Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furnace register inside the bathroom vanity????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace register inside the bathroom vanity????

I think multiple issues but just curious. During our last trip, we had some low 30s nights and my son was complaining about his deodorant melting in the bathroom vanity when I ran the furnace at night. Coincidentally, we were sweating in the bedroom with the furnace on - 10 degrees hotter in the bedroom. The other night I flipped the furnace on to check heat loss outside and distribution inside. Minimal hot air coming out of the single register in the bedroom and bathroom. I noticed a 30 degree difference in the thermostats and when I put my hand on the bedroom wall, it was hot. So, I opened the vanity door and wow did I get a blast of hot air. Inspection showed the following hole in the wall behind the vanity where the 110V romex is plumbed to feed the GFCI on the vanity. I have no idea what the blue 'romex' is for - it terminates at the GFCI. I can't imagine this is normal heat distribution or hole - looks like someone went wild with a jig saw. So what should this look like? Heat coming out there can't be correct. Directly on the other side of the back wall and up is the bedroom thermostat which read 89 while the main floor was at 57. I could imagine the duct going to the bedroom register disconnected, but I still can't explain what's in the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hole in wall.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	99913
    Last edited by ajg617; 11-19-2022, 08:32 PM.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin

You will have to remove the rear wall in the pass thru storage and get a look at the duct work and see where it goes from the furnace to the bathroom.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      You will have to remove the rear wall in the pass thru storage and get a look at the duct work and see where it goes from the furnace to the bathroom.

Brian
      Understood, but I should have clarified. First, that hole inside the vanity seems absurd and my real questions start with what do other owners have where the GFCI romex is routed through? Second, when we traveled in May and used the furnace, all was good. Same in September. Heat distribution issues started to crop up last trip in late October. There is a metal distribution duct running front to rear from the pass thru back which gets very hot. The distribution duct is getting heat but it is all coming out inside the vanity. The heat register in the bathroom is on the opposite wall behind the toilet. The heat register in the bedroom is directly below the hole inside the vanity, on the other side of the wall. Almost no air flow out of bedroom or bathroom registers or the white register in the pass thru. Pictures of distribution duct below with area roughly outlined in red where the issue is. There is direct access from this distribution duct into the wall between the bathroom and bedroom where the bedroom register is centered. I suspect the interior wall will have to come apart to see why the distribution duct in the pass thru is not blocked off from the interior wall space between bedroom and bathroom.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	ductwork.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	99944 Click image for larger version

Name:	ductwork2.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	99945
      2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar, factory gen, 8K axles with discs, W/D, Heat Pump, Gen 2 Goosebox, Battleborn

Comment

Are you certain the register behind the toilet is not the return air? On both the GD and non GD 5er's the return was behind the toilet.

You may need to pull the false wall or see if you can access the back side of the furnace through the hutch and check to see if one of the lines has become pinched. By chance did you have critter issues? Critters may have gotten into the under belly of the unit and blocked the heat duct that runs in there causing the system to do strange things.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Are you certain the register behind the toilet is not the return air? On both the GD and non GD 5er's the return was behind the toilet.

You may need to pull the false wall or see if you can access the back side of the furnace through the hutch and check to see if one of the lines has become pinched. By chance did you have critter issues? Critters may have gotten into the under belly of the unit and blocked the heat duct that runs in there causing the system to do strange things.
          Pretty sure - it always has put warm air out. Pic below is from GD which seems to confirm it's a heat register. My returns are in the pantry, under the coffee bar, and under the steps. No critter problems. The drawing doesn't match our 310 though - no register under the steps and no register in bedroom behind the shower - that one is near the door.

Name:	heat ducts 310.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	99950

Comment

Took the wall off. No crushed flex ducts. There are four 4" ducts and looks like two 2". The 4" ducts go to the 2 registers on either end of the island, the side of the coffee bar, and the end of the aluminum distribution duct to feed the bedroom. The 2" ducts appear to go to the bathroom and the Nautilus. The aluminum distribution duct in the pictures is between the aluminum joists centered 36" or so from inside wall. It's got a hot air discharge (white round register) into the pass thru. I have no registers anywhere near the shower or wall it butts up against. I did notice that the pressboard under the water heater tank seems to be caving in on top of the furnace reducing the air flow gap.

Name:	furnace ducts.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	99968 Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom heat duct.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	99967

Comment

Could you take a picture down thru the large hole in the cabinet to see if there is anything there resembling the rectangular duct work? There may be a hole in the top of that duct that is allowing hot air to come out of the hole in the cabinet. This is fairly strange, just trying to figure out where the hot air is coming from.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

ajg617 -- I'd fire it up and do an inspection (visual and by feel) for air escaping from the ducts. What looks good now may be quite different with air pressure from the furnace.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  Could you take a picture down thru the large hole in the cabinet to see if there is anything there resembling the rectangular duct work? There may be a hole in the top of that duct that is allowing hot air to come out of the hole in the cabinet. This is fairly strange, just trying to figure out where the hot air is coming from.

Brian
                  Brian, I can try. False wall is only a little over 1" gap - think my phone camera is far from the case edge. I could also disconnect the 4" connection to the bedroom distribution duct and that will probably stop the hot air coming out the hole in the wall. Distribution duct is held in place by welded cross members so I don't want to drop it to see - still under warranty. You are correct - this whole thing is very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    ajg617 -- I'd fire it up and do an inspection (visual and by feel) for air escaping from the ducts. What looks good now may be quite different with air pressure from the furnace.
                    I do get heat throughout the coach - have used the furnace since May. What started me looking around was it seemed to be much colder back by the sofa on that last trip, lower force of warm air coming out of all registers but especially in the main living area, and my son complaining that his stuff was melting in the vanity. When I opened the vanity door, I knew why. If there is a blockage, it's impacting every other register. If there is a leak, doubt I'd get the volume of air out the vanity and the hot wall behind it. Ran the furnace last Friday night. After one hour running in 31F weather, main thermostat is on the left - bedroom thermostat is on the right (and that is in the same false wall as the hole - just on other side of vanity). The bedroom wasn't warm - just the wall which was hot. It's also blowing sawdust out where the wall meets the floor in the bedroom. Directly below the bedroom thermostat near the floor is where the register is - but not much comes out. Could temporarily cover the hole in the vanity wall and see whether the flow of air improves elsewhere.

Name:	main thermostat.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	99976 Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom thermostat.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	99977

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

Brian, I can try. False wall is only a little over 1" gap - think my phone camera is far from the case edge. I could also disconnect the 4" connection to the bedroom distribution duct and that will probably stop the hot air coming out the hole in the wall. Distribution duct is held in place by welded cross members so I don't want to drop it to see - still under warranty. You are correct - this whole thing is very strange.
                      I had the same issue with our 345GK. The vanity cabinet would get extremely hot when the heater ran. The duct for the bedroom is under the right side of the bathroom vanity where it connects to hole in the floor directly above the metal duct you saw below in the storage compartment. I found they had only attached the duct flange with one screw and the hot air was escaping into the vanity cabinet and wall. I screwed the duct flange down and sealed it up with foil tape and wrapped insulation around the flex duct. That solved the issue off of the hot wall and vanity. Here is a picture of the flange connection before I secured and sealed it.
                      Attached Files
                      Dan & Jan
                      2022 Solitude 345 GK
                      2013 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by GoodH20 View Post

I had the same issue with our 345GK. The vanity cabinet would get extremely hot when the heater ran. The duct for the bedroom is under the right side of the bathroom vanity where it connects to hole in the floor directly above the metal duct you saw below in the storage compartment. I found they had only attached the duct flange with one screw and the hot air was escaping into the vanity cabinet and wall. I screwed the duct flange down and sealed it up with foil tape and wrapped insulation around the flex duct. That solved the issue off of the hot wall and vanity. Here is a picture of the flange connection before I secured and sealed it.
                        Thank you, thank you, thank you. I just had a look and noticed the false bottom in the vanity. Looks like just three screws to remove it.

Comment

OK, have to ask. What's the trick to removing the false bottom in the vanity? There are three screws but it looks like the front stringer is stapled and glued to the front face of the vanity.
                          Thanks,
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by ajg617 View Post

OK, have to ask. What's the trick to removing the false bottom in the vanity? There are three screws but it looks like the front stringer is stapled and glued to the front face of the vanity.
                            Thanks,
                            John
                            Unfortunately the bottom does not come out. The Vanity was installed after the duct for the bedroom was installed. I did not want to remove the hole vanity so I cut a hole in the false bottom leaving about a 2” lip around the edges to get access to the duct flange. Then cut a piece of 1/4” plywood to creat a new bottom for that section of the vanity.
                            Dan & Jan
                            2022 Solitude 345 GK
                            2013 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW

Comment

Unfortunately the bottom does not come out. The Vanity was installed after the duct for the bedroom was installed. I did not want to remove the hole vanity so I cut a hole in the false bottom leaving about a 2” lip around the edges to get access to the duct flange. Then cut a piece of 1/4” plywood to creat a new bottom for that section of the vanity.
                              OK. Thanks for letting me know. Now I know why I couldn't just pull the vanity bottom out. It's under warranty but I can't get the dealer to understand that there is even a problem.
                              Last edited by ajg617; 11-26-2022, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X