Shark bites on plumbing failing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark bites on plumbing failing

Every time we take the TT out, one of the shark bites clamps fails and there is a puddle on the floor. This is using the water in the fresh tank and the pump.

It's a good idea to keep hose clamps in your tool kit. So far I've replaced all of the kitchen sink shark bites and one in the bathroom. I'm half tempted just to buy a box of clamps and replace all of the shark bites which are already maxed out in clamping.

Just frustrated and venting with this post really.

2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 24mpr

If this is the infamous flex hose to PEX fitting, use a screw clamp and the problem will be solved. The PEX clamp is designed for the wall thickness and rigidity of PEX pipe. Not a flexible line. So the clamping force will not be there and this fitting will eventually fail. Especially at high water pressures.
    If this a PEX line, this would be an odd one. We have never had one of those to leak.

Jim

Comment

vipergts46 Many of us have totally removed the soft lines and replaced it with Pex. The only leaks I have had are from improperly tightened clamps. Once I bought a real tool that problem was solved. If it is a every trip leak, you may want to consider this task. It is much nicer to do in the driveway.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

vipergts46

Perhaps you can post a picture of the fittings you are referencing. These are likely Pex clamps on soft hose . . . and there are many threads on this forum about dealing with these. Grand Design does not use “Sharkbite” fittings.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Let us know if this is the clamp you are referring to. These are designed to provide a pre-determined clamping force.....for PEX, not flexible hose.

https://www.amazon.com/SharkBite-UC9...3730560&sr=8-5

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by vipergts46 View Post
            Every time we take the TT out, one of the shark bites clamps fails and there is a puddle on the floor. This is using the water in the fresh tank and the pump.

It's a good idea to keep hose clamps in your tool kit. So far I've replaced all of the kitchen sink shark bites and one in the bathroom. I'm half tempted just to buy a box of clamps and replace all of the shark bites which are already maxed out in clamping.

Just frustrated and venting with this post really.

2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 24mpr
            When I think of a shark bite fitting these are the ones I think about and I have found they do work well. https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/brass-push-to-connect

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The following style clamp will work best for the flexible hose connections.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/globa...ge/50-2406.jpg

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X