HVAC Heat Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC Heat Problems

I have a 2020 Solitude 2930rl-r and last night the air flow out of my heat pump became very low and the air was very cold. The gas furnace turned on automatically and it ran at a much lower output temperature as usual. The outside temp only went down to 40 degress. The past few nights it has been in the high 20's. I have made sure the filters are clean. I have cycled the power off then on. I ran Fan Only and the flow seemed a bit less than usual. I am still under my first year warranty and am not near my home dealer.

Well, the heat pump/furnace function seems right. It did what it is supposed to.

The 2 systems are separate though. Heat pump is a 110 system, the furnace is a 12 volt/LP system.

You said the furnace output was less than usual. Verified by a thermometer or IR?

The furnace has no bearing on the heat pump, other than starting when the heat pump can't handle it.
    Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV in Shoemakersville, PA

2020 Reflectiopn 260RD owner towed by a 2011 RAM 3500 with Cummins power.

Comment

Originally posted by Rparg57 View Post
      I have a 2020 Solitude 2930rl-r and last night the air flow out of my heat pump became very low and the air was very cold. The gas furnace turned on automatically and it ran at a much lower output temperature as usual. The outside temp only went down to 40 degress. The past few nights it has been in the high 20's. I have made sure the filters are clean. I have cycled the power off then on. I ran Fan Only and the flow seemed a bit less than usual. I am still under my first year warranty and am not near my home dealer.
      I had a similar problem on my 2019 Solitude 2930RL-R with the heat pump. I contacted Coleman/AIRXCEL and their tech told me that the heat pump won't function properly (put out warm air) when the outside temp is below 42 degrees (if my memory is correct). If below that temp, then the system defaults to the furnace setting which of course requires the propane to be turned on to function properly. In addition, the tech said that the heat pump won't function properly if the thermostat has a setting greater than 4 degrees above the actual interior temperature. Unfortunately, this means that you need to closely monitor your thermostat setting and keep adjusting the temp upwards by no more than the 4 degree differential until you reach your desired temperature. Sounds a bit unusual but mine has functioned properly since following these conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by grand adventurer View Post

I had a similar problem on my 2019 Solitude 2930RL-R with the heat pump. I contacted Coleman/AIRXCEL and their tech told me that the heat pump won't function properly (put out warm air) when the outside temp is below 42 degrees (if my memory is correct). If below that temp, then the system defaults to the furnace setting which of course requires the propane to be turned on to function properly. In addition, the tech said that the heat pump won't function properly if the thermostat has a setting greater than 4 degrees above the actual interior temperature. Unfortunately, this means that you need to closely monitor your thermostat setting and keep adjusting the temp upwards by no more than the 4 degree differential until you reach your desired temperature. Sounds a bit unusual but mine has functioned properly since following these conditions.
        Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, grand adventurer! Always a pleasure to welcome a new member when their first post is something meant to be helpful.

Not a heat pump expert by any means, but I don't remember reading before that the heat pump won't function properly if the thermostat has a setting greater than 4 degrees above the actual interior temperature prior to your post. I'll be curious to see if the other owners here with heat pumps will have an input.

Thanks again for the post and again, welcome!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Does your 2020 Solitude 2930rl-r have the One Control System where you control your HVAC systems on the keypad?

Mark
          2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
          2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
          2020 Momentum 376THS
          We're both proud USAF Retirees...
          Retired RV Tech

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post
            Does your 2020 Solitude 2930rl-r have the One Control System where you control your HVAC systems on the keypad?

Mark
            Rparg57 -- I think Mark is directing his question to you.

Mark--best practice is to "Quote" when responding or to use the tag function so the person gets notified. Use the @ symbol followed by their username, like this: RV Tech Ret

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have the Aircel thermostat that has a setting for Heat-Gas. The technician has taped around the vent ducts where they attach to the furnace. This did not help with the air flow shortage on the long run to the island near the TV. The furnace works fine. Just the ductwork is not efficient in moving the volume of air to the long run duct. covering the other ducts didn't help much.

Comment

Working...
              X