Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to get an Easystart Soft Start installed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to get an Easystart Soft Start installed?

After re-reading Howard's howson excellent thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts I got the big ladder out and headed for the roof.......I did not get there.

Me thinks its time to call in a mobile RV repair expert to do this, but what kind of cost range is fair? Durango now has several folks, where several years ago there was just 1 and he retired.

I assume at a minimum I want an RVSA certified, but does that guarantee they know what they are doing?
    Are there any specific questions I should ask when evaluation someone new? I know I want to ask if they have installed them before.
    Are there other certifications I should look for?
    What is a reasonable ball park cost and amount of time to install?

Thanks for any guidance on this.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Hard to give you a solid reliable time. I installed my own but dawdled around with things like figuring how to remove the A/C cover without damage etc. But if it just came down to mounting the electronics and making the connections (4)...a half hour? Then there is the learning curve for the electronics where you cycle your A/C four times for it to learn how best to handle the starting current. Which will take you another half hour or so. (You don't want to restart the A/C immediately after shut down). I waited about 10 minutes between each cycle. And you will want him to stay through the testing to make sure it works so with breaking out tools, do the connections, testing, putting stuff away...2 hours? Plus travel?

Pull it up to Thunder Bay with that shiny new truck and I'll install it for free. Might cost you a couple grand in fuel to get here though....
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 05-16-2022, 12:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Pull it up to Thunder Bay with that shiny new truck and I'll install it for free. Might cost you a couple grand in fuel to get here though....

Looks like a great place - maybe someday.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        I assume at a minimum I want an RVSA certified, but does that guarantee they know what they are doing?
        Unfortunately the answer is "no". At least in my class, most had never even used a multimeter before attending the school.

Me thinks its time to call in a mobile RV repair expert to do this, but what kind of cost range is fair? Durango now has several folks, where several years ago there was just 1 and he retired.
        Sending you a PM.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Yoda I agree, they should be able to do the install in a half hour (assuming they have ever had the cover off an AC unit), I would think the max bill should be two hours for full "programming" and testing. Honestly its not even very RV specific, if you have a buddy thats at all handy you could get it done telling him what to do from the ground (I have a similar ladder aversion). Failing that, Chicago is at least a bit closer than Thunder Bay lol...
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yoda Keith, are you anywhere near Grand Junction? Last year while travelling thru, we had a second issue with one of our Schwintek motors, and had a really sharp mobile guy out who actually fixed our issue. Luaro Quality Mobile RV service. I'm sorry but his phone number was not on his handwritten invoice (which GD took care of). We were staying at the park next to the fairgrounds. And FWIW, I chicken out before reaching the roof also, anything past Killroy position.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
              Yoda Keith, are you anywhere near Grand Junction? Last year while travelling thru, we had a second issue with one of our Schwintek motors, and had a really sharp mobile guy out who actually fixed our issue. Luaro Quality Mobile RV service. I'm sorry but his phone number was not on his handwritten invoice (which GD took care of). We were staying at the park next to the fairgrounds. And FWIW, I chicken out before reaching the roof also, anything past Killroy position.
              I am 4 to 6 hours away/ Howard is reaching out to some of his connections. Thanks for the kind help. One way or another Ill get this done. I have several choices here and from across the border in NM. Most are closed Monday so tomorrow I will be making a few calls. What compounds the problem is the high winds we have been getting.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Keith

Comment

Keith, Maybe consider a local HVAC guy; they have ladders and know their way around AC units. The trickiest part, for regular folks like myself, is figuring out which wire does what function. HVAC guys know this stuff. Once it powers up, first time, I would cut him loose and spend my time teaching unit; no need for him after it starts first time. As these guys are always visiting work locations, you could even meet them someplace if it cut cost.

HTH, Tom

After re-reading Howard's howson excellent thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts I got the big ladder out and headed for the roof.......I did not get there.

Are there any specific questions I should ask when evaluation someone new? I know I want to ask if they have installed them before.
                Are there other certifications I should look for?
                What is a reasonable ball park cost and amount of time to install?

Thanks for any guidance on this.
                Keith
                2022 GD 2970RL (Built Dec 2021, Deliver March 2022)
                2019 F350 Platinum, Shorter bed, Diesel, SRW, 3.55 rear
                2017 GD 2600rb (Private sale May 2022)
                2016 F150 Platinum (traded in for F350 fall 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by wudwork View Post
                  Keith, Maybe consider a local HVAC guy; they have ladders and know their way around AC units. The trickiest part, for regular folks like myself, is figuring out which wire does what function. HVAC guys know this stuff. Once it powers up, first time, I would cut him loose and spend my time teaching unit; no need for him after it starts first time. As these guys are always visiting work locations, you could even meet them someplace if it cut cost.

HTH, Tom

Well the local recommend certified RV mobile repair said he had never done one, but said it should not take more than and hour ($100) plus his $40 trip fee. I have the step by step instructions from thier web page printed out. I got thinking if I get a neighborhood kid to help at $20 an hour - say $40 total I have that safety margin that I could live with. That's how i did the solar panel install. Also if I have the scaffolding up I can do the fridge fans too.

Keith

Comment

I realize the height thing but this is a very easy install that I am sure you can do, I even did it and was a little nervous making sure I got the correct wire color.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yoda, I read that soft start if you make an appointment with one of their techs they will get you on with them via zoom or FaceTime on the phone. They will talk you through the entire install until you finish. Have to provide specs on your AC so they can have schematics their to guide you. I understand you don’t do the roof and I don’t either I have vertigo. But know someone handy that with that kind of help will install for me.

But the more interesting is a product they have that does not get wired into AC works from pedestal or generator. SoftStartUP its about $600.

https://www.softstartrv.com/
                      Last edited by Beachcamper; 05-20-2022, 07:50 AM.
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Yoda I just installed the Micro-Air Easystart. From the time i went up the ladder to the time it was completely installed (with programming) was 53 minutes. The actual install takes less than 20 minutes (half of it messing with the shroud, cleaning out hornets nests, removing access panel)....if you've done it before 10 minutes. The programming is about 30-60 minutes if you do the recommended 30 seconds on, 5 minutes off at least 5 times.

I ordered it with Micro-Airs install kit which comes with wago connectors, alcohol wipe pads, 2 sided mounting tape, zip ties, extra wire if needed. The only tools I needed was my cordless drill (to remove shroud and access panel), wire cutter and wire stripper.

Very easy and straight forward.
                        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                        X