Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Air Conditioner Webinar (Notes and Response from LCI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by landonth@gmail.com View Post

Right on!!! Thanks for the update and the pictures. Can’t wait for mine to arrive. I’m hopeful this fixes the issue.

Finally the new parts arrived and I had a chance to install the new thermostat and zone controller this weekend. Well it seems to help the short cycling of the compressor, I was less then impressed with the accuracy of the thermostat temperature reading.

The new thermostat only reads temperature for the heat mode and it is far from accurate. It seems to read about 5 degrees Celsius off for the heat setting, to get to 19 degrees in the trailer the thermostat needs to be set to 24/25 degrees for the furnace to kick on.

On the other hand when the heat mode is displaying 25 degrees (when it it’s actually 19 degrees) you can switch modes to cool or fan and the temperature will read off the room sensor probe in the a/c. This temperature is also incorrect as it’s still located inside the inlet duct. The sensor is just long enough to poke out the grill if you decide to do this. When poked out of the grill it will read a more accurate room temperature.

I am at the point where I almost regret changing the old thermostat and zone controller out. At least the old setup read correctly when the sensor was poked out of the grill.

I may contact Furrion and see what they have to say about the thermostat miss reading the temperature on heat mode.

Comment

Hello all!

I have a 2800BH with two AC units. I recently received the “fix” from Grand Design of the new thermostat and controller. The new thermostat does in fact have a temp sensor on the bottom of it. The brain has a different part number but still has a room sensor within the wiring. No other instructions were provided. I installed everything and it still appears to be reading the temp from within the return in the ceiling. Anybody else try installing the Grand Design “fix”?

Thanks,

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by CaliCamping View Post
        Hello all!

I have a 2800BH with two AC units. I recently received the “fix” from Grand Design of the new thermostat and controller. The new thermostat does in fact have a temp sensor on the bottom of it. The brain has a different part number but still has a room sensor within the wiring. No other instructions were provided. I installed everything and it still appears to be reading the temp from within the return in the ceiling. Anybody else try installing the Grand Design “fix”?

Thanks,

Jake
        Hopefully you find your post here! I moved it (twice, sorry!) as this is the better thread for you to get help. Perhaps AZMike or another member that's done the upgrade can assist with specific questions.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If it's still pulling the temp from the in-unit sensor for the AC, I wonder how it helps with short cycling, unless there's a logic change in the new controller. Maybe it reads both temperatures and only kicks on when the in-unit temperature exceeds set point, and kicks off once the thermostat sensor reaches set point. This would require the continuous operation of the fan, which I have to do on mine anyways even with my relocation fix.
          2022 Imagine 2600RB
          2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

It appears that it does read the room temperature (in A/C mode) from the room sensor on the control box (I verified this by holding the room sensor between my warm fingers - very scientific!). I saw another post that stated the sensor on the new thermostat is used in heat mode. I have not verified this, but I am very happy with the performance of my A/C now. When it is 100° outside with full sun and no shade (like the other day) it was a very comfortable 75° inside the trailer. This logic makes sense to me since when the furnace is running the true temperature should be sensed in the living area (4 to 5 feet from the floor). Also, with the old sensor setup, Furrion expected you to run the A/C fan with the furnace. How would you do that off grid unless you had 120V available?
            Mike and (RIP Karen)
            2021 2600RB
            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post
              It appears that it does read the room temperature (in A/C mode) from the room sensor on the control box (I verified this by holding the room sensor between my warm fingers - very scientific!). I saw another post that stated the sensor on the new thermostat is used in heat mode. I have not verified this, but I am very happy with the performance of my A/C now. When it is 100° outside with full sun and no shade (like the other day) it was a very comfortable 75° inside the trailer. This logic makes sense to me since when the furnace is running the true temperature should be sensed in the living area (4 to 5 feet from the floor). Also, with the old sensor setup, Furrion expected you to run the A/C fan with the furnace. How would you do that off grid unless you had 120V available?
              On our floorplans, the heater will short cycle with the sensor near the thermostat unless you put something in front of the heat outlet under the flip-up counter extension to redirect the air outward into the cabin. Otherwise the hot air blows almost straight onto the thermostat in the 2600RB. This was another lesson I learned with my relocation mod.
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Originally posted by uwskier View Post

On our floorplans, the heater will short cycle with the sensor near the thermostat unless you put something in front of the heat outlet under the flip-up counter extension to redirect the air outward into the cabin. Otherwise the hot air blows almost straight onto the thermostat in the 2600RB. This was another lesson I learned with my relocation mod.
                I fixed that issue quite a while ago by putting a closable vent cover on the vent below the flip up counter extension.
                Mike and (RIP Karen)
                2021 2600RB
                2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by landonth@gmail.com View Post

Finally the new parts arrived and I had a chance to install the new thermostat and zone controller this weekend. Well it seems to help the short cycling of the compressor, I was less then impressed with the accuracy of the thermostat temperature reading.

The new thermostat only reads temperature for the heat mode and it is far from accurate. It seems to read about 5 degrees Celsius off for the heat setting, to get to 19 degrees in the trailer the thermostat needs to be set to 24/25 degrees for the furnace to kick on.

On the other hand when the heat mode is displaying 25 degrees (when it it’s actually 19 degrees) you can switch modes to cool or fan and the temperature will read off the room sensor probe in the a/c. This temperature is also incorrect as it’s still located inside the inlet duct. The sensor is just long enough to poke out the grill if you decide to do this. When poked out of the grill it will read a more accurate room temperature.

I am at the point where I almost regret changing the old thermostat and zone controller out. At least the old setup read correctly when the sensor was poked out of the grill.

I may contact Furrion and see what they have to say about the thermostat miss reading the temperature on heat mode.
                  In the same boat. I did find the new logic to be slightly less frustrating with the AC, but honestly it's almost imperceptible leading me to believe I just want it to be better. The thermostat still has to be poked through the AC filter, and now the heater is on its own program altogether. It's really a shame because the AC works well, but this thermostat nonsense ruins it. I saved all the old stuff but reluctant to reinstall when I know we weren't happy with that either.

The current temperature in our trailer is 72 degrees as measured by a reliable thermostat. If I set the Furrion wall thermostat to heat, it says the trailer is 79 degrees. If I set it to any other setting, it says it is 75 degrees. Earlier today, the actual temperature was 64. Set to AC, the thermostat read fairly accurately at 65. However, we switched to heat and it declared the trailer was 74 degrees. I can't even figure out where it gets the temperature for heat because I can place a thermostat right next to either the AC unit or Furrion wall unit and get an accurate temp. The heat temp is only close if I turn the AC fan on constantly, which makes me extremely curious where it is getting temp from now.

At this point, I am seriously considering installing a separate thermostat, right next to the existing one, for the heater. They don't cost much and then the heater itself would work. If the heater ran off its own thermostat, I think we could live with the way the AC operates.

SO, now for my questions if there are still any experts monitoring the thread!

1. Can I use the wires currently feeding the wall thermostat from the heater to connect to a separate thermostat? Basically, I want to remove the heater wires from the Furrion thermostat and connect them to a separate thermostat, avoiding having to run more wires. Will this impact the operation of the Furrion AC in any way? If this is possible, may start a separate thread for wiring details.

2. I noticed there is an optional heating unit for the Furrion AC. Can we add this to a unit with a wall thermostat? Can I control it with that thermostat? I don't think this would work with the Furrion thermostat also controlling the propane heater (maybe it could?), but if I separate the two, could it work? Wiring modification required? Not sure how all that would work and have not found much guidance from Furrion, but it has the potential to solve our issues and add a nice electric heat option for mild nights.

Happy to take responses in another thread or PM, but thought the "fix" not really fixing anything was relevant data for this thread. Hopefully two months isn't too old to revive!

Comment

stealth13777 sorry for the short answer as I'm on my phone.

#2: If added, must control with thermostat that powers the a/c.

#1: Doable, the only "risk" is running furnace and a/c simultaneously.

Howard

P.S. Please start a new thread if you'd like help with wiring. I may not be online as I'll be traveling.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Does anyone know if they really fixed the issue for the Furrion Chill cycling while in AC mode? I have tried to get a response from GD but nothing so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgarza291 View Post
                        Does anyone know if they really fixed the issue for the Furrion Chill cycling while in AC mode? I have tried to get a response from GD but nothing so far.
                        There have been various "opinions" as to whether or not the new, upgraded parts fixed the short cycling issue. I will say that it definitely fixed the issue for me. The Furrion Chill is very efficient and I an very satisfied with the performance after installing the upgraded parts. It is now working as it should.
                        Mike and (RIP Karen)
                        2021 2600RB
                        2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                        X