Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding 2nd AC - Need Help

Hello!

I have a 2020 Reflection 268BH, 50 amp service, wired for a 2nd AC in the bedroom.

I need to figure out what unit to order to add a 2nd AC unit - preferably a low profile one. I have read around and decided to not go with a ducted unit. The main unit is a 15k coleman with a RV Airflow installed.

I called GD and they gave me part numbers but I can't seem to find those online anywhere - my local dealer is not useful - I drove to another state to buy our trailer...

I will have another dealer install the unit - just need part numbers and places to order. Non-ducted but with the wall thermostat.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
    Hello!

I have a 2020 Reflection 268BH, 50 amp service, wired for a 2nd AC in the bedroom.

I need to figure out what unit to order to add a 2nd AC unit - preferably a low profile one. I have read around and decided to not go with a ducted unit. The main unit is a 15k coleman with a RV Airflow installed.

I called GD and they gave me part numbers but I can't seem to find those online anywhere - my local dealer is not useful - I drove to another state to buy our trailer...

I will have another dealer install the unit - just need part numbers and places to order. Non-ducted but with the wall thermostat.

Thanks in advance!
    I have a similar year unit and did my own install. I checked with Coleman to get the right part numbers. I'll find my thread and link it in a minute,but I'd suggest you go with the ducted. It's not much more money and that way you can run either unit to cool the whole rig if you don't need both for noise.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

RacerX I'd suggest you verify these numbers but this is what I ordered. I went with a heat pump (which I love highly recommend), the electric backup heat (less useful but still nice and was cheap), and ducted. I bought from rvupgradestore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F11CBA3D-79A3-4EB8-BCB2-74A99311FAB4.jpeg
Views:	587
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	92194
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the info! I think the 15k unit may be too much for a 50amp service if wee are running both plus the fridge? Also - is the unit you listed a low profile unit? I would like to try and keep the height increase to a minimum.

Re: the ducted - i had heard on this forum that running 2 ducted units will work against themselves - that is why I wanted a non-ducted unit. What has your experience been while running both units at the same time?

Thanks

Comment

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the info! I think the 15k unit may be too much for a 50amp service if wee are running both plus the fridge? Also - is the unit you listed a low profile unit? I would like to try and keep the height increase to a minimum.

Re: the ducted - i had heard on this forum that running 2 ducted units will work against themselves - that is why I wanted a non-ducted unit. What has your experience been while running both units at the same time?

Thanks
          50 amp service is as big as it gets for a RV. Its actually 2 50 amp legs (100 amps). with 2 AC's you would put one on each leg. Our Solitude has 3 AC's on a 50 amp service.
          Jim & Heidi
          2021 Solitude 375RES-r
          2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Hey Neil,

Thanks
            No there is no problem with two 15k units. I did it that way so if one died I would still have one unit as big as what came from the factory. As Jim stated, 50A is 12,000 watts, plenty to run two AC units, the fridge, microwave and whatever else you throw at it. No issue with dual ducted either, thats how the solitudes and momentums come from the factory. I love being able to run just the bedroom during the day and living room at night for noise when we only need one.

Neil Citro

Comment

I just did this same install this week. 15K low profile in bedroom. I have the RV airflow mod on our rear (main) unit. I opened the ducts to the bedroom unit so the two units can work together but, I don't want a air flow block in the front one because we want the "dump" grill to be open and adding additional A/C to the bedroom. Note, don't open the dump grill facing the wall with the thermostat, that will cause short-cycling.
              I used Styrofoam blocking to seal up the exposed trusses and attic spaces, then wrapped everything in foil tape. Everything works awesome.

Comment

Hey Dan,

Can you share the model numbers you used for everything? Do you also have a 268bh? Why did you need to use styrofoam to fill the spaces? The unit should drop in and seal those up? I like the idea of getting a low profile unit to save some inches on height.

Comment

Sorry for not seeing your question sooner! I removed the bedroom vent assembly and the white plastic liner around the opening. I could then see the A/C ducts (taped closed). But i could also see right into the attic area and large holes in the trusses. I did not want to just tape over the holes and have the attic heat bleeding into the plenum area. I cut pieces of 1" dow board (rigid foam) and glued them in all the gaps with some silicone caulk. Put caulk in hole first and slide the foam plugs in so no silicone is exposed, (no silicone where the aluminum tape has to stick). Route the harnesses through one foam block. I mounted the A/C unit (after much pains taking work removing caulk) Then sealed up all plenum sides and duct connections with the foil tape.
                  The RV (337RLS) was pre-wired and the plug harness and thermostat harness hooked up as shown in the diagrams (one in the A/C unit and one that came with the t-stat) NOTE! This system does not use a transformer as a home furnace/ac does. There is a 12v wire in the attic that supplies power to the controls. The other end ot the t-stat wire is in the wall above the wall light switch. Hope this helps.

Blessings,
                  Dan

Comment

I almost feel guilty telling folks about this story but in honor of GD's customer service, I must.

I looked/ waited almost 2 years to find a Coleman Mach 8 A/C unit. Airexcel stopped making them during COVID. While traveling to Shipshewana, I decided to stop at GD head quarters and ask them if it was possible to buy a Mach8 from them. The sweet gal at the counter heard my dilemma and called upstairs for help. Well, down the stairs came Don Clark (president). He happily listened to my story and brought Deb and I upstairs to meet all the staff. What a great bunch of people! Don made sure we left town with a new A/C unit!

The nice gal at the desk- Don's daughter. :-)

Thanks again Grand Design!

A customer for life,
                    Dan

Comment

Two ducted units don’t work against each other. Both fans pressureize the ducts and it comes out the ducts faster with two units. The huge advantage of ducted units is that you can run the unit in the other room so you still get cool but avoid the noise while sleeping or watching TV.
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Jkwilson -- might be a bit O/T, but two units can "fight" depending on how the "racetrack" is designed AND if RV Airflow devices are installed. I confirmed with an RV Airflow rep (at the National Rally) that my experience with a overheated bedroom a/c (that had an RV Airflow in addition to the living room a/c) was not unique. Note that a Reflection's "racetrack" is different from a Solitude or Momentum. I removed the bedroom a/c's RV Airflow and isolated it from the racetrack (only use the dump feature).

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                        X