Furrion Air Conditioner slowing air flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Air Conditioner slowing air flow

Didn't think we would be using the AC much because we mostly boondock. However, we ended up in a few hot spots during a month-long tour of the Southwest and stopped at some parks. The AC worked great each time for 20-30 minutes, then the flow became noticeably slower. This has happened to me in a previous house I owned, and the problem was the coils freezing up and blocking the flow. I tried to look for evidence of freezing but didn't notice any build up (I did not remove the cover). Anything else I could check before taking it in for service?
    2022 Transcend XPlor 240ML

If you can run the AC on low fan instead of auto mode, this will help if the coils are freezing due to high heat and humidity. The fan will run continuously but the compressor will cycle on and off when needed. Also depending on the Furrion unit the temp sensor might be located up inside the intake. If you remove the inside cover you should be able to carefully pull the temp sensor down and let it hang out of the cover on the intake, this will allow the sensor to get a better temperature reading of the inside of the RV. Newer models will have a different temp sensor location and there is a fix from GD for units that have the temp sensor inside the intake plenum.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You might want to lower the cover and see if there is a coil temp sensor besides the air temp sensor. I found the coil sensor on the rear Coleman in our camper hanging free of the coils.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Remove the cover and check. When mine froze up, it behaved exactly as you described. It would slow down and not cool any longer. This was in dry AZ air. I just camped for a week in central and coastal CA and didn't have any freezing. I didn't run my fan on Auto. Seems these Furrions don't like Auto.
        2022 Imagine 2600RB
        2016 Sierra Denali 1500

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. uwskier - the first stop we used the AC was Lake Havasu, so like you, hot, dry conditions. Next time out, I'll try it without using auto. I need a 30 amp plug at the house to test these things! Jlawles2, I saw the coil temp sensor while I was adding the remote temp sensor sent to me by Grand Design. It fell out of position in the process. I put it back up near the coils, any idea the correct location for the coil sensor?
          2022 Transcend XPlor 240ML

Comment

IIRC it should be in the lower section of the coil as the moister builds at the bottom on it's way to the tray. Also water running down the coils gets colder as it gets lower in the coils. There is always the possibility of water freezing anytime it's on the coils.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X