Additional Arctic Insulation for Reflections 320MKS FW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Arctic Insulation for Reflections 320MKS FW

I've recently started using my 2020 320MKS Reflections FW for winter RVing. We live in Michigan and travel to Texas during the winter months and often run into weather below freezing. I'm thinking about providing more insulation in the sub-floor along with insulation on the hot/cold water lines (pipe foam insulation). Recently my galley area lines have frozen even though my bathroom lines have been okay. I understand the sub-floor area is heated via the furnace ductwork and that it may not be well insulated and duct in the rear of the RV (near the galley area). I can also feel the difference in the floor temperature between the front bedroom (above the pass through compartmen) to the rear where the desk is located. What recommendations does anyone have in insulating the sub-floor and water lines? Thank you in advance.

Good morning and Merry Christmas.

I have a Reflection travel trailer, but the construction method is nearly identical across the Reflection line. Right above the coroplast, you'll find a thin reflective heat wrap that is similar to one of those reflective emergency blankets. When the furnace is running, the reflective heat wrap is supposed to theoretically keep enough heat in to keep the rig warm and the pipes thawed. This will work okay in temps near freezing, but once it gets really cold, it just can't keep up.

If you're experiencing freezing plumbing and uncomfortable cold, then you can modify the underbelly for better thermal control. If it were me, I'd drop the coroplast and the thermal wrap. Then, I'd cut pieces of fiberglass insulation to protect key areas such as around pipes. But you want to leave enough open area for heat from the furnace to circulate. You could also get creative and use a combinaton of heat tape and/or pipe insulation to protect the plumbing. Of course, if you install heat tape, you'll need a source of power to keep it energized.

If you do use fiberglass insulation, you want to make sure it doesn't get wet from tire spray when it's raining or a plumbing leak. If it does, you'll have to remove and replace it.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Closed Cell Rigid foam insulation directly above the coroplast might be a better choice than fibreglass batt, because it will not absorb water and have to be replaced if it gets wet. See the attachment to the first post of this thread and the subsequent discussion. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...eel-underbelly

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Mice love fiberglass insulation. Mineral wool, not so much.

Mike
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

The underbelly of an RV is inevitably going to get wet at some point. Using any insulation that will have to be replaced if it gets wet . . . doesn’t seem like a good idea.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X