Wish I could change the grey water plumbing in my Solitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I could change the grey water plumbing in my Solitude

Some of the Solitude models share a distinct disadvantage to the other GD models in that, being a drop frame design, the two grey tanks are at different levels in the frame. In my 384GK, the grey water from the shower and the washer empty into the same grey tank which happens to be the lowest grey tank in the drop frame. Only my kitchen sink drains into the other grey tank. It also happens to be higher in the frame. So, if my shower grey tank gets full, I can't equalize it into the kitchen sink grey tank giving me a little more grey tank capacity. I wish they would think about this when they route the plumbing. If I ever have to drop the coroplast bottom, I may see if rerouting the shower is possible.

Joesmainship why can't you equalize. I understand that the kitchen sink tank is higher than the bathroom tank but unless your shower, bathroom sink and washer drains are lower than your kitchen tank it would still equalize. Only problem that I see is that the upper fixtures may not drain as fast as they normally would but I would think it is worth a try anyway.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
      Joesmainship why can't you equalize. I understand that the kitchen sink tank is higher than the bathroom tank but unless your shower, bathroom sink and washer drains are lower than your kitchen tank it would still equalize. Only problem that I see is that the upper fixtures may not drain as fast as they normally would but I would think it is worth a try anyway.

Rob
      Not sure you quite understand. You would install a gate valve at the dump nozzle and close it. You attempt to equalize by opening both grey water dump valves simultaneously. The tanks attempt to equalize via the dump plumbing. Since your full tank is lower in the frame than the empty kitchen sink tank, water simply can't flow uphill. If a potion of the full tank is higher than the lower portion of the higher empty tank, you actually may get a little water movement, but only until the surface levels of the water in each tank is equal. You don't have that problem in you Reflection because all the tanks are at equal height in the frame.

Comment

Joesmainship I did understand what you are trying to do. If your lowest drain for the bathroom tank is higher than the top of the kitchen tank you will still be able to use the capacity of your kitchen tank. The bathroom tank will remain full but the water that you drain from your bathroom sink for instance will still drain pushing some water into your kitchen tank until the water level in your bathroom drain plumbing is at the same level as the water in your kitchen tank allowing you to use the kitchen sink capacity even though your bathroom tank will still show full. The water in the system will be at the same level just not same in the tanks like my Reflection.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
          Joesmainship I did understand what you are trying to do. If your lowest drain for the bathroom tank is higher than the top of the kitchen tank you will still be able to use the capacity of your kitchen tank. The bathroom tank will remain full but the water that you drain from your bathroom sink for instance will still drain pushing some water into your kitchen tank until the water level in your bathroom drain plumbing is at the same level as the water in your kitchen tank allowing you to use the kitchen sink capacity even though your bathroom tank will still show full. The water in the system will be at the same level just not same in the tanks like my Reflection.

Rob
          I understand what you are saying and that may very well work, but it just sounds like a recipe to fill the underbelly with grey water if the drain line connection is not tight. I just camp as if half my grey water storage is unusable. I always empty the grey tanks before they are completely full.

Comment

Originally posted by Joesmainship View Post

I understand what you are saying and that may very well work, but it just sounds like a recipe to fill the underbelly with grey water if the drain line connection is not tight. I just camp as if half my grey water storage is unusable. I always empty the grey tanks before they are completely full.
            Joesmainship I agree that it is not optimal and if the plumbing is not perfect lots of mess. I wouldn't do it either to take the chance with more problems. Better safe than sorry.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Working...
            X