL in 95+ degree with extreme humidity and our single AC unit could not keep up, we steadily lost ground throughout the day, set on 70 and got up to 84 in afternoon and cooled finally overnight. I would like to explore options to adding the 2nd AC unit to my rig. I want it done “right” and would like to see if Grand Design does this after the fact at one of their shops. Has anyone done this? If so what was the cost and lead times to have it installed? If factory is not an option what route have people taken to add the 2nd AC? My dealer or other dealers in the area are not a good option as they have shown gross incompetence at simple jobs and this is not something that I believe is in their ability to perform.

Thanks for your help.
        I agree with Jkwilson -- adding the second a/c to your trailer will be easy for a mobile technician to install. All the wiring is in place.

One note about your Reflection: if tempted to add an RV Airflow to the bedroom a/c, reconsider. I found that due to how our Reflection's "racetrack" is configured that the front fights with the rear unit with two RV Airflows installed.

It's a long thread (sorry--I tend to be verbose) but if you'd like to know more see: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Also, check out the forum's welcome letter here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Hendersonc1 View Post

Thanks for your help.
          I installed mine myself, it was a piece of cake. I purchased from rvupgradestore, and last I checked they still have several units in stock.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

We experienced the same challenges with our one factory AC when camping in direct or nearly direct sun and/or high temp and humidity conditions for our first 4 seasons at times. We had a second AC installed by the GDRV Factory Service Center in Middlebury, IN in the spring of 2018 when we had our walls replaced along with some other things addressed.

Due to the walls delamination issues which should not have happened but can and do, of course, GDRV did this at discounted price as a good gesture. This said, most folks seem to share roughly $1000 for this but I suspect these days it is more or much more.

As shared, your 295 (along with most or all 50 amp service GDRVs) was designed and built for the second AC installation with the wiring in place along with the ducted AC duct work. Most of us would encourage ensuring that you go with the ducted AC install rather than the unducted which can be a cheaper unit and install. The reason is that being able to have the bedroom AC running through the duct work, it is very nice to be able to carry on a conversation or watch TV when possible to run just the front AC. When sleeping the reverse is true by using just the rear AC when one can. We can do this all the time especially in early or late parts of the day when we are in our camper.

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

We ordered our 337 with just one AC due to clearance issues getting into our pole barn. After we got the trailer we were able to measure the clearance and found that a low profile unit will fit with room to spare. We are hoping to find someone at the rally with that type of unit so we can get a model number for one. Although the one unit does and admirable job cooling the trailer its nice to have the flexibility like Dan explained.
              2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
                We ordered our 337 with just one AC due to clearance issues getting into our pole barn. After we got the trailer we were able to measure the clearance and found that a low profile unit will fit with room to spare. We are hoping to find someone at the rally with that type of unit so we can get a model number for one. Although the one unit does and admirable job cooling the trailer its nice to have the flexibility like Dan explained.
                You'll have a LOT of opportunity to look at what others have done to their units at the rally! Camper-gawking was one of my main activities at the '19 rally.

Comment

I really miss RV shows, I love looking at trailers.

Comment

When I purchased mine I went with a Coleman low profile rather than the Dometic I had in the living room based on everyone's reviews and experiences. There are a lot of different models, and you need to match the unit, thermostat, and inside cover (cover determines ducted or non ducted). I communicated by email with a very knowledgeable person at Coleman who got me all the part numbers I needed. I can PM you his email if you want.

Also I went with and recommend the heat pump. I also did the electric heat strips, I'm not sure how much they're worth, but the heat pump has been great when in an electric site and we just want to take a bit of chill out without using any propane.

Neil Citro

Comment

I saw the heat pump units, that would be a definite no go for us. We are cold sleepers and usually have the bedroom door closed and heat duct covered, the dog however is more of a heat lover so she sleeps in front of the fireplace,

Comment

I saw the heat pump units, that would be a definite no go for us. We are cold sleepers and usually have the bedroom door closed and heat duct covered, the dog however is more of a heat lover so she sleeps in front of the fireplace,
                        Yeah we run hot as well, I've got the floor vent closed off too. I find the heat pump with the bedroom vents closed distributes better than the fireplace, but I've got a bunk room in the back I need to account for.

Neil Citro

Comment

I have been reading the forum on adding a second air conditioner in my bedroom on my 303RLS. I have seen many posts on adding a RV Airflow system to one or both units. I see feedback on adding one to each, and adding one to the living area only, etc. I currently do not have an RV airflow system on my AC. I hear talk of raceway ducting and one way air flow. Quite frankly, I do not know what I have, so I am unable to decide on whether I need one or both AC's to have the airflow system, or none at all.

On this same note, I am thinking a low profile AC since that one is higher than the one in the back living area. I have my eyes on a Coleman Mach 8 Plus 13.5K ducted. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome. I have checked my rig and I have the ducts in place, the 110V AC wire, the 12V wire, and the thermostat wire in the roof, and I located the thermostat wire in the wall too (behind the light switch). So it would appear the trailer is pre-wired and ducted for this addition (ducts are currently taped over). I think the hardest part of this whole install will be getting the unit on top of the trailer. My son and I should be able to handle this with two ladders. They appear to be about 100 pounds.

A final thought on a different subject... I added an easy start to my existing AC in hopes my 2000W generator would be able to handle the AC. It still overloads. I even tried my sons 2300W and still no luck. Now I am going to create a cheater cord so that I can actually measure the current it is drawing at start up. I do hear that the fan starts up first, then a little later the compressor kicks on, which is what the easy start was supposed to do. Still apparently too much current though. The generator overloads when the compressor kicks on. This begs the question why not get a larger generator. Currently I run two 2000W generators in parallel to make this work. I am sticking with the 2000W since I can carry these easily. The larger ones are too heavy for me to lift/carry by myself.
                          Anyone else experienced this same issue?
                          Tony G
                          2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                          2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                          KTM 250XC

Comment

Does anyone with prior trips to the national rally think there may be a vendor offering units for sale at rally ? I really like the Coleman Mach 10 low profie 13.5, it would be great to make a deal for the unit, grille and thermostat all at the same time.

The beauty is that its about the same height as the vent cover I have on the trailer right now.

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
                              I have been reading the forum on adding a second air conditioner in my bedroom on my 303RLS. I have seen many posts on adding a RV Airflow system to one or both units. I see feedback on adding one to each, and adding one to the living area only, etc. I currently do not have an RV airflow system on my AC. I hear talk of raceway ducting and one way air flow. Quite frankly, I do not know what I have, so I am unable to decide on whether I need one or both AC's to have the airflow system, or none at all.
                              Our Reflections have a racetrack that ends at the bedroom air conditioner (as shown in post 37 of my thread on a dual RV Airflow install). https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...8424#post58424

Others, like OffToHavasu 's Mometum 351M, have racetrack that extends forward of the bedroom air conditioner. Speculation on my part, but the racetrack configuration seems to make a significant difference in the performance of a dual RV Airflow-equipped system. Curt loves his dual setup as documented in https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eat-rv-airflow As you'll read in my thread, I removed the second RV Airflow. I updated post 37 in my thread to show how Curt's trailer is laid out as compared to a Reflection. Hopefully that visual might give you an idea of what I suspect is going on.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X