A/C coming out everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C coming out everywhere

Just purchased a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 240RL. One of the puck lights were flickering, so I went about replacing it. Strangely when I pulled the light down, quite a lot of cold A/C air came shooting out. To check, I took down a couple more and even a speaker, guess what, all of them have cold air coming out. Correct me is I am wrong but shouldn't the A/C be a closed system? Also I noticed that the insulation didn't fill in the space and could see the wood above the ceiling, I thought this was supposed to be R40. What should I do?
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 240RL
    2006 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Super Duty 6.0 diesel 4X4

Originally posted by MacGumbo View Post
    Just purchased a used 2020 Grand Design Reflection 240RL. One of the puck lights were flickering, so I went about replacing it. Strangely when I pulled the light down, quite a lot of cold A/C air came shooting out. To check, I took down a couple more and even a speaker, guess what, all of them have cold air coming out. Correct me is I am wrong but shouldn't the A/C be a closed system? Also I noticed that the insulation didn't fill in the space and could see the wood above the ceiling, I thought this was supposed to be R40. What should I do?
    Check the ceiling vents to see if they are properly sealed into the duct work. There is a thread here to explain how to remove them. If that does not work you may need to drop the ceiling panels. Also you may remove the cover off the A/C, the one inside on the ceiling, and check to see if that is all sealed properly, I would try this first.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I agree with Howard. Check to make sure all vents are sealed properly.

There should be insulation in the roof cavity.

The last resort should be dropping the ceiling because you really can't drop the ceiling if it was fabricated like our trailer. after installing the walls, the ceiling panels are placed from outside of wall to outside of wall. Then the trusses are placed on the ceiling panels. This pinches the ceiling panels between the trusses and exterior walls. To drop the panels, you have to cut the ceiling panels along the wall line. If it's not a clean cut you'll want to add some extra "crown moulding" to make it pretty when you re-install the panel. If you can identify and solve he issue without dropping the ceiling, you are much better off.
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

This sounds like it's likely a pretty simple problem and solution. I'd take off the interior A/C cover and examine the discharge side. If there are any openings to the attic area, seal them up with tape.

I know I have a different brand of A/C than you, but the circled area indicates the discharge side of mine, and yours should be similar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	discharge side.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	91432

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will use your suggestions to find the problem and fix it. It appears that the discharge holes are correct even though we have different models. I also plan on putting a cabled pinhole camera down the ducts to make sure they aren't torn or damaged.

BTW: Does anyone know if the front A/C can be ducted into the A/C system as well or is it just a stand alone?

Thanks again.

Donald

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I will use your suggestions to find the problem and fix it. It appears that the discharge holes are correct even though we have different models. I also plan on putting a cabled pinhole camera down the ducts to make sure they aren't torn or damaged.

BTW: Does anyone know if the front A/C can be ducted into the A/C system as well or is it just a stand alone?

Thanks again.

Donald
            If it is prepped for a second AC it is ducted as well. They are all tied together so you can run both, or either one and they cool the whole rig.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

If it is prepped for a second AC it is ducted as well. They are all tied together so you can run both, or either one and they cool the whole rig.
              Nice to know but I don't think the installer did it that way. When I run the bedroom A/C, it just dumps down and out the sides. I'll have to pull it off and check it.

Comment

Nice to know but I don't think the installer did it that way. When I run the bedroom A/C, it just dumps down and out the sides. I'll have to pull it off and check it.
                It's designed to be installed with a wall thermostat and then dunno valves to either dump the bottom or into the ductwork. That said people (or dealers can install whatever they want). It's possible you just need a new ceiling cover, when I did mine that's what determined where the air went.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X