Nautilus P4-3 handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nautilus P4-3 handle

Everywhere I look there is info on the Nautilus system...but always WITH the Red water heater bypass valve. Our Reflection 150 Series 295RL has a "3-Handle" version, and NO Red valve. In the manual, there is no mention of a bypass valve for the water heater, yet in my exploration of "whats behind this wall in the basement?" there IS a separate bypass valve. When winterizing, I only blew out the water heater with air because I found a video from GD that mentioned it was optional. We have a tankless so I did not think it was necessary. There is NO mention in the manual about having to ever use the bypass valve, for winterizing, sanitation, etc..never. My main concern now is how to dewinterize (newbie). I am assuming open low point drains, hook up city water, and run till no pink stuff. Secondly, with this 3 handle version and a tankless, would I ever need to access and use the water heater bypass??

https://www.bandbmolders.com/index.php/p4-3-handle/

Unfortunately there is not a good manual yet. You may find what you want in the plumbing diagram. https://www.bandbmolders.com/wp-cont...nk-Model-1.pdf
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thank you! I have the manual but the diagrams on the website are great. It appears that setting to Winterize bypasses the WH automatically. The video I mentioned stated to set to City Water if you wanted to add antifreeze to WH. So I assume setting to City Water will flush the antifreeze through WH but eventually there will be no antifreeze so no worries. I also assume that I should never have to use the hidden WH bypass for routine functions.

Comment

Be cautious with this. The removal of the water heater bypass with the Furrion on-demand water heater is because this water heater must be winterized with antifreeze and then the two drains on the water heater opened. There is also a red knob on the back of the water heater which must be cycled. Follow the Furrion water heater information rather than the Nautilus panel information.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Ikr I'm constantly finding opposing info. I think this may actually be a dumbed down version of the Nautilus system and it's confusing me and everyone who has the red knob. This video states that for the tankless "Winterize will bypass the WH. So IF you want antifreeze in it set to City Water..." (1:50)
          https://youtube.com/watch?v=90Q3W1sHQqc&feature=shares

For now, with the instructions for the Nautilus not mentioning bypass, but is including air blow out, and the video stating antifreeze is optional for a tankless.....I have blown it out, and will not put antifreeze in it...for now. I will search the WH manual.

Thank you so much, I'm new to all this.

Comment

OK, so I have the Furrion Tankless in our 303. I blew out the lines several times, opened the filter and the drain on the HWH and then repeated the blow out. THEN I heard of the magic red knob. Not wanting to go through the horror stories about the mixing chamber and it's supply tubes, I applied air to the system and then exercised the magic red knob. Guess what, water. The red knob is the over temp / over pressure safety valve. Also the mixing chamber has a throttling valve controlled by the circuit board to promote rapid heating of the water. It will close down the valve when not heating and upon initial fire up so that the exchanger can get enough heat to meet demand (note when you first turn on the hot water, there is a loud CLICK then the blow torch burner kicks on and after a few seconds it slows down the burner to a dull roar).

Long story short, even the manual states that you will have to blow out the lines several times or cycle the anti freeze several times to get enough into the HWH for it to properly winterize.

If you look up the Furrion HWH threads on here where members post about the water fall from the HWH, you will find one where the Owner removed the unit and directed it to find the issue. In those pictures you will see how the tubes do some strange things and can easily hold water.
            Joseph
            Tow
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Furrion manual states antifreeze is optional. They do specifically instruct to isolate the WH by closing all valves and faucets when blowing out with air.

I suppose the safe thing is to do that then set to City Water and put some antifreeze thru so that the WH is protected.

Comment

rmzmsmith Definitely go with antifreeze. Rob has opened up some of his plumbing lines after using just air and found that water collects in low points in the lines with just air. Anti freeze is cheap, definitely use it and make sure it is run through the Furrion and flows out of all of it's drains. We had several owners with failures last spring, I would hate to see you join the club.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I do not have the tankless WH but I will also suggest that antifreeze is the way to go. Jlawles2 has some pretty good instructions above and having the tankless WH he has first hand knowledge.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The Furrion owner manual is very "awkwardly" written and may lose something in translation.

From the online version . . .

"While completing the blow out process for the entire water system, take time to isolate the water heater by closing all drain plugs and faucets and only open the water heater drain plug and filter cover . This ensures maximum pressure and flow is isolated through the water heater for complete evacuation . . . Antifreeze can be used directly in the water heater". . .

"The pressure safety valve needs to operate once each year to ensure this safety device is effective . . . On the back of the water heater. Rotate the pressure safety valve handle (Red) about 3-5 times counterclockwise"

If I had one of these water heaters, I would go with Jlawles2 Joseph's first hand experience and follow the process he describes in post 6.

Rob

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1368.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.0 KB ID:	102164 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1369.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	102165
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great discussion! I'm finding this very useful so far, however, how do you get to the back of the water heater to move this mystical red valve? Is this something I need to pull drawers out to find from the inside? No way I'm getting my hand behind that thing, I can barely remove the filter and drain plug as it is AND THAT'S ON THE FRONT. haha.
                      2020 Ford F-350 SRW
                      2023 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS

Comment

Originally posted by kamakazi98 View Post
                        Great discussion! I'm finding this very useful so far, however, how do you get to the back of the water heater to move this mystical red valve? Is this something I need to pull drawers out to find from the inside? No way I'm getting my hand behind that thing, I can barely remove the filter and drain plug as it is AND THAT'S ON THE FRONT. haha.
                        Yes you will need to access the rear of the water heater for the red knob. Hopefully another 297RSTS owner will be along to help you with how to access that area. TucsonJim, Is there an easy way to access the rear of the water heater in your RV?

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes you will need to access the rear of the water heater for the red knob. Hopefully another 297RSTS owner will be along to help you with how to access that area. TucsonJim, Is there an easy way to access the rear of the water heater in your RV?

Brian
                          kamakazi98
                          It's about one of the easiest one's I've ever seen to get to. If you pull out the two drawers that are under the washing machine cabinet in the bedroom, it's right there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater Check Valve 1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	102847

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim Jim, that looks like the check valve on a tanked HWH.

The red knob is probably in about the same location on the tankless heater. Looking from the rear (hopefully that is where Jim's pic is from) the red knob would be on the back right about mid way up. Note the knob is on the HWH side of the valve so you have to look for it.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Oopsie. I missed it was tankless.

Jim
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator