Coleman Mach A/C filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman Mach A/C filter

While doing a deep cleaning in preparation for a long trip, I serviced the A/C filters in our Solitude. I have done this before, but this time I noticed how much of the filter media is blocked by the internal plenum. It almost seems as though the ceiling intake cover is a mismatch for the A/C unit. Almost all of the lint that was present on the filter was all at one end of the filters, which run perpendicular to the return plenum. I have had other Coleman units in other RVs that had a different style ceiling cover, which only had one filter pad, but it was oriented correctly. Seeking feedback.
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
    While doing a deep cleaning in preparation for a long trip, I serviced the A/C filters in our Solitude. I have done this before, but this time I noticed how much of the filter media is blocked by the internal plenum. It almost seems as though the ceiling intake cover is a mismatch for the A/C unit. Almost all of the lint that was present on the filter was all at one end of the filters, which run perpendicular to the return plenum. I have had other Coleman units in other RVs that had a different style ceiling cover, which only had one filter pad, but it was oriented correctly. Seeking feedback.

I can tell you that's exactly how mine is. I just pulled it down and checked.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Dave, Their are multiple threads and many videos of the RV Airflow system. Changing Lanes ( Chad and Tara) did an in depth video of the change and how it works. That change includes removing that flat panel and unchoking the A/C intake.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
        Dave, Their are multiple threads and many videos of the RV Airflow system. Changing Lanes ( Chad and Tara) did an in depth video of the change and how it works. That change includes removing that flat panel and unchoking the A/C intake.
        I'm a firm believer in it. 75* interior temp with 119* exterior temp. What more can you ask for from an RV setup?
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

We have 3 units; only the main one has the RV airflow wedge as built. What is interesting, considering all the hype GD has in their brochure about the racetrack ducting system they use, is that their isn't much flow from room to room through the ductwork. Had the dealer check; I don't think they understood the concern. We just came to the conclusion that adding the third unit somehow defeats the intended racetrack functionality. The system does perform well, and recovers the temperature quickly, with similar results to Curtis. Just would be nice on a summer evening to run the main unit at night and have (quiet) airflow in the bedroom. (We don't use the air dumps in the ceiling units) I do think I saw Chad's video a while back. Maybe I'll take another look. Can all three units have the RV airflow system? Was thinking there was a reason GD didn't build it that way. Also, we added the Wacko silencer to the main unit; has a much more effective filter, didn't change the flow volume, and did lower the noise of the fan. That is when we discovered the RV airflow wedge in that unit.
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584

Comment

DarnDave -- check out https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

If you make it all the way to post 37 you'll see I removed the second RV Airflow in the bedroom and that's the configuration I continue to use today. The bedroom A/C is effectively isolated and is only used in dump mode as it is no longer connected to the racetrack.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

DarnDave The was some talk about this a couple years ago when they first started using them. As I recall a few people who put them in multiple units actually noticed a loss in airflow:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                DarnDave The was some talk about this a couple years ago when they first started using them. As I recall a few people who put them in multiple units actually noticed a loss in airflow:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts
                It depends on the model of the trailer.

The racetrack used in the Momentums and Solitudes will benefit from all the units having the airflow.
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

It depends on the model of the trailer.

The racetrack used in the Momentums and Solitudes will benefit from all the units having the airflow.
                  I may try that (2 baffles) later. I am working towards modding the kitchen (rear) A/C but for now can't do the front. Our Solitude is pointed due south and the nose gets sun except at sunrise and sunset and since I sleep days the front A/C is used almost all year. I can only use the front dump as the cold air from the back dump blows directly on the thermostat ending up with a 34-45 seconds on and 2-3 minutes off cycle. IMHO, the term "racetrack" system is a misnomer and something similar to "dual track" would be more appropriate. With the current term I visualize the air at each exit turning in one direction and flowing around in a circle with a higher pressure moving in one direction creating a lower pressure behind it and sucking the air from behind it forward (drafting, so to speak).
                  Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                  Nash County, NC
                  2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post

I may try that (2 baffles) later. I am working towards modding the kitchen (rear) A/C but for now can't do the front. Our Solitude is pointed due south and the nose gets sun except at sunrise and sunset and since I sleep days the front A/C is used almost all year. I can only use the front dump as the cold air from the back dump blows directly on the thermostat ending up with a 34-45 seconds on and 2-3 minutes off cycle. IMHO, the term "racetrack" system is a misnomer and something similar to "dual track" would be more appropriate. With the current term I visualize the air at each exit turning in one direction and flowing around in a circle with a higher pressure moving in one direction creating a lower pressure behind it and sucking the air from behind it forward (drafting, so to speak).
                    The Solitudes and Momentums use a "racetrack" style because each unit, pushes air the the directions of the flow, so when it gets to the end, it loops and head the other direction on the other side, and when it passes the unit, more air is added.

Reflections, the a/c's are on the end, therefore, it pushes the air the same direction on both sides.

You'll have to look closely to see the arrows for flow direction for a Momentum:

2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

We just recently installed the RV Airflow in our other 2 units. So far we are pleased with the results. We can actually cool the garage with the bedroom a/c unit. Of coarse we haven’t hit full summer heat yet. But it definitely helped our airflow.
                      2022 Momentum 397THS-R 12/3/2021
                      Traded 2021 Reflection 337
                      2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
                      Formerly M&K337

Comment

howson , thanks for the link. I guess what I was seeing is called the air shower plate. From the looks of my dirty filters, it seemed as though it was blocking return air. But from reading those previous posts, it seems to quiet the unit, and just forcing the return air to one end of the filters. Not visualizing the "shower" part of the name, unless it is reflecting airflow or dispersing its direction into the ducts. Probably wouldn't hurt to take it down and see if any gaps need sealed off.

Comment

Working...
                        X