Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check valve for water pump

Hello and happy new year.

4008 shurflo water pump was leaking to fresh tank. I took pump apart and cleaned everything out but nothing looked dirty and valve operated freely. So i bought an external check valve that would thread onto inlet side of pump. Upon reading more it seems everyone that does this puts the valve on the output side of the pump.

Question is, it it ok to put it on inlet side of pump or should I buy one for the output side of pump?

Thank you for replies.
    2020 2600rb

Putting the check valve on the output side means that the pump is not pressurized when not running. Normally this would be a good thing to do . . . but, with a diaphragm pump, I don’t think it would make any difference to have the check valve on inlet side . . . as long as this is not creating any leaks from the pump !

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The check valve should be on the pump outlet. The check valve on the pump inlet is too restrictive for the pump suction. A 5 psi check valve is equivalent to over a ten foot lift. Most pumps advertise max 6 to 9 foot lift capability to draw water. 5 psi on the pump outlet is not as significant for a pump with 45 to 65 psi capability.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Pumps can have a hard time pulling antifreeze through the city water inlet check valve.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Typically check valves are used on output sides as mentioned above to minimize "observed lift" by the pump because of the valve "crack" pressure.

Another reason is a bit more on the life expectancy and efficiency side. Check valve on the output side allows the pump to relieve pressure (since the pressure switch is in the pump it works the same in this case) and have a less stressful startup on large systems. The check valve on the output side will also help minimize pressure bounce cycling of the pump as the lines move (yes water lines in a camper will move slightly) possibly because of water hammer.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I went to install the one i had on the inlet side but the existing hoses were to tight . so i got one for the outlet side. It's in a storage lot so have to schedule a trip to check for leaks.
            2020 2600rb

Comment

Working...
            X