Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Air Conditioner and Furnace Thermostat Issue (Yes, Again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our 200MK would run hot until I routed the sensor wire through the A/C filter and down into the cabin a couple of inches. Now, it works closer to normal.
    Ruth and Patrick
    2022 Transcend 200MK
    2021 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

Comment

I’ve gone through all the “fixes” for the Furrion temperature problems. Pushing the sensor through the grill helps both AC and furnace performance, but tends to cause the AC to short cycle if the dump shutter is open. That’s because the intake draws cold air across the sensor. The only true fix is to relocate the sensor to the wall or find a different thermostat that will work ( I have no idea if one is available). Our two AC units and furnace worker perfectly now.
      2022 3100RD
      2019 F-150 V6 Twin Turbo 10 speed
      Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

I contacted Furion and they told me not to do the relocation, even though they know Grand Designs have this problem. "It will void your warranty". They did not have any proper-fix suggestion, basically told me "tough luck". I wonder what warranty they were talking about. The so-called thermostat doesn't even have a warranty. I haven't contacted Grand Design yet. Have to get over the fear of sitting on hold on an international call.

Furion did mention something useful. They said that they are working on a model of the thermostat which will also have a sensor in the thermostat body, as well as the remote sensor in the roof. They did not have an ETA for that model.
        2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

I got the same. My dealer and GD both promised to stand behind the AC units, however, so I chose a properly operating system over a threat that I may never have to face.
          2022 3100RD
          Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
            I contacted Furion and they told me not to do the relocation, even though they know Grand Designs have this problem. "It will void your warranty". They did not have any proper-fix suggestion, basically told me "tough luck". I wonder what warranty they were talking about. The so-called thermostat doesn't even have a warranty. I haven't contacted Grand Design yet. Have to get over the fear of sitting on hold on an international call.

Furion did mention something useful. They said that they are working on a model of the thermostat which will also have a sensor in the thermostat body, as well as the remote sensor in the roof. They did not have an ETA for that model.
            So they are going back to a wall mounted thermostat like every HVAC system ever made uses. What a great idea.

Jim

Comment

These pictures show where I relocated the sensors in our 3100RD with two AC units.
              2022 3100RD
              Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
                These pictures show where I relocated the sensors in our 3100RD with two AC units.
                That looks pretty good, much easier than trying to fish it. What is that plastic cover called, and how is it attached to the ceiling/wall?

Did you get any help from Grand Design? I wonder if it can be moved just by cutting the temperature sensor wire and soldering in a longer wire?
                2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

The plastic conduits came from Lowes. They have foam tape to stick them up, but I put a couple screws in most runs just to make sure they stay if it gets hot inside during storage.

GD Customer Service was very helpful and instrumental in my getting the needed relocation kits. I see no reason you could not extend the existing wires, but I think it’s best to leave everything restorable to “as delivered” condition should there ever be a warranty claim, even though GD said I didn’t need to be concerned about that.
                  2022 3100RD
                  Over 55 years TT towing

Comment

Thanks everyone for identifying this problem and helping me find the solution. I'm writing this from inside the trailer, it's -29C outside and the furnace finally works properly!

Thanks also to Grand Design. One quick phone call and the temperature sensor relocation kit was on the way. By the way: it's made by castlewinch.com.

I don't know why Furion is being so stubbornly stupid about this. Once the sensor is where it's supposed to be: it clearly works so much better. They should be sending these relocation kits, not Grand Design. It's not even a big deal, just a length of cheap wire with 3 cheap connectors. Probably 5$ worth of parts at retail, 1$ wholesale.

My setup is pretty simple, routed under the AC return duct cap, down behind the cabinets. The trailer wall behind the cabinets is flexible, I was able to push the connector down without much difficulty:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Furrion relocation 1.jpg Views:	30 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	75111

Click image for larger version  Name:	Furrion relocation 2.jpg Views:	30 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	75112

Once I find some time I'll try to make it prettier like Rabbit's.
                    Last edited by AndrewSmith; 01-25-2022, 12:03 AM.
                    2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

AndrewSmith

It looks like you could remove the trim ring on the vent and fish this wire back to the ac unit thru the roof and then drill a hole up thru the ceiling inside the cabinet and fish the wire over to there and then down thru the bottom of the cabinet to the thermostat. It also looks like you need to tape the foam inside the ac unit against the right side in your picture , this will seal the air from going and coming from the inside ceiling area.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Has anyone tried to fish these wires through the wall? I also thought I read where Furrion was working on a "real" thermostat for the system. Anyone have info on that? First time out in our 2970RL w/Furrion systems and liking the Coleman Mach from my 2150RB more and more Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                          AndrewSmith

It looks like you could remove the trim ring on the vent and fish this wire back to the ac unit thru the roof and then drill a hole up thru the ceiling inside the cabinet and fish the wire over to there and then down thru the bottom of the cabinet to the thermostat. It also looks like you need to tape the foam inside the ac unit against the right side in your picture , this will seal the air from going and coming from the inside ceiling area.

Brian
                          Thanks for the tip. I could also fish the wire through the duct going to that vent. But I don't know how to remove the ring. I worry about breaking it. Is there a trick move to get it out in one piece?
                          2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSmith View Post
                            Thanks everyone for identifying this problem and helping me find the solution. I'm writing this from inside the trailer, it's -29C outside and the furnace finally works properly!

Thanks also to Grand Design. One quick phone call and the temperature sensor relocation kit was on the way. By the way: it's made by castlewnch.com.

I don't know why Furion is being so stubbornly stupid about this. Once the sensor is where it's supposed to be: it clearly works so much better. They should be sending these relocation kits, not Grand Design. It's not even a big deal, just a length of cheap wire with 3 cheap connectors. Probably 5$ worth of parts at retail, 1$ wholesale.

My setup is pretty simple, routed under the AC return duct cap, down behind the cabinets. The trailer wall behind the cabinets is flexible, I was able to push the connector down without much difficulty:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion relocation 1.jpg
Views:	1946
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	75111

Click image for larger version

Name:	Furrion relocation 2.jpg
Views:	1861
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	75112

Once I find some time I'll try to make it prettier like Rabbit's.
                            That is truly amazing! I just fished the sensor through the AC vent and then had the fan on auto; It kept the heat level pretty comfortable but at the end of the day we didn’t really like cold camping and turned back towards the palm trees and never heard terms like wind chill and real feel ever again! It was glorious!
                            Los Fragosos
                            2021 Ram 1500 Laramie
                            2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400BH
                            2021 Winnebago View 24j

Comment

The hardest part of getting the line through the wall will be at the top. If you are creative with fish tape and glow rods, you might be able to hook them and drag the wiring through.

As for removing the vent, IIRC, they just pop into the ring. Pull gently while turning. The older the unit, the more likely to have issues as the plastic gets more brittle (3+ years) with age.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit View Post
                                The plastic conduits came from Lowes. They have foam tape to stick them up, but I put a couple screws in most runs just to make sure they stay if it gets hot inside during storage.
                                Do you remember what it was called or what it was designed for? I went to home depot, couldn't find anything like this.. but I also didn't know where to look
                                2021 Transcend 247BH

Comment

Working...
                                X