Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why would you need Tank Heaters

Your experience please?

Assuming 1) you live in your trailer full-time and 2) ALL your plumbing is in a heated underbelly, why would you need Tank Heaters, even in hard-freeze conditions?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Country Campers; 12-22-2022, 06:38 PM. Reason: changed font to Forum standard
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

"That's amazing... it was right where I left it!"

You may turn on the fireplace, or other electric heater and not realize your tanks will then freeze. Or it's really cold and the tanks need all the help they can get. These trailers aren't really insulated for freezing temps...so extra heaters.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Yes, the radiant heat from the furnace duct work will heat the underbelly, but there will always be something of a transition zone along the corrugated plastic between the heated air in the underbelly and the external cold air. It is likely that the bottom of the water tanks will be in this transition zone and subjected to cold temperatures.

If the underbelly is insulated this will actually limit the spread of the radiant heat from the furnace duct work. The further away the tanks are from the duct work the less they will benefit from the radiant heat. Also, there is likely to be little to no insulation between the tanks and the corrugated plastic, so there is still that exposure to external temperatures.
      John
      2018 Momentum 395M
      2018 Ram 3500 Dually
      Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

If you are traveling in freezing temps, no furnace running, the tank heaters would probably keep them from freezing. Just a thought. The rest of the plumbing system????
        Dennis
        Dennis & Sharon
        2019 GMC 2500HD Denali
        2022 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Well tank heaters are there to aid in discharge of the materials. For anyone traveling, having the frozen liquids inside the tank would lead to them being stuck with the materials when they return home. Having heaters helps ensure that when leaving, it is possible to discharge the waste and travel home not having to deal with disposal at a later date. They also assist with dumping when extended stays are in the lower temps.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

From recent firsthand experience, we picked up our new 297RSTS in Cisero, NY in November. We had to camp that night as we were 5+ hours form home. We debated on filling the freshwater tank and using the heat pads vs just hooking up to the city water. We have never cold weather camped before. The dealer said we would not have a problem using city water.

Well, it got to 25 degrees that night. It was toasty warm inside, but by morning the water line was frozen. Lesson learned, fill the freshwater tank and use the heat pad for it.

Ron
            Ron
            2023 Reflection 297RSTS (Mid-Year Change)
            2022 RAM MegaCab 2500 Laramie, 6.4L Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              Well tank heaters are there to aid in discharge of the materials. For anyone traveling, having the frozen liquids inside the tank would lead to them being stuck with the materials when they return home. Having heaters helps ensure that when leaving, it is possible to discharge the waste and travel home not having to deal with disposal at a later date. They also assist with dumping when extended stays are in the lower temps.
              ah... that makes total sense
              2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                Yes, the radiant heat from the furnace duct work will heat the underbelly, but there will always be something of a transition zone along the corrugated plastic between the heated air in the underbelly and the external cold air. It is likely that the bottom of the water tanks will be in this transition zone and subjected to cold temperatures.

If the underbelly is insulated this will actually limit the spread of the radiant heat from the furnace duct work. The further away the tanks are from the duct work the less they will benefit from the radiant heat. Also, there is likely to be little to no insulation between the tanks and the corrugated plastic, so there is still that exposure to external temperatures.
                I've heard this Reflection has a ductless heating system, which would seem to help heat all the plumbing components. I need to confirm this though.
                2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by KEEHALLMAN View Post

I've heard this Reflection has a ductless heating system, which would seem to help heat all the plumbing components. I need to confirm this though.
                  All of GD's products have heating ducts, not sure where you heard they did not. The ducts are 4" diameter flex for the registers and 2" for heating the tanks/underbelly area. They do not have any floor registers in the living area on the floor but there may be one in the bedroom or bath.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X