Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaky Aqua-Magic Style II toilet. Is their a better toilet option for a 310GK??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Aqua-Magic Style II toilet. Is their a better toilet option for a 310GK??

In our 2022 310GK-R we are on our third Aqua-Magic Style II toilet. All three toilets had water leaks at the foot controlled water valve. GD instructed me to reach out to my dealer, my dealer instructed me to reach out to Thetford. After talking to Thetford they said they are not aware of any water leaks with the Style II toilets and it must be our fault... I told the CSR that the forums and Youtube is full of water leaks with this toilet design.

I'm open to all opinions so my question for you all is, what is a good high profile replacement toilet that will fit into a 310GK and that wont leak as soon as you apply water to it? My only issue is we will be limited on the clearance from the back of the toilet to the wall.

Thanks,

Brandon
    Last edited by Brandons32; 12-06-2022, 06:48 PM.
    Brandon & Krysten
    2022 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 DRW, B&W Hitch

Brandons32 I have never had an issue with my foot valve, but I have heard good things about the Dometic 320 if you are looking for an alternative.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro I will definitely check out the Dometic 320. This is no lie, we replaced our Style II toilet with the exact same replacement and within a day it was leaking in the same spot at the water valve on the back side of the foot pedal. While at the park over the weekend I ran into a fellow GD Solitude owner and I brought up the water leak issue to the guy and he said his has leaked since 2018.
      Brandon & Krysten

Comment

Brandons32 I became really frustrated with the Thetford toilet. It was very difficult to remove the foot pedal, and when I got it off, there was damage to it from the spring. It looked like it was forced on without the spring in the proper position, or maybe through use the spring wore into the pedal. In any case, I could not reassemble it. I didn't like the design of the snap on pedal, even if I got a new one, I didn't look forward to dealing with it again. I bought a Dometic 310, and I am very please with it so far. The water valve and other components are easy to reach, and I like how it operates better than the Thetford.
        Dave
        2016 Reflection 27RL
        2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
        B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

I agree the the Thetford is not great, in our two previous units we had a Dometic 310 & 320 both worked much better and were much easier to service when we had problems. I have been considering switching but don’t know if the 320 will fit in the same space as the style II.
          Scott & Mikaela
          2022 375 RES
          2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Dave27 Did you have any clearance issues going from the Thetford to the Dometic? In our 310GK Solitude my toilet is about a inch from touching the wall behind it. I worry I will have clearance issue if I upgrade to the Dometic.
            Brandon & Krysten

Comment

So after talking to Thetford for a second time I was told it could be a water pressure issue. The tech said their toilets are designed for 60 PSI and any thing under of over that specification will leak. At the park we were staying at over the weekend our water pressure was averaging around 55-60 PSI and the toilet still leaked. So who knows....
              Dave27 That foot pedal is a pain to remove and put back together... I removed the pedal on ours two times to pull the valve out and apply plumbers grease to it per Thetford's request... Still leaks!
              Brandon & Krysten

Comment

I have found the following info on space requirements for each toilet but am still apprehensive because it looks to be close.

Dometic- See page 5 https://epi.dometic.com/externalasse...ef=-1161108135

Thetford-see page 2 https://olivertraveltrailers.com/wp-...t_42088_06.pdf

I also have about an inch from the wall to my Thetford toilet so if I am reading this right should have a 1/2 if replacing with a Dometic 320.

If you decide to try let me know if it works.

Scott & Mikaela
                2022 375 RES
                2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Brandons32 View Post
                  Dave27 Did you have any clearance issues going from the Thetford to the Dometic? In our 310GK Solitude my toilet is about a inch from touching the wall behind it. I worry I will have clearance issue if I upgrade to the Dometic.
                  The Dometic fits with no problem. I am very glad I changed the toilet. I have had no leaks or problems with the Dometic.
                  2016 Reflection 27RL
                  2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
                  B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

So after taking some measurements of my Thetford Aqua Magic toilet in my 310GK Solitude, I have about 1-3/8" of a inch from the back of the toilet to the wall and I have about 9-5/8" from the mounting flange nuts to the back of the wall so I'm not sure the 320 will fit. I will do more research because I would love to make the 320 fit. See attached pics.
                    Brandon & Krysten

Comment

We are having the same toilet issues in our 2021 310GK and want to know if you learned if the Dometic 320 will fit? If not we were looking at the Dometic 310 with a seat upgrade. Please let us know. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Laura & Rob View Post
                        We are having the same toilet issues in our 2021 310GK and want to know if you learned if the Dometic 320 will fit? If not we were looking at the Dometic 310 with a seat upgrade. Please let us know. Thanks
                        Please take a moment to review the Welcome Letter as it will provide tips on how to best leverage this forum. For example, quoting a post (like I just did) or tagging (like this Brandons32 ) will provide a flag to the intended recipient so they know there's a question waiting for them.

Hopefully Brandons32 will be along soon with an answer to your question.

Howard (moderator)
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We have the exact same year and model Solitude as you and we are having the exact same issue. It is minor for us and doesn't seem to occur every time we use the foot pedal, but it is annoying! We put down a small washcloth to collect the water so it doesn't just rest on the floor. Honestly, makes me feel a little better to know it isn't just us! Please share if you find for sure if the 320 will or won't fit.

Comment

Sorry for the long delay Laura & Rob Mithaar life has been busy since my last post. So I ordered the 320 and it would not fit just like I thought. I even tried moving the toilet flange forward but I still had no room. I returned the unused 320 and ordered a new 310 from online... The 310 arrived damaged so I exchanged it and the 2nd 310 arrived busted to pieces as well. I just gave up for the time being and put my Thetford back in until I have time to find a toilet locally.

So far it's not leaking if I keep the water pressure above 50 PSI. The Thetford tech did say when I called them a while back that their toilets are designed for 60 PSI and any thing under of over that specification will leak. Who knows at this point????
                            Brandon & Krysten

Comment

Hi Brandon & Krysten,

The reason for these leaks on a new RV is often construction debris in the water lines. If you can get the lines flushed out, the leaks should stop. I recall leaks early on with our Thetford, but it has been operating leak free for years now.

The pressure story is nonsense ( in my opinion). Water pressure in an RV has little to do with the park pressure even if you have a pressure regulator on the inlet. Water heating can raise system pressure well above 60 psi. On the low end, we can flush our toilet on the water in our accumulator tank where pressure can run to near zero . . . without creating a leak.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X