Coleman A/C performance expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman A/C performance expectations

Had our first opportunity to test the two air-conditioners and I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

We arrived at our RV park with outside temp about 90 degrees and cloudy (no direct sunlight on the trailer.)

I started both AC units when interior temp (per OEM controller) was 85 degrees.The bedroom ac quickly got temp down to 75, according to OEM thermostat.
    The Living room AC brought temp down to 80 fairly quickly, but then continued to run without bringing the temp down any further - for probably 3 hours or more.

I had the Thermostat set for cool/auto and 75 degrees.

Air coming out of the ceiling vents was definitely colder than outside air.

Is it reasonable for the main room to take 3-4 hours to get below 80 degrees when starting from 85 interior temp? Admittedly all the trailer material was "hot" and I'd imagine it takes more time to cool the mass of the trailer than just cooling the air.

Outside temps dropped there next day so there hasn't been another chance to test. But I was thinking "if it struggles at 90 degrees I'd hate to see outside temps of 100+!!"
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Mike, I can attest that the front cools faster in our 5er. Note that to get the best cooling ensure the front dumps are closed and set the unit to HI or Low fan vs Auto. This forces the front unit to pull air in and move it around the camper. Our front area will continue to drop in temp after the unit reaches set temp, hence the reason for this. Also ensure that you do not open the dump that throws air onto the thermostat as it will create a false reading.

One other thing I do is set the front AC about 2 degrees cooler than the rear. This forces the front AC to help the rear more. Where possible close a racetrack vent to help force more air into the other areas.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Mike, one other thing to check; Is the bedroom A/C unit cooling only the bedroom? Its possible that the ducts were left closed (taped over) when the A/C was installed. Run the rear unit with the bedroom A/C turned off, then see if some discharge air is coming out the Bedroom A/C plenum (not the ceiling registers) with the "dump vents" open. If there is no air coming out, the bedroom A/C was installed as a "stand alone" unit. This can be corrected easily.

I assume there is no "RV AIRFLOW" foam block in the bedroom because you stated that the bedroom cooled down quickly. You really don't need one in the bedroom.
      Last edited by Dan Kooienga; 09-14-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X