2016 369RL Furnace Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 369RL Furnace Issue

I just purchased a 2016 369RL Solitude. Everything checked out and worked fine at the dealer. Now in freezings weather and the heater will not work as it should. I turn the heater on, It will cycle one time and will not come on till I cycle the thermostat again. Anyone know what I need to check? Thank you in advance

Welcome to the forum!

The most likely cause of this issue is the high limit switch activating while the furnace is running. This will cause the furnace to not cycle the next time until the thermostat is shut off. There are two likely culprits for this issue.

1. There is a blockage in the vents which is causing excessive heat build up at the furnace. Solution: Find and remedy the blockage such as a collapsed vent.
    2. The furnace circuit card is malfunctioning. I'd recommend a Dinosaur brand circuit card as a replacement.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by theneonwizard View Post
      I just purchased a 2016 369RL Solitude. Everything checked out and worked fine at the dealer. Now in freezings weather and the heater will not work as it should. I turn the heater on, It will cycle one time and will not come on till I cycle the thermostat again. Anyone know what I need to check? Thank you in advance
      Not sure if this is an exact representation of your furnace, but based on TucsonJim 's post above below (see highlighted part) is where you will probably find that control board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blowup.JPG
Views:	1233
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	9386
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for your help. I was trying to work on it last night. I had all the ducts off last night and had Diane turn on the thermostat. The furnace came on and heated up but only ran about 5 minutes, cooled down and shut off. I found paperwork showing a module board adapter kit #521099 dated February 05 2018. Maybe I need to replace that part. Thank everyone again.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I was trying to work on it last night. I had all the ducts off last night and had Diane turn on the thermostat. The furnace came on and heated up but only ran about 5 minutes, cooled down and shut off. I found paperwork showing a module board adapter kit #521099 dated February 05 2018. Maybe I need to replace that part. Thank everyone again.
          According to an article I read at https://www.crowsurvival.com/rv-furn...oubleshooting/ the sequence of events for the furnace is:
          1. The thermostat triggers a request for heat, sending a current to the RV furnace.
          2. The current powers the time delay relay which in turn passed power to the RV furnace blower.
          3. The blower spins up and pulls air from the Air Return creating a flow of air through the heat exchanger and out of the ducts. Another fan pulls air into the combustion chamber to feed the furnace.
          4. As the blower speed increased the fan air causes the sail switch to close.
          5. Power then flows through the High Limit Switch and onwards to the Control Circuit Board.
          6. As power is delivered to the control board it opens the gas supply and causes the DSI igniter to spark.
          7. The gas lights and creates heat within the combustion chamber.
          8. Heat will pass into the heat exchanger, heating the air passing through the Ducts.
          9. As the RV begins to warm up, the Thermostat will reach its preconfigured temperature.
          10. Once the correct temperature is reached power is removed the burner will shut down.
          11. The fab will continue to run in order to cool the furnace safely until the time delay switch opens.

From your description of the problem it reads like everything is working OK, but the furnace is getting a signal from the thermostat that it's reached its operating temperature. Another possibility is the High Limit Switch, as it will shut down the unit if it thinks its too hot.

High Limit Switch: The high limit switch controls excess heat from damaging the heat exchanger. If the temperatures get too high the switch will cut power and avoid damage that could be caused. Damage to the heat exchanger can cause deadly gases to enter the ducts, so this is a very important safety device.

The closest I found on the list of common issues is this one: RV Furnace Stops and Starts

This issue is often caused by the thermostat receiving false readings. Either hot air from the duct is blowing on the thermostat, causing it to think the RV is warmer than it actually is, or cold air is blowing across the thermostat, resulting in a similar issue. If the ducts can be directed, make sure they point away from the thermostat. Also, check for any drafts.

If the issue still persists then it’s likely the thermostat is faulty and should be replaced.

In addition, I found this tidbit in the Suburban RV Furnaces Service Manual:

Heating Cycle
          If during the heating cycle, the limit switch circuit opens and remains open for 5 minutes, the module board will go into lock out and shut down the blower motor. If this occurs, the thermostat will need to be reset for the furnace to operate.

I added the emphasis since this is one of your symptoms.

Please report back when you get it fixed.

-Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

After posting I went to YouTube to watch the latest episode of Changing Lanes and--you won't believe this--Chad talks about his broken furnace! Watch from 4:45 to ~6 minute mark.

Comment

Thank you Howard 🤠 I went over all the information you sent. Seems after doing the reset again the unit is cycling and Now for the moment have “HEAT”😃😃😃 I will update everyone tomorrow after we make it through the night 🤠. Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Well I have heat🤠 thank you for all your help 🤠

Comment

Working...
                X