Furnace blower does not turn off when batteries and shore power connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace blower does not turn off when batteries and shore power connected

Our furnace is working well when we are connected to 50A and 30A shore power. However, I noticed that our battery disconnect switch was disconnected. When I replaced the handle and engaged the batteries, our furnace blower goes non-stop. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Summary:
    • Shore power AND batteries on: furnace blower continually blows (heat works);
    • Shore power ONLY: furnace blower is off and furnace operates as expected.
    We are in a 2021 Reflection 297RSTS (travel trailer).
    Last edited by virebot; 10-14-2021, 06:32 PM.

Interesting problem--any chance you know the exact model of the furnace? (If you have the build sheet in your paperwork it will have the model #.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howdy howson,

Thanks for the reply. In looking through my documentation, I found that it might be the converter fans. Here''s what I have:
      • Furnace: Suburban SF35Q
      • Converter: WRCO WF-9855
      I guess my question is whether or not it's normal for the converter fans to run after 12V battery has been disconnected awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by virebot View Post
        Howdy howson,

Thanks for the reply. In looking through my documentation, I found that it might be the converter fans. Here''s what I have:
        • Furnace: Suburban SF35Q
        • Converter: WRCO WF-9855
        I guess my question is whether or not it's normal for the converter fans to run after 12V battery has been disconnected awhile.
        I guess when the battery disconnect switch is turned to on, it would complete the circuit from the converter to the batteries, meaning the converter can now charge them. That could increase the load on the converter to the point where it needs to engage the fan. I know in our trailer when we have lots of the lights on, the converter fan will kick in. So if you have some lights on, and now present the battery charging load, absolutely the fans could easily kick in.
        ​​​​
        Last edited by StephenO; 10-14-2021, 08:20 PM.
        2019 Imagine 2400BH
        2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

virebot

​​​​​​​Is the furnace fan blowing or is it the converter fan that you are hearing? Confused on the title of this thread and your post #3.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Very confusing symptoms. Doubt the furnace is working at all with the battery disconnect in disconnect mode.
            Jim (& Sharon)
            2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
            2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
            The toys:
            2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
            2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by virebot View Post
              Not sure how much you know about your 297, virebot, so forgive the simplicity of this response if you know all this already.

A converter takes 120vAC shore power and makes 12vDC ("battery power") from it. The converter's power is then used to charge the battery (or batteries) when the battery disconnect is engaged. The converter's power is also used to power the 12v components in the trailer. The furnace fan is an example of a 12v appliance. Lights, exhaust fans, the slideouts...many components in your camper run off of 12vDC.

If the battery disconnect is disengaged and there is a demand for 12vDC in the trailer, it is quite possible for the converter's fans to run since it is doing all the work (so fans are running to dissipate the heat as a result of the 120vAC-to-12vDC conversion).

Bottom line: while using the camper, keep the battery disconnect engaged ("on"). The battery then acts like a "shock absorber" for high demands of 12vDC and the converter will keep the battery charged.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X