Removed the shower doors on our 337

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removed the shower doors on our 337

I finally got the ambition to remove the shower doors on our trailer. We talked about it for a year and I finally decided now was the time. I was shocked at how heavy they were. I would estimate they were all of 60 lbs. I left the 3 doors connected and slid the top bar off of them for storage. The side bars were marked top/bottom/front/back before storage (I will never reinstall them)
    It really makes the bathroom seems more spacious. I grew tired of trying to keep the track cleaned out and there was plenty of evidence that water had gotten under the bottom rail despite all the time I spent recaulking the inferior install. I believe the big flaw is the bottom corners where the vertical bars meet the bottom rail. The only sealing material was a ineffective 1/2" wide strip of foam rubber on the underside of the bottom rail, a complete waste of effort. With no real seal at these bottom corners the only way to make these not leak would be to bed them in silicone upon install and that isnt the way they do them.
    I purchased white screw caps in the specialty fastener section of our local Home depot. Those will cover the 6 screws on the vertical that hold the shower to the wall. The other holes from the rails will get small white caps siliconed over the holes. I have a little work to do with the buffer wheel and some compound to get the silicone residue cleaned up but other than that its about done. It has taken about 3 hrs of work to remove GD's sealant and mine from the shower with a combination of scraping with plastic razor blades a heat gun and a half quart of VM&P Naptha.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

I did this as well in our RV, corner shower stall though with the radius doors, and yes they are heavy. Installed a shower curtain and the space in the bathroom is much better.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We are thinking about doing this in our 310GK. I've had to go back and caulk what GD didn't caulk because the bottom track leaked.
      Brandon & Krysten
      2022 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
      2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 DRW, B&W Hitch

Comment

I am still not completely happy with the clean up of the silicone but my fingers were sore from all that cleaning so I put the last of it off for a while so I could rest
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

you might get lucky with a decal remover tool like https://www.amazon.com/Toolly-Car-De...dDbGljaz10cnVl along with something like https://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Pu...s%2C113&sr=8-6
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X