Low Point Drain Freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Point Drain Freezing

We have a 295RL with the low point drain below the kitchen island. We have a problem with it freezing even when we have wrapped them in insulation, kept the furnace running, opened the cabinet doors and ran a space heater. We are only using water in the fresh water tank and have the tank heaters turned on. Temp in underbelly is in the 40's. We have water in the bathroom but none in the kitchen. We are traveling so can't use skirting. This is the second time we have had the kitchen water freeze. Any tips?

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. If you can access the frozen area, you might consider applying some heat tape to keep it from happening again. I know lots of folks wrap heat tape around exposed pipes on their houses when needed.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

We're facing the same issue. Water working everywhere but the kitchen sink. Just started. We're living in it and happen to be down in Austin Texas right now where it's 13 degrees. We had the faucet dripping but then it stopped. I'm leaving the faucet open to allow room for expansion, but should I find a way to access the pipes underneath? It's supposed to reach 30 this afternoon but then dip down to 17 again tonight before getting above freezing tomorrow afternoon.

We have a 2022 295RL
      2024 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
      2023 GMC 3500HD Dually Diesel

Comment

I ended up turning off our fireplace (electric heat) and turning the furnace up. The water started flowing from the kitchen sink again within about 2-3 hours. Keeping the fireplace off until we get back up above freezing. Also keeping the sink and a trickle instead of just dripping.
        2024 Grand Design Solitude 380FL
        2023 GMC 3500HD Dually Diesel

Comment

I never winterize my rig (stored inside when home and usually winter in it in Florida), so I removed my low point drains after having them freeze up at Bryce Canyon one particularly cold spring. They usually go up into a tee fitting, I cut out the tees and replaced with a coupler. Easy to replace if I need them down the road but for now I closed up the hole in the coroplast and it's been good since.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X