Problem when De-Winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem when De-Winterizing

We finally got to de-winterize today, but ran into a problem. Nautilus P1 system. Drained antifreeze from the low points, connected to city water and opened one plumbing fixture at a time to flush with fresh water, but had very low pressure - seemed like there was a blockage somewhere. Also noticed the color changed from pink antifreeze to almost clear, but seemed to have a 'purple' tinge. Then the toilet started gurgling and there was water coming into it, but it was blackish colored, with little pieces of sediment? Tried to put water into the fresh water tank using PowerFill but it didn't want to work. Tried repeating things a couple different times, seemed like the pump quit working. Tried on city water, still had low pressure. Second time trying to powerfill tank, it worked, and then the pump started working as well. All seems good now, but wondering if anyone else experienced this, or what the black sediment stuff might be?
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Originally posted by Andi View Post
    We finally got to de-winterize today, but ran into a problem. Nautilus P1 system. Drained antifreeze from the low points, connected to city water and opened one plumbing fixture at a time to flush with fresh water, but had very low pressure - seemed like there was a blockage somewhere. Also noticed the color changed from pink antifreeze to almost clear, but seemed to have a 'purple' tinge. Then the toilet started gurgling and there was water coming into it, but it was blackish colored, with little pieces of sediment? Tried to put water into the fresh water tank using PowerFill but it didn't want to work. Tried repeating things a couple different times, seemed like the pump quit working. Tried on city water, still had low pressure. Second time trying to powerfill tank, it worked, and then the pump started working as well. All seems good now, but wondering if anyone else experienced this, or what the black sediment stuff might be?
    Is there a water filter in the system?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Is there a water filter in the system?
      Dang it, Howard, I bet that's it!! We bought a new in-line filter before we left. Threw away the box to save on space. I'm guessing it tells you to purge it before using? The color/sediment I saw was similar to what would first come out when we would have the filters changed on our house RO system.

Do you think we did any harm to anything by not purging it first?

Andi
      Andi
      Brookings SD
      2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

Dang it, Howard, I bet that's it!! We bought a new in-line filter before we left. Threw away the box to save on space. I'm guessing it tells you to purge it before using? The color/sediment I saw was similar to what would first come out when we would have the filters changed on our house RO system.

Do you think we did any harm to anything by not purging it first?

Andi
        Reads to me like the filter has failed internally. I've never "flushed" a new CAMCO filter prior to use nor have I run into any problems. However, CAMCO does recommend flushing out "carbon dust" in a new filter.

(1:24 mark)

If the filter was previously used and left in the cold, it may have frozen and in the process damaged something internally. (There's a YouTube video showing a guy cutting one open to show the internals, but I can't find it.)

I'd disconnect the water line from your camper and run water through the filter. If black sediment continues to come out, replace the filter.

If you're concerned sediment may have gotten into your camper, there's a small strainer/filter attached to the pump housing. You might want to take a look at that to ensure it is not clogged with sediment.

Click image for larger version  Name:	strainer.JPG Views:	0 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	10225

There are also small strainers on the faucets that may be clogged at this point. The bathroom faucet is easy to unscrew and check. The kitchen faucet can be confounding. I've attached a PDF below that I created last summer when I was tracking down the source of low water pressure. Hope it helps.

Faucet Disassembly v2.pdf

Cate&Rob (Rob) hopefully will chime in with any further recommendations.

-Howard
        Attached Files
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The carbon dust from a Camco filter should be fine enough that it won't plug the pump strainer or the screens in the faucets. I always flush a new filter and there is usually a good shot of black "dust" with the first water through the filter. If the filter has broken inside and you get chunks of carbon into the system, these could plug things for sure. I would disconnect the hose from the camper and run it into a pail to see how much of what is coming through the filter & hose. Once you know that the source water is clear, you can work through the faucet strainers if these are still plugged.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

howsonCate&Rob Thanks. All the fixtures seem to be working well now. We think it was just the fact that we did not flush that carbon dust out of the new filter first. Appreciate the troubleshooting documents, we will check the screens and such when we get to camp tonight. Thanks again guys!
            Andi
            Brookings SD
            2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Working...
            X