Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15000BTU AC w 2000 watt generator

Good Evening,

Our new 2800BH has a 15000BTU air conditioner. Has anyone tried running this size AC with a 2000 watt generator if using an easy start?

I guess the first step is trying to find the running wattage which I can’t seem to find. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know the running wattage of the 15k dometic AC unit.

thanks for all the help,
    Paul
    Paul & Maja
    2022 Imagine 2800BHS
    2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

Running wattage isn’t the number you need. Watts become complicated when powering an inductive load, so you switch to VA or just amps when dealing with things like AC motors. You need your air conditioner running and starting amps. It may be on a tag on the outside part of the unit.

Running amps for most 2000W generators is 13.3 which is pushing it for most 15K air conditioners, and starting amps is only 16.7. Complicating things, the air conditioner uses 12V power too, meaning your converter is drawing power as well. It can draw as much as another 8A depending on battery condition. Even under the best circumstances, a 2000W generator can barely do the job. Many, if not most people either get a 3500W generator or run a pair of 2000 or 2200W generators with a parallel kit.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Another factor to consider is if that 2000w gen will actually produce the power it claims it will. I had a small Generac that supposedly was 2000w. The electricians tested it during my house construction and if I recall correctly it struggled to hit 1600. It was a good small gen for building, it ran my little pancake compressor or a circular saw so we didnt have to listen to my big gen blasting away and guzzling gas all day. It just never lived up to the numbers. Something cooked in the control board after about 6 yrs and it wasnt worth repairing.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
        Another factor to consider is if that 2000w gen will actually produce the power it claims it will. I had a small Generac that supposedly was 2000w. The electricians tested it during my house construction and if I recall correctly it struggled to hit 1600. It was a good small gen for building, it ran my little pancake compressor or a circular saw so we didnt have to listen to my big gen blasting away and guzzling gas all day. It just never lived up to the numbers. Something cooked in the control board after about 6 yrs and it wasnt worth repairing.
        Most 2000W generators actually produce about 1600W. The number on a generator is its surge rating.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post
          Good Evening,

Our new 2800BH has a 15000BTU air conditioner. Has anyone tried running this size AC with a 2000 watt generator if using an easy start?

I guess the first step is trying to find the running wattage which I can’t seem to find. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know the running wattage of the 15k dometic AC unit.

thanks for all the help,
          Paul
          We recently had the same question. We're new to RVing and wanted to be able to use a generator a lot of the time so we're not married to shore power. The research I did was that a 15k btu AC averages 3500w start up, and average running is 1500w. We chose two 2500w champions and parallel them. We don't have soft starts and can run two 15k ACs at the same time easily and still have power for the TV and fridge. We have never tried running just one generator and starting just one AC because the generators only have a 30amp outlet and we need 50amp. I'm assuming it won't work because of the start up watts needed.

I found that all the manufacturers of the generators I researched tell you on their website what the actual running watts are of their generators.
          2017 F350 SRW long bed
          2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
          300 watt solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY pin box with gooseneck coupler

Comment

Originally posted by kengquist View Post

We recently had the same question. We're new to RVing and wanted to be able to use a generator a lot of the time so we're not married to shore power. The research I did was that a 15k btu AC averages 3500w start up, and average running is 1500w. We chose two 2500w champions and parallel them. We don't have soft starts and can run two 15k ACs at the same time easily and still have power for the TV and fridge. We have never tried running just one generator and starting just one AC because the generators only have a 30amp outlet and we need 50amp. I'm assuming it won't work because of the start up watts needed.

I found that all the manufacturers of the generators I researched tell you on their website what the actual running watts are of their generators.
            hmmmm.... unless it's a different champion 2500 than what I've been looking at, they only put out 1,850 watts. That's 3,700 combined?

With that number, one a/c will power on, but depending upon other loads the 2nd should never start. Using your numbers, 3500 starting and 1500 running means you'd need 5,000 watts. In a perfect world your generators can maybe do that with nothing else running for a few moments? In reality, you have a charger, maybe lights and TV and a refrigerator.... so there is likely much more power being drawn than the a/c's.

Also, the champion kit is only a 30amp plug, not 50.

I"m not picking on you, but I've been looking to replace my pair of old Honda 2,000 watt generators with something that would run both a/c's on my new trailer and I just haven't seen one, so I'm sincerely curious about your setup.
            Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
            2021 GD 2670MK
            2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scott.n.Tira View Post

hmmmm.... unless it's a different champion 2500 than what I've been looking at, they only put out 1,850 watts. That's 3,700 combined?

With that number, one a/c will power on, but depending upon other loads the 2nd should never start. Using your numbers, 3500 starting and 1500 running means you'd need 5,000 watts. In a perfect world your generators can maybe do that with nothing else running for a few moments? In reality, you have a charger, maybe lights and TV and a refrigerator.... so there is likely much more power being drawn than the a/c's.

I"m not picking on you, but I've been looking to replace my pair of old Honda 2,000 watt generators with something that would run both a/c's on my new trailer and I just haven't seen one, so I'm sincerely curious about your setup.
              The Champion 2800 has a parallel kit with a 50A plug.

John & Kathy
              2014 Reflection 303RLS
              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

We have a Yamaha 2000watt generator and it ran out old 13.5k btu A/C with ease once we installed an easy start. It didn’t have a chance without one. But, we knew that our old A/C unit had a running wattage of about 1500watts.

I’d love to be able to power this 15k btu A/C unit with the same generator with an easy start. After all, upgrading generators is pricey, can’t they can be heavy.

I’ll climb up on the roof tomorrow evening and see if I can find a sticker that gives the wattage, or even amperage.

I’ll let everyone here know what I find.

thanks again,
                Paul
                Paul & Maja
                2022 Imagine 2800BHS

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post
                  We have a Yamaha 2000watt generator and it ran out old 13.5k btu A/C with ease once we installed an easy start. It didn’t have a chance without one. But, we knew that our old A/C unit had a running wattage of about 1500watts.

I’d love to be able to power this 15k btu A/C unit with the same generator with an easy start. After all, upgrading generators is pricey, can’t they can be heavy.

I’ll climb up on the roof tomorrow evening and see if I can find a sticker that gives the wattage, or even amperage.

I’ll let everyone here know what I find.

thanks again,
                  Paul
                  If all you can find is wattage, see if it has power factor listed as well.

John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Scott.n.Tira View Post

I don't feel picked on. I get your skepticism. But ours must be a different champion than what you're looking at. There are several on the champion website and it took me a bit to weed through them and figure out the differences. Look this one up. Champion Power Equipment 200961 2500-Watt Dual Fuel Portable Inverter Generator, Ultralight

Got one with the parallel kit as a combo order on Amazon. Bought the other identical as a separate item. I'm a pretty crazy researcher and it got great reviews on several blogs for their quality. And they're very quiet and they're VERY LIGHT. Only 39lbs. Which is actually why we opted for the two with parallel (5000 watts) instead of the 4500 that weighs over 100 lbs. I weigh a 120lbs and am not extremely strong, but I can carry these, one in each hand, and move them at the same time. I'd never be able to carry that 4500 or move it in and out of the truck or battery compartment. My husband even looked at me with dread when I was considering the 4500. He didn't want to have to haul that thing in and out of the truck either. There were a lot of comments in the reviews I read from people who have had both the Honda, which as been pretty much the gold standard, and the Champion. A lot of die hard Honda owners have bought Champions because of the significant cost savings and are very happy with the Champion.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1?ie=UTF8&th=1

Also, reference the 30amp vs 50 amp plug, the parallel kit we use to combine them has the 50amp plug. Interestingly the parallel kit says it's for 2800 watt and larger. I called champion and asked if they have one compatible with the 2500 and they said the one we have is actually what we should use. Odd, I know. I also asked if there would be any degradation in wattage/power with the parallel. They told me to keep them no farther than 18 inches apart and would have no issues with degradation. With the parallel kit I don't know how you'd move them that far apart anyway.

We tried them out this past weekend and they ran both ACs and we still had enough power to use other things we'd normally use like lights, plugged in electronics, residential fridge and USBs. When we turn on the second AC you get the obvious increase in load for a short moment, and hear it in the generators, and then everything rolls down and runs smoothly. The only time they tripped was when my daughter tried to use the microwave when they were running. She's 10 and had no idea that wouldn't be possible.

So if you're looking for an alternative to your Honda to run your ACs I'd definitely suggest you check these out. Of course do your own research. I don't know what else to tell you to make you a believer. Maybe I can post a video, lol.
                    2017 F350 SRW long bed
                    2022 Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R
                    300 watt solar; 2 x 100ah BB batteries; GenY pin box with gooseneck coupler

Comment

I am able to run the 15K BTU Dometic a/c unit over the living room with my Honda 2000 generator with a Micro-Aire Easy Start unit. The generator is running hard, but it is capable of running the a/c unit. I have read reports where some of the other brands of 2000 watt generators are not able to run the a/c units but my Honda has been able to do it, so far. I did not turn off the stock battery charger and ran the fridge on LP gas when running the a/c unit. Now that I have switched to lithium batteries and a Victron MultiPlus II inverter/charger, we will see what happens.

Bill
                      2017 Reflection 303RLS
                      2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD w/ 6.6L Duramax

Comment

I did some more research and these wattages meet with my earlier anecdotal observations: https://www.ramsond.com/wattage-chart/

This also seems to match Bill’s experience.

I’m not sure how I’ll handle this yet, but I’ll likely go with the e easy start option.

3000 watt generators are very heavy, and my Yamaha 2000 is 9yrs old now so I may not be able to find a generator that will parallel with it.

thanks for the discussion and good advice everyone

paul
                        Paul & Maja
                        2022 Imagine 2800BHS

Comment

This may or may not help you...

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH
                          2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

The sticker in my 15000 BTU Dometic says 20 amps minimum (2400 watts), and 70 amps startup (8400 watts) (the LRA value). My Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000 watts surge and 1650 watts continuous. I'd be afraid to run it at the ragged edge for sustained periods. It powers the camper fine as long as the AC isn't on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_12684.jpeg
Views:	1123
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	84083
                            2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                            2020 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with rear air shocks

Comment

Originally posted by WanderBard View Post
                              The sticker in my 15000 BTU Dometic says 20 amps minimum (2400 watts), and 70 amps startup (8400 watts) (the LRA value). My Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000 watts surge and 1650 watts continuous. I'd be afraid to run it at the ragged edge for sustained periods. It powers the camper fine as long as the AC isn't on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_12684.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	84083
                              Isn't that minimum 20A rating pointing to the minimum circuit protection (aka "circuit breaker") required? The RLA is 13.2 amps with an additional fan rating of 3.3 amps. Remember that the compressor's RLA requirement goes up and down with temperature.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X