Airxcel Thermostat Heater - 30G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airxcel Thermostat Heater - 30G

It's cooled off in Arizona, and I had the first need to use my heater. To make a long story short, once the heater cycles up to the set temp, it shuts off and then won't start again. I'm not sure what I'm doing to get it to start back up, but I'm increasing and decreasing temp settings, turning the therm off and on, and eventually it starts working again. I've seen a few comments about replacing functional Airxcel thermostats, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows a solution, besides cycling the settings at 2am when it's 55 degrees in the trailer.
    Jeff
    2021 Momentum 30G
    2021 RAM 2500 6.7L Diesel HD

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
    It's cooled off in Arizona, and I had the first need to use my heater. To make a long story short, once the heater cycles up to the set temp, it shuts off and then won't start again. I'm not sure what I'm doing to get it to start back up, but I'm increasing and decreasing temp settings, turning the therm off and on, and eventually it starts working again. I've seen a few comments about replacing functional Airxcel thermostats, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows a solution, besides cycling the settings at 2am when it's 55 degrees in the trailer.
    Thats strange, I would suspect the thermostat. It has a relay in it, so you can hear it click when it "comes on" to call for heat. I would be curious when it gets stuck if you turn down the temp, or cycle it on and off if you hear the thermostat click. It could be something on the furnace itself, but I would think its unlikely. The thermostat is pretty cheap, you might be able to score one on Amazon and try it and return it if it does not solve the problem. They make a bunch of different ones (combinations of A/C, furnace, heat pump etc) so you will want to make sure you get the right one.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro thanks for the info. Don't know what was going on for the first two days, but last night I set the thermostat to 74 and it worked all night. Gremlins I suppose. Seems like these rigs have them. Thanks again.
      Jeff
      2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Originally posted by JH2112 View Post
        ncitro thanks for the info. Don't know what was going on for the first two days, but last night I set the thermostat to 74 and it worked all night. Gremlins I suppose. Seems like these rigs have them. Thanks again.
        That's great. Keep an eye on it and see what happens. If you're dry camping keep an eye on your battery level. I've seen low voltage so strange things that didn't seem battery related before.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

That's great. Keep an eye on it and see what happens. If you're dry camping keep an eye on your battery level. I've seen low voltage so strange things that didn't seem battery related before.
          Looks like the thermostat needs to be replaced. Last night and this morning it came on for about five minutes then shut off. I restarted it, adjusted temp settings up and down, same thing; five minutes on then off. Not the same problem as before but still a problem since it's getting down to about 50 degrees at night.
          Jeff
          2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Pull the t-stat off the wall and check the electrical connections. seems like I vaguely remember someone having a similar issue and the wiring was loose.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Pull the t-stat off the wall and check the electrical connections. seems like I vaguely remember someone having a similar issue and the wiring was loose.
              This appears to have done the trick. I re-seated the sens wire, and so far so good. Thank you.
              Jeff
              2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

JH2112 I'm experiencing the same issues you mentioned in your original post. I won't get a chance to check it out until TG weekend, but from what I read it can be the t stat like you mentioned. Or, the high temp switch on the furnace, or sail switch on the furnace, or the circuit board on the furnace. Also, obstructed ducts/not enough air flow. On mine when I had it set to 64* it cycled like it should. Anything set above 64*, I found myself waking up 2-3 in the morning and having to turn of the t stat and back on and furnace started to cycle again. I have 2021 28G and the furnace is SF-30Q.
                Last edited by Phil N; 11-09-2021, 12:04 PM.
                Phil
                2021 Momentum 28G
                2016 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Phil N View Post
                  JH2112 I'm experiencing the same issues you mentioned in your original post. I won't get a chance to check it out until TG weekend, but from what I read it can be the t stat like you mentioned. Or, the high temp switch on the furnace, or sail switch on the furnace, or the circuit board on the furnace. Also, obstructed ducts/not enough air flow. On mine when I had it set to 64* it cycled like it should. Anything set above 64*, I found myself waking up 2-3 in the morning and having to turn of the t stat and back on and furnace started to cycle again. I have 2021 28G and the furnace is SF-30Q.
                  Phil N add the battery to your list. My heater quit again, but the fridge also threw an E3 error last night, which is low power. I had connected an inverter to the battery to run my laptop, which worked great, but it must have continued drawing power all night even though I turned it off (don't laugh... I'm new to this. I hooked up my truck and everything is running fine. That was probably the problem (for me) the whole time.

EDIT: or not... the heater just shut off again.
                  Last edited by JH2112; 11-17-2021, 06:59 AM.
                  Jeff
                  2021 Momentum 30G

Comment

Working...
                  X