Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion AC Temp Sensor Relocation: Alternative, parts-free method

The wiring from the Furrion wall controller to the roof unit MAY (your system may be different) include extra conductors depending on what Grand Design had available at the time they built your unit. In my case, I had extra conductors so I went ahead with this relocation method. Here's what I did.

disclaimer: do this at your own risk. It's not hard if you're used to working with small gauge wiring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	55.5 KB ID:	81713

Step 1: Find your wire bundle from the wall controller. It will be spliced to the red, blue, green, and purple wires going to the rooftop unit control module. Are there extra conductors? If so, you're in luck.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	81714
    Step 2: Remove the wall unit. It comes off with a quarter turn lefty loosey. I also removed the backing plate as seen here since I needed to enlarge the factory hole in the wall slightly to get all those big blocky splice connectors out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	81715
    Step 3: Isolate your spare conductors and strip away any outer insulating jacket to free up some slack.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4.jpg Views:	2 Size:	77.8 KB ID:	81716
    Step 4: Cut off the existing temp sensor with enough slack on both ends of your cut to make some splices. No turning back now! Strip and splice the wires together. Splice each conductor individually, then optionally shrink wrap the whole works together for added strength. I used heat shrink solder connectors you'll see in subsequent photos. They work great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	5.jpg Views:	2 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	81717
    Step 5: Splice your temp sensor leads to the remote ends of your spare conductors. I used heat shrink solder splice connectors but butt connectors would probably work too. The conductors in the wire bundle are not braided though and I don't like butt splicing solid conductors when solder is a thing that exists.
    Last edited by uwskier; 04-09-2022, 05:14 PM.
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	8 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	81719
    Click image for larger version  Name:	7.jpg Views:	8 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	81720
    Step 6: TEST! Body heat works well. The sensor temp should rise pretty quickly if you give it a light squeeze. GREAT SUCCESS!!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	8.jpg Views:	8 Size:	76.0 KB ID:	81721
    Step 7: Put everything back together and clean up. Grab a beer and tell your wife what a studly man you are. When she finishes laughing, remind her that she'll be happy when the heat and AC works better next time.

I don't have unfettered access to my wall controller (you can probably call it a thermostat now) where I park since I can't open my slide all the way, so I just left the sensor there as a tail for now. I'll figure out a way to make it look better on our next outing. I think I'll drill a small hole right below the controller and have it protrude there. That or I've thought of housing it inside the controller itself and fabricating a plate that holds the controller away from the wall slightly to let airflow in. TBD.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by uwskier; 04-12-2022, 08:16 PM.
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

uwskier

That is a great modification and surely will be copied by others. I think we will pass this on to GD next week while we are there.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

uwskier -- brilliant mod, well executed with stellar documentation. Thanks for posting this! Moving to Reference Library.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I just watched the Furrion A/C Webinar training course. He stated that units manufactured as of Feb 2022 going forward, Furrion has placed the room sensor inside the thermostat. Finally!

I agree that this is a great mod, but my rig has a thermostat wire with only 5 wires, so only one unused. I am going to try and pull a new 8 wire bundle through, hoping that the existing wire is not tacked down along the way.
          Last edited by AZMike; 04-13-2022, 09:51 AM.
          Mike and (RIP Karen)
          2021 2600RB
          2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post
            I just watched the Furrion A/C Webinar training course. He stated that units manufactured as of Feb 2022 going forward, Furrion has placed the room sensor inside the thermostat. Finally!

I agree that this is a great mod, but my rig has a thermostat wire with only 5 wires, so only one unused. I am going to try and pull a new 8 wire bundle through, hoping that the existing wire is not tacked down along the way.
            Yes, the other moderators and I are at Grand Design for technical training this week and discussed this (among other things). We will be presenting our findings when we get back, but we did ask about the new thermostat with sensor. The new units are shipping that way and there is an upgrade path using the existing wiring. It will require a new board and control unit (thermostat), but we were glad to see there is at least a retrofit being planned.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Looking forward to the official fix and whether there's going to be a retrofit for owners of affected units.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

AZMike Mike you might check out the sensor and see if it has a common wire. IF the common wire runs down to the wall controller you will only need the 1 extra wire to hook up the sensor. Now this is thinking outside the electron zone a bit since I do not have nor have I worked on a Furrion.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yes, the other moderators and I are at Grand Design for technical training this week and discussed this (among other things). We will be presenting our findings when we get back, but we did ask about the new thermostat with sensor. The new units are shipping that way and there is an upgrade path using the existing wiring. It will require a new board and control unit (thermostat), but we were glad to see there is at least a retrofit being planned.
                  Thanks, Neil. Please keep us posted with any news. I would be very interested if they offer an upgrade kit.
                  Mike and (RIP Karen)
                  2021 2600RB
                  2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    AZMike Mike you might check out the sensor and see if it has a common wire. IF the common wire runs down to the wall controller you will only need the 1 extra wire to hook up the sensor. Now this is thinking outside the electron zone a bit since I do not have nor have I worked on a Furrion.
                    Joseph - I have the Furrion documentation (with the schematic), and the sensor does not use a common wire.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

AZMike it was worth a shot. Did you get the documentation electronically? If so, can you post a link (maybe one of the moderators will sticky it somewhere).
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

AZMike it was worth a shot. Did you get the documentation electronically? If so, can you post a link (maybe one of the moderators will sticky it somewhere).
                        It's just a PDF that I got from Furrion's website, readily available.
                        Mike and (RIP Karen)
                        2021 2600RB
                        2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

AZMike Thanks. See link below, is this the one you used?

howson Howard, would it be worth adding the file (links go bad when products get discontinued) to the system? https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906115280...3138705040.pdf
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

AZMike Thanks. See link below, is this the one you used?

howson Howard, would it be worth adding the file (links go bad when products get discontinued) to the system? https://cdn.accentuate.io/1906115280...3138705040.pdf
                            Yes, that's it. Page 11.
                            Mike and (RIP Karen)
                            2021 2600RB
                            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Jlawles2 -- done. See attached PDF.
                              Attached Files
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X