Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plug at black tank suspected, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plug at black tank suspected, what to do?

We had subfreezing temperatures last week around Christmas so (I had another thread about what I did) part of the getting ready I put antifreeze down the tanks including the black. I had to try draining yesterday and it wouldn't. There was "debris" that came out at first and then a pretty good-sized "plug" but since then, nothing else. I left the gate valve open and it drained down to level two on the control panel. I bought a Camco 39082 Rhino Blaster and all I got was confirmation that the gate valve is working. The outlet to the tank has to be plugged. Short of dismantling the joint there, is there anything else I can try? Will likely call a mobile tech if I have to dismantle it. FYI, I use the Bio-Geo method of cleaning very often and did when we camped in the middle of December. Appreciate any help.

Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Try dumping a 5 gallon bucket of hot water in the system and let it sit for a while, maybe 2 or 3 tries at this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Try dumping a 5 gallon bucket of hot water in the system and let it sit for a while, maybe 2 or 3 tries at this.

Brian
      Bryan, we aren't cold here anymore if that is the reasoning for the hot water. In the mid 70s during the day and upper 50s at night.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Hi Bill,

Is the pipe from toilet to tank straight down? If so, turning off the water and opening the toilet ball valve may allow you to see (with a flashlight) what is plugging the tank. It sounds like you may have a mound of solids to dissolve . . . which is what the hot water will help to do. The other possibility is that the disc cut out of the tank top when they installed the pipe from the toilet or the vent pipe, may have fallen into the tank and has finally found its way to blocking the gate valve opening.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can see straight down into the tank. We never allow it to be dry. We have drained this thing probably 75 or more times so I really don't think it would be the cutout plug. Will the antifreeze gel when it gets cold?
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, I found an old piece of stiff water hose and stuck down the toilet into the tank and wormed it around and whatever was causing the plug loosened and I was able to empty the tank. Momentary living in the rig while building a house dictates not having these kinds of hiccups. LOL
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

My wife says " there are two important things with an RV and those 2 things generally fix the problem, 1 proper battery voltage, 2 more water". I realize that you are not in the freezing temps but sometimes a little hot water followed by a little soaking will cure some of those plumbing issues. Living in the rig full time it is possible that you have not had enough water in the tank causing your issue. Start with about 10 gallons in the tank each time after you empty, use the flush every time you empty also. Being "permanent" you do not get the sloshing around effect others do while traveling to and from.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
                Cate&Rob Rob, I found an old piece of stiff water hose and stuck down the toilet into the tank and wormed it around and whatever was causing the plug loosened and I was able to empty the tank. Momentary living in the rig while building a house dictates not having these kinds of hiccups. LOL
                Bill - good to see the plug out. As your sitting I suggest you pre-charge the tank to at least 25% full with water that you have added at least 1 cup of Dawn dish soap to. This help prevent piles and to disperse and solids. It also slick's things up. I only use Dawn as others don't seem to work as well. As for antifreeze - yes it can freeze too. That's why after I winterize I drain the system again of the pink stuff..

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hi Bill,

It is going to have to get a lot colder than Texas (even in a cold snap) to freeze antifreeze. Even when it does "freeze" it turns to slush which will not break pipes . . . but this is well below 0F.

I completely agree with pre-charging the black tank with 10 gallons of water. (I think I even know where this idea came from ). We have always done this and use no chemical additives to the tank. Also . . . check that your black tank gate valve is not leaking very slowly. The best way to do this is with a closed secondary gate valve at the drain hose connection. A slow gate valve leak will drain away all the liquid in the black tank and leave the solids.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bill, if you can see straight into the tank, one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is not a bad investment. If you have enough hard PVC pipe laying around you could even make one. Back in the 1st camper I used it to blow down the walls of the tank a few times to help with the accuracy of the sensors.

Unfortunately the 303 has a double 45 dogleg in the toilet (i think its a double 45), so it does not reach into the tank, otherwise I would be using it to help keep the walls and floor clean during the off months.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Unfortunately the 303 has a double 45 dogleg in the toilet (i think its a double 45), so it does not reach into the tank, otherwise I would be using it to help keep the walls and floor clean during the off months.
                      Yup . . . some things haven't changed in 6 years of production . . .

Rob

Cate & Rob
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the further suggestions. We are very careful to precharge after every clean out and I do use the sprayer when I do. We have a good septic system so it isn't hard to do. We may have had a little less water since I had prepped it to leave for a couple of days.with a couple of below freezing days ahead of us.
                        This is the tool I was looking at yesterday prior to the clog being cleared. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Flexibl..._t1_B000BGHYDO
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

I had a plug up once on the black. Using a valterra valve on the very output where the slinky connects, I close this valve and opened the full grey tank which was full of warm shower water. This back flushed the black tank and all was well after that. Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X