Nautilus P1 settings to siphon vinegar directly into the hot water heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus P1 settings to siphon vinegar directly into the hot water heater

I am hoping that someone on this forum can answer my question regarding our 2017 Solitude 310GK because lately, I have not had any success going through GD customer service. Several years ago, someone at GD customer service told me that I could siphon vinegar from a bottle directly into the hot water heater by setting the five valves on the Nautilus P1 in a certain way and then turning two of them to 45 degrees before starting the pump. It worked, just as they said it would. Regrettably, I didn't write down what they told me and now of course I can't remember the sequence.

If anyone else has used this method and is willing to share it with me, I will be extremely grateful!

If you're wondering why I want to do this, here's the reason. After draining the HW heater and replacing the anode with a plug, I siphoned 5 gallons of vinegar into the 12 gallon tank and then topped it off with 7 gallons of water. I turned on the heater and left it overnight. Next morning I turned off the heater, let it cool down for a few hours, relieved any pressure by turning on the hot water taps and also carefully opening the pressure release valve on the tank. When I removed the plug, you would have been amazed to see how much crud came out through the drain hole. A cursory examination of the interior of the tank revealed what appeared to be an almost pristine, like-new, shiny stainless steel interior!

Appreciate any help!

leopardhawk

I can't speak to the GD settings mentioned in your post, but I can't see why the settings as shown below won't work. (Note the diagram was drawn for another situation, so substitute the "Furrion" tank in the drawing for your 12 gallon Suburban and the antifreeze for your solution.)

All you'd have to do is "burb" the tank on occasion with the P&T valve to let out air in the system (until it overflows). Obviously the tank is OFF and water cold before draining and refilling...

Hopefully the diagram is self-explanatory. The only item I'll point out is the white line in the middle of the black cross in each lever is a physical representation of how the valve will work in that position (thus the flow of the antifreeze).

If those words aren't clear fire back with questions.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winterization with Furrion Tankless Water Heater.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	102120

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you Howard. So, if I understand this correctly, I will set the five valves to the 'winterize' positions with the exception of the red valve. This will allow me to siphon the vinegar directly into the hot water heater?

Mark

Comment

And to all the cold water plumbing. Keeping all faucets closed will limit how much vinegar enters the cold water plumbing.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by leopardhawk View Post
          Thank you Howard. So, if I understand this correctly, I will set the five valves to the 'winterize' positions with the exception of the red valve. This will allow me to siphon the vinegar directly into the hot water heater?

Mark
          Yes. As TedS stated, what you do with the faucets in the camper will determine where the vinegar-infused water will go in the camper. Leaving all of the faucets closed and using the Pressure & Temperature valve ("T&P") on the water heater (to release the air in the tank as it fills with vinegar water) should do it.

I should add that using the vinegar solution in a water heater is a new process (to me) so this is not an endorsement (nor a negative reaction) to what you're going to do...just how it can be done.

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard, the vinegar solution is slightly acidic and will help break down any calcium deposits that accumulate in the system. I do this with our home tankless heater to clean the exchanger, they do make special cleaning fluid for the task, but vinegar works just as good.

OP, you can run the vinegar solution through the entire system to help release any crud that may have accumulated through the lines.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

A word of caution if you are using the vinegar solution to break up deposits as mentioned by Jlawles2 above is to remove the screens in the faucets before flushing the systems as the deposits will clogged them. They may even end up in the toilet valve or anywhere they may collect.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                A word of caution if you are using the vinegar solution to break up deposits as mentioned by Jlawles2 above is to remove the screens in the faucets before flushing the systems as the deposits will clogged them. They may even end up in the toilet valve or anywhere they may collect.

Brian
                Excellent point, Brian! The toilet valves might be especially susceptible.

Jlawles2 -- are the other solutions (are there multiple?) "better"? I assume all the alternatives are OK for human consumption as there may be some slight residual in the system? All I've ever done is use water to flush out the RV's water heater as well as my home's water heater.

Comment

howson I don't remember the exact ones, but quick search for Tankless Hot Water Heater Cleaner came back with several:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hercules...5230/205086908
                  https://www.amazon.com/J-C-Whitlam-F...2803951&sr=8-1

My brother was a boiler chemical treater saleman for many years. We discussed things to use on cleaning and Vinegar was one of the cheaper alternatives.

For the house since I can setup at the heater with it isolated, I use 1 gallon of Vinegar and 3 gallons of water setup on a pond pump in a 5 gallon bucket. I circulate the mixture at 100F - 120F for 5 minutes, reverse the hoses, run for 5 minute, reverse and one last cycle of 5 minutes. With the home water softener the HWH cleaning solution is usually pretty clear with a few flakes floating around. I've been doing this for 5 years and it seems to keep the HWH happy.

I guess I can take the mixture and use it on the camper by setting up through the outside faucet and drop the discharge straight into the bucket with the pond pump flowing through the RV.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Since the sub-purpose of this forum is to help others spend their money: EZ-Flush Descaler Kit | Tankless Maintenance | Eccotemp

Works will for tankless WH. I used the descaling liquid that came with the kit the first time. After that I went to straight vinegar with a longer run time.
                    John
                    2018 Momentum 395M
                    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Many thanks to all. With this info, I am ready to clean the water heater again. As I said in my initial post, I did this a few years ago and it worked amazingly! You can't believe how much crud came out of the tank the next morning.

Kind regards,

Mark​

Comment

Working...
                      X