No Hot Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Hot Water

On cold nights my hot water freezes. I will have cold water to all taps, but the water line to my on demand water heater freezes. Trying to find where I can insulate to protect this line. I have s RTLS315

Thanks

Originally posted by Mike _B View Post
    On cold nights my hot water freezes. I will have cold water to all taps, but the water line to my on demand water heater freezes. Trying to find where I can insulate to protect this line. I have s RTLS315

Thanks
    Hi Mike,
    I have a 315RLTS, too, but it's an earlier '19 model.

There's one cold water line that feeds the water heater. There's a low point drain associated with this specific line. It's my guess that's the area of trouble.

The thread title may not seem applicable, but the drawing in it may(?) help, so see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lling-the-plug

This thread may help, too: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...4-frozen-pipes

Below is what two of the original six low point drains looked like under my 315RLTS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drains.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	101025

Finally, noted that was your first post so please check out the Welcome Letter!

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You mention that you have an on demand water heater. Until a very recent design change by Furrion, these water heaters are prone to freezing. This information will be included in the water heater information that came with your trailer. It is possible (but relatively complicated) to upgrade an earlier water heater to have the latest freeze protection. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...eater-retrofit or use the search tool in the upper right corner to find other related discussions.

Rob
      Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-11-2022, 09:31 AM.
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Mike,

Welcome to the forum. According to the Furrion water heater owner's manual, your water heater should be winterized if the temperatures are expected to be below 39°F. If you fail to do so, you are risking very expensive damage to your water heater because the mixing valve and other components are subject to rupture. Once ruptured, the components are not available for repair or replacement and the entire water heater will need to be replaced.

Very recently, Furrion redesigned the water heater to cycle heat if the temperatures get near freezing. But since this is a new product, it's unlikely yours has it.

So what can you do now?
        1. Winterize your water heater to protect it.
        2. Add a source of heat to protect it. Some folks have tried heat tape and incandescent light bulbs.
        3. Try to protect the unit by running the gas furnace. Since these are typically near each other, there may be some crossover heating effect.
        4. Search this forum for tips and tricks. One of our members even swapped out the control board with a new version. But this is a complicated solution that may not be for everyone.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

It's not the on demand water heater that freezes, it is the water line that goes to on demand heater. I have removed water line that feeds heater and there's no water.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hi Mike,
            I have a 315RLTS, too, but it's an earlier '19 model.

There's one cold water line that feeds the water heater. There's a low point drain associated with this specific line. It's my guess that's the area of trouble.

The thread title may not seem applicable, but the drawing in it may(?) help, so see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lling-the-plug

This thread may help, too: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...4-frozen-pipes

Below is what two of the original six low point drains looked like under my 315RLTS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	low point drains.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	101025

Finally, noted that was your first post so please check out the Welcome Letter!

Howard
            Thanks I'll try doing something with these pipes

Comment

Some owners have used this Frost King FC1 Outdoor Foam Faucet Cover, To Prevent Freeze (2 Pack) - - Amazon.com​ to cover the low point drains.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
              X