Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd noise from water heater

Hi everyone!
    I have a 2017 Solitude 374th and I have an issue I cannot pinpoint. Occasionally, not every time, when I flush the toilet the hot water hear makes a clanging noise. I also just heard it when my washer started to pull water to fill. I cleaned the water heater about a week ago, no large amounts of sediment, heating element is fine, anode is fine. I do not believe it be "hammering" based on what I have read about that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Originally posted by toulon21361 View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I have a 2017 Solitude 374th and I have an issue I cannot pinpoint. Occasionally, not every time, when I flush the toilet the hot water hear makes a clanging noise. I also just heard it when my washer started to pull water to fill. I cleaned the water heater about a week ago, no large amounts of sediment, heating element is fine, anode is fine. I do not believe it be "hammering" based on what I have read about that. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Hi toulon21361 -- I have no idea what could be causing the problem, so I'll leave it to the plumbing experts. My purpose is to welcome you and to suggest checking out the New Members thread that contains info on how to get the most from your time here on the technical forum.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You could be hearing hammering. Hammering is when the pipes move violently due to the water the water comes to an abrupt stop in pipes.

Can you describe when the noise happens, I.E. when you first start the flush, when stopping the flush, has the WH just turned off? Also, is the unit in the same location when this happens (are you full time), and do you have a way to monitor water pressure? Do you have a pressure regulator on the unit, if not GET ONE.

Lastly, if it's when you are starting the flush, it's possible that the release of pressure from hot water production (many many long threads on this) will cause the PEX lines in the camper to try to become straight (as pressure increases lines want to be straight vs curved) and this is causing movement.

Sorry if there are a lot of questions and strange information, but pipe movement is hard to pinpoint without information.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hi everyone!
        KamFlyer also has a 374......a 2019. Maybe Rob will chime in and share thoughts in this for you as well.

Rob, thanks, in advance for hopefully chiming in !

Dan
        Dan & Carol
        2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
        2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I doubt that a "clanging" noise could come from a tank full of water . . . even if there were something loose in there. I would tend to go with Jlawles2 Joseph's theory on pipe movement. This should be visible by observing the area behind the water heater while someone creates the action that makes the noise.

(another) Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi everyone!
            We don't get any kind of noise like that. Do you get the 'clang' when you use any of the other taps beside the washer? Does it do it on cold, hot or both?
            Other than a water hammer, one other thing I can think of might be a sticking check valve on the output side of the hot water tank. Another, although remote, possibility would be a distortion in the hot tank that flexes when the pressure drops when a tap is opened.
            You may have to pull the wall in the front pass through to pin it down closer.
            Good luck.
            -Rob-
            -
            Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
            2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
            Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Working...
            X