Replace Thermostat with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Thermostat with?

Is there a Programable Thermostat I can replace my oem Thermo with? 2020 GD Imagine 300QB Would like to do a wifi enabled one.

Dometic and Coleman both make one. Residential thermostats won't work and you would need to verify that any thermostat you consider would be compatible with your make and model of air conditioner and heater. One of the Dometic thermostats is Bluetooth capable.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by cjsurette View Post
      Is there a Programable Thermostat I can replace my oem Thermo with? 2020 GD Imagine 300QB Would like to do a wifi enabled one.
      The answer is yes with at least a couple of qualifications. First, you'd have to have space to mount it where your current t-stat is now or be prepared for potentially-challenging snaking of wires through walls to install it somewhere else that it can do its job. Second, you'd have to have AC supply voltage for it - there'd be no operation without shore power or an inverter system - and a 24 volt transformer and related wiring.

In those circumstances something like a Honeywell 8000 or a Nest (and probably other options) can be made to work. You've gotta know what you're doing though.

Here's a guy who installed a Nest - he flashes schematic diagrams in the video if you can screen-grab them and read them.

P.S. you did say "wi-fi" which has many possibilities including monitoring and control from far away. If you're only looking for control from your phone while you're near the trailer, a Bluetooth solution would be a whole lot easier. Airxcel makes a couple that *might* be a simple replacement for you.

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...th-thermostats

If you have a heat pump, the 9630-3523, if not the 9430-3543.

Good luck.
      Last edited by howson; 11-19-2019, 03:41 PM. Reason: Embedded video instead of the link.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Any residencial thermostat that requires batteries will work as a replacement for the Coleman or Airxcel OEM thermostat. The batteries in the residential thermostat provide the operatiing voltage and the thermostat provides the switching contacts that will operate both the A/C or Furnace. The only thing the residential thermostat won't handle is the ability to allow changing the fan speed from high to low, but you can choose to wire it either control the fan high speed circuit or the low speed circuit. I have replaced my GD 303RLS OEM Airxcel with a Honeywell T4 residential unit with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Cqyqte View Post
          Any residencial thermostat that requires batteries will work as a replacement for the Coleman or Airxcel OEM thermostat. The batteries in the residential thermostat provide the operatiing voltage and the thermostat provides the switching contacts that will operate both the A/C or Furnace. The only thing the residential thermostat won't handle is the ability to allow changing the fan speed from high to low, but you can choose to wire it either control the fan high speed circuit or the low speed circuit. I have replaced my GD 303RLS OEM Airxcel with a Honeywell T4 residential unit with no problems.
          cjsurette was looking for a wi-fi enabled thermostat. AFAIK there aren't any wi-fi thermostats that run long-term on batteries.

If he/she reads this it would be great to know what was used, or if the idea was abandoned.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by cjsurette View Post
            It’s not as easy as it used to be if you have a Dometic, it can be done but you need to install the smart thermostat in line with the Dometic, so it’ll turn power on and off to the Dometic, and therefore the heat or air. The Coleman is I believe a more straightforward install. You’d need to tap into a light and make use of a 12v to 24v power supply (and possibly a small inverter to make it into AC).
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I replaced my thermostat with the Bluetooth model that Mark (boyscout ) mentioned above. It's not programmable but it's nice being able to turn the heat on in the morning while you're in bed
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
              X