Question about Options for 2nd AC install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Our Reflections have a racetrack that ends at the bedroom air conditioner (as shown in post 37 of my thread on a dual RV Airflow install). https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...8424#post58424

Others, like OffToHavasu 's Mometum 351M, have racetrack that extends forward of the bedroom air conditioner. Speculation on my part, but the racetrack configuration seems to make a significant difference in the performance of a dual RV Airflow-equipped system. Curt loves his dual setup as documented in https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eat-rv-airflow As you'll read in my thread, I removed the second RV Airflow. I updated post 37 in my thread to show how Curt's trailer is laid out as compared to a Reflection. Hopefully that visual might give you an idea of what I suspect is going on.

Howard

I'm fairly certain the Solitudes are laid out the same way as the Momentums. My cousin just purchased a Transcend. When I see it, I'll see the duct work is laid out in it.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

I'm fairly certain the Solitudes are laid out the same way as the Momentums. My cousin just purchased a Transcend. When I see it, I'll see the duct work is laid out in it.
      I looked at the Transcend 32BHS' setup and it looks like a "2" or "Z". Completely different from a Momentum or a Reflection. No idea how two RV Airflows will work with this duct configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32BHS Ductwork.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	62742
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
        I have been reading the forum on adding a second air conditioner in my bedroom on my 303RLS. I have seen many posts on adding a RV Airflow system to one or both units. I see feedback on adding one to each, and adding one to the living area only, etc. I currently do not have an RV airflow system on my AC. I hear talk of raceway ducting and one way air flow. Quite frankly, I do not know what I have, so I am unable to decide on whether I need one or both AC's to have the airflow system, or none at all.

On this same note, I am thinking a low profile AC since that one is higher than the one in the back living area. I have my eyes on a Coleman Mach 8 Plus 13.5K ducted. Any thoughts and/or suggestions are welcome. I have checked my rig and I have the ducts in place, the 110V AC wire, the 12V wire, and the thermostat wire in the roof, and I located the thermostat wire in the wall too (behind the light switch). So it would appear the trailer is pre-wired and ducted for this addition (ducts are currently taped over). I think the hardest part of this whole install will be getting the unit on top of the trailer. My son and I should be able to handle this with two ladders. They appear to be about 100 pounds.

A final thought on a different subject... I added an easy start to my existing AC in hopes my 2000W generator would be able to handle the AC. It still overloads. I even tried my sons 2300W and still no luck. Now I am going to create a cheater cord so that I can actually measure the current it is drawing at start up. I do hear that the fan starts up first, then a little later the compressor kicks on, which is what the easy start was supposed to do. Still apparently too much current though. The generator overloads when the compressor kicks on. This begs the question why not get a larger generator. Currently I run two 2000W generators in parallel to make this work. I am sticking with the 2000W since I can carry these easily. The larger ones are too heavy for me to lift/carry by myself.
        Anyone else experienced this same issue?
        Your logic seems sound. I personally went 15k when I did mine so I'd my living room died then the bedroom was full power until I could get it replaced. That said if you're looking to run it off a small generator you might be better with the smaller unit.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
          Does anyone with prior trips to the national rally think there may be a vendor offering units for sale at rally ? I really like the Coleman Mach 10 low profie 13.5, it would be great to make a deal for the unit, grille and thermostat all at the same time.

The beauty is that its about the same height as the vent cover I have on the trailer right now.
          I've been to two and never seen a vendor there selling ac units. Coleman is sometimes there with a booth but they don't sell direct.

Neil Citro

Comment

Ha, its not like anyone is sitting on excess inventory of AC units these days
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Try PPLMOTORHOMES in Houston. They have a warehouse full of stuff.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I looked at the Transcend 32BHS' setup and it looks like a "2" or "Z". Completely different from a Momentum or a Reflection. No idea how two RV Airflows will work with this duct configuration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	32BHS Ductwork.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	62742
                Hi Howard,

Do you have a diagram of how a 2016 303RLS duct system is configured? Not sure if I have a racetrack system or not. I have not pulled the trigger on the second air conditioner yet, but will likely do so this winter since I may have to wait for it a bit. Also, installing in the winter will be a lot cooler for me, especially getting the unit up onto the roof. No snow here in the bay area of California to deal with. I guess my remaining question is whether or not I need the RV Air Flow system in one or both of my units once I put in the second unit. I do like the option I read in an earlier post about the ability to run the bedroom AC to cool the unit when in the living room and vice versa for less noise.

I have also been reading on the Coleman units available. They have a Low Profile, and an Ultra Low Profile (plus standard profile which I am not getting). I am going with a low profile of some sort since the unit will be on the higher portion of the trailer. So my question is which one. Not sure the benefits or pitfalls to getting a Low Profile vs. Ultra Low Profile. Was hoping someone on this forum had experience or knowledge of this.

I will likely start doing the 2nd AC unit in December or so. I am just finishing up my install of the Winegard 360+ with the Gateway option.
                Tony G
                2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
                2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
                KTM 250XC

Comment

tgodrich My 28BH is the same in the front as a 303, so I suspect my install should be similar. You should have the racetrack system. I went with the ultra low profile as it is the highest point on my rig, and I wanted to keep it as low as possible. I also got the heat pump and electric heat. I am extremely happy with the heat pump, if I am camping with power and its just a little cool its great to run with the fireplace (caution does not heat the underbelly if its below freezing). The electric heat strip I just put in to have "just in case" but in practice when its that cold I am usually running the furnace.

Neil Citro

Comment

Hi Neil,
                    I have decided on the Coleman mach 8 ultra low profile. I cannot find any in stock of either the 15K or 13.5K. I suspect the RV manufacturers have locked them all up in the supply chain. Most dealers I talked to don't even know when they may be able to get them. What I am having difficulty with too is determining what part number I need to order for thermostat and the inside trim part of the AC. I want to duct mine (I think) into my existing ducts. I reached out to Coleman (Airxcel) on what I need to buy. Hopefully I will be able to secure an AC before next summer.
                    Tony G
                    KTM 250XC

Comment

Originally posted by tgodrich View Post
                      Hi Neil,
                      I have decided on the Coleman mach 8 ultra low profile. I cannot find any in stock of either the 15K or 13.5K. I suspect the RV manufacturers have locked them all up in the supply chain. Most dealers I talked to don't even know when they may be able to get them. What I am having difficulty with too is determining what part number I need to order for thermostat and the inside trim part of the AC. I want to duct mine (I think) into my existing ducts. I reached out to Coleman (Airxcel) on what I need to buy. Hopefully I will be able to secure an AC before next summer.
                      Yeah figuring out the part numbers was my hardest part (not ordered during this shortage obviously). I have a contact at Coleman I worked with to figure out what I needed I will PM it to you, not sure if he wants it posted publicly. I would strongly recommend you tie into the ducting, that requires the main unit, a thermostat, and the right inside cover. I also added the electric element for backup heat.

I bought from RVUpgradestore, but I see they are out of stock as well. Good hunting.

Neil Citro

Comment

tgodrich https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...white-_08.0200
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

ncitro and tgodrich

The 303RLS does indeed have a "racetrack" configuration. It appears the air conditioners are at the extreme ends of the loop (not unusual in a Reflection).

FYI, the 28BH is slightly different. The living room A/C is not at the furthest aft point of the "racetrack", and in an odd twist it's not a loop at the aft end of the trailer. Think of it more like two legs. The bedroom air conditioner is similar to my 315RLTS'--the component is literally placed at the end of the loop.

I read in an RV Travel.com newsletter that there's a quality issue with the low profile Coleman. Not sure if it's the exact one you're considering or the current status, but this could be why you are not finding any in stock: https://www.rvtravel.com/rvers-cool-coleman-ac-fails/

Howard

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Howard,

Hmmm. That is indeed an ominous thread on those Colemans. Since they seem to be out of stock anyway, I will keep my ear to the ground for more on that model. Note that the link in post #26 in this thread was for a white 15K. I am looking for a black unit to match the other one I have, and match the other things on the roof. Maybe I will open up my AC research again and see if I can find another brand that make an 8" high model.

Tony
                            Tony G
                            KTM 250XC

Comment

Working...
                            X