Airxcel Thermostat does detect Heat Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDRV-Emily View Post
    howson basend on the appliance sheet here is the info. Hope it translates OK for you!

AIR CONDITIONER W/ HEAT PUMP COLEMAN 48004-869 170111568
    AIR CONDITIONER, BEDROOM COLEMAN MACH 15 48254C869
    AIR CONDITIONER, LIVING ROOM COLEMAN MACH 15 48254C869 170112300
    Perfect. Thanks, Emily.

Joesmainship -- still with me? Your unit's documents are here: https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...eat-pumps/hp-2

Unfortunately not a single one shows how to wire in the thermostat from the appliance. The installation manual for the thermostat has different colored wires than what you show in the first post, so at this point I've exhausted every avenue I can think of. :( https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...361-manual.pdf

You mentioned in a previous post that the thermostat was replaced by a dealer. Time to take it back.

Please let me (and everyone else here) know what fixes your unit.

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you howson for all of your hard work on this one. Joesmainship I will be interested in hearing how this turns out!!

Comment

Thank you howson for all of your hard work on this one. Joesmainship I will be interested in hearing how this turns out!!
        Thanks to all of you for your help! I stopped by Dixie RV in Grand Bay, AL and gave them the model number of my Heat Pump and they want to verify the correct thermostat for the unit. I am going to try and get them to order me another thermostat to try and rule out the bad thermostat theory. Dixie will not schedule my rig in for service because they have a massive construction project ongoing and it's the old "I didn't buy it from them" excuse (Dixie bought out the dealer I bought my Solitude from). I tried contacting Airxcel and they will not communicate with retail customers at all, period. If Dixie will not get me a new thermostat, I will just purchase one online to try. If I find that my thermostat is good, my next step will be to look at the wiring. To change the thermostat, the techs at Dixie pulled the wiring behind the wall out to change the thermostat so they may have damaged a wire or there may be wiring caps back behind the wall that they pulled loose. In a perfect world, Dixie would take it back in and fix what they screwed up, but it is what it is. They are working with me a little bit, so we will figure it out. Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions! The GD family is great.

Comment

I could use a little help on one item. I climbed up on top of my Solitude and copied the model number of the living area heat pump. It is: 48004-869. If someone has a resource, could you find out what model Airxcel thermostat is specified for that model number Coleman Mach unit? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Joesmainship View Post

I could use a little help on one item. I climbed up on top of my Solitude and copied the model number of the living area heat pump. It is: 48004-869. If someone has a resource, could you find out what model Airxcel thermostat is specified for that model number Coleman Mach unit? Thanks!
            That's good--the number on your unit matches what Emily wrote in post 15.

The documents for your unit I linked in post 16 don't specify a list of compatible thermostats. https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...al-thermostats shows thermostats with descriptions. I'm not an expert, so I'm guessing your unit is a single-stage heat pump, so there's a limited number of options. Hopefully someone else here can confirm.

Regardless, I suspect to get an authoritative answer you'll need to contact Coleman-Mach (Airxcel). https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/contact-us

Thanks for continuing to document your saga--will be very interested to know what ultimately fixes the issue.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Sorry that you're still struggling with this.

Per the Airxcel web site, you have a Coleman Mach 15 HP2. There are three non-Bluetooth Airxcel digital thermostats that will work with it:

- the 9630-3361 (we have this one - you likely did too and you have another one now),
              - the 9630-3391 (same product but white),
              - the 9630-3371 (same product but with plugs that our trailers don't need).

I'm sure in your frustrating circumstances (I've had bad Dixie experience at another location) you're second-guessing everything but to me there seems but one choice, the 9630-3361.

In addition to the theory that the thermostat Dixie installed is faulty, and the theory that they may have damaged wiring when they did the installation, one more (unlikely) theory occurs.

It's remotely possible that your heat pump is mis-wired on the heat pump end; bear with me. The factory tech installing it may have used the wire colors inappropriately when installing BOTH the heat pump and the thermostat, so it worked, but the new thermostat wired with the colors as they *should* be (yours are currently the same as ours on our working thermostat) would be incorrect per the heat pump. It's a long shot.

A tester like the one below and an extra pair of hands would help resolve the second and unlikely third theories by allowing you to trace the wires from the thermostat to their attachments at the heat pump.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CL5NCMJ...000FTADX0&th=1

You're right, you shouldn't have to do this yourself. Another option if under warranty is to contact Grand Design, relate yet another bad dealer service experience, and ask for the support of a mobile technician. They will want you to get a written estimate in advance - a bit problematic in uncertain circumstances like these - but may work with you to send you another thermostat, pay for a mobile tech, and get the problem resolved.

They MIGHT even allow you to upgrade to a Bluetooth version of the thermostat (9630-3523) for a small fee... wouldn't that be cool? (Or warm, since that's what you want after all this BS.)

Good luck.

OK MODS, got the blocker to fire again. All I did was add the Bluetooth t-stat model number to the post and re-save it, about a minute after first posting.
              Last edited by boyscout; 11-30-2019, 12:28 PM.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Regardless, I suspect to get an authoritative answer you'll need to contact Coleman-Mach (Airxcel). https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-mach/contact-us
                I have not been able to get the "contact us" link to work at Airxcel. The contact form comes us and I fill it in with my info and message, but when I submit, I get an error message each time. I tried to talk with them directly, but they won't speak directly with retail customers over the phone, only technicians. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll eventually get this sorted out. If Dixie RV won't get me another Airxcel 9630-336 thermostat to try, I'll just order one online from an RV supply store that will accept returns. If I could just try another thermostat, that will rule out the bad thermostat theory. If the new thermostat does the same thing, then I have to look elsewhere. I don't really expect that because the heat pump worked fine with my old thermostat and the only place the wiring was messed with was at the thermostat.
                Last edited by Joesmainship; 12-01-2019, 12:28 PM.

Comment

I have not been able to get the "contact us" link to work at Airxcel. The contact form comes us and I fill it in with my info and message, but when I submit, I get an error message each time. I tried to talk with them directly, but they won't speak directly with retail customers over the phone, only technicians. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll eventually get this sorted out. If Dixie RV won't get me another Airxcel 9630-336 thermostat to try, I'll just order one online from an RV supply store that will accept returns. If I could just try another thermostat, that will rule out the bad thermostat theory. If the new thermostat does the same thing, then I have to look elsewhere. I don't really expect that because the heat pump worked fine with my old thermostat and the only place the wiring was messed with was at the thermostat.
                  Is the question still: "What thermostats are compatible with the Airxcel 48004-869 heat pump unit?" boyscout covered that question comprehensively in post 21, but I understand if you want Airxcel's confirmation.

Call Grand Design Customer Service tomorrow. Let them know what's going on and see if they can get an answer from Airxcel for you.

If Customer Service can't help, post here again.

Comment

Okay, time for the "rest of the story". It was a faulty thermostat installed by the techs at Dixie RV. I finally ordered a new 9630-3361 Airxcel thermostat from Amazon. After powering down the camper, I swapped out the thermostat and, eureka, everything worked. HEAT-gas and HEAT-electric. So, basically, the dealership did not verify that the new replacement thermostat worked properly before releasing the camper back to me. Pretty sad. Thanks to everyone here for your help and suggestions. Happy New Year!!

Comment

Working...
                    X