15000BTU AC w 2000 watt generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WanderBard View Post
    The sticker in my 15000 BTU Dometic says 20 amps minimum (2400 watts), and 70 amps startup (8400 watts) (the LRA value). My Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000 watts surge and 1650 watts continuous. I'd be afraid to run it at the ragged edge for sustained periods. It powers the camper fine as long as the AC isn't on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_12684.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	148.7 KB ID:	84083
    I’m not sure the LRA rating means startup current. I mean our campers only have 50A power as do pedestals at campgrounds. In that case the AC wouldn’t ever start.

Paul & Maja
    2022 Imagine 2800BHS
    2019 F-250 6.7 Powerstroke

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post
      We have a Yamaha 2000watt generator and it ran out old 13.5k btu A/C with ease once we installed an easy start. It didn’t have a chance without one. But, we knew that our old A/C unit had a running wattage of about 1500watts.

I’d love to be able to power this 15k btu A/C unit with the same generator with an easy start. After all, upgrading generators is pricey, can’t they can be heavy.

I’ll climb up on the roof tomorrow evening and see if I can find a sticker that gives the wattage, or even amperage.

I’ll let everyone here know what I find.

thanks again,
      Paul
      The 15K Colman A/C unit on my trailer pulls about 12-13amps running based on the Power Control System display. That is with the converter breaker off and no other AC loads.
      Dan M.
      2022 Momentum 23G
      2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by glennco View Post

I’m not sure the LRA rating means startup current. I mean our campers only have 50A power as do pedestals at campgrounds. In that case the AC wouldn’t ever start.
        LRA does indeed mean "Locked Rotor Amps". This is the highest instantaneous current drawn by the compressor during start-up. This is a rating, so reality may be slightly different due to a number of factors.

To see this yourself, go to about the 12 minute mark in MicroAir's video. The high current only lasts a very short time.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
        X